Tailor

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Strykstar • May 8, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you take you suits to the tailor to get a nicer fit for you?
    I think it's sometimes better to buy a cheaper suit and get it tailored for you than getting a more expensive suit off the rack that won't fit you as well.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    My family does this all the time. People tend to get fat or thin with age so having a tailor adjust the more expensive pieces of clothing is a must. This is especially true for suits since they are so darn costly. Paying the tailor some cash for adjustments it's cheaper than buying a new suit, isn't it? Visits to the tailor I also pay when I find a gorgeous dress that doesn't fit me quite well but I still want to wear it :eek:

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's definitely worth it for more expensive items or ones that COULD BE rather expensive but you're getting on sale and it isn't quite what.

What I mean is....

I wouldn't bother with tailoring on a $10 item.

I would pay for tailoring on a $300 item, though.

And I would also pay for tailoring on an item that is $70, but is on sale down from $300....but just doesn't fit me quite right. This makes it worthwhile to go ahead and spend the money on it, even though it isn't perfect.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Not a guy but I know I cheap suit when I see one and it's not pretty. From the way I see it, a man does not have to dress like Robert Palmer or Obama to have a nice suit. What I would recommend to my ex was to get a moderately-priced suit and nice accessories. Since he gained in the mid-section, I'm sure a reputable tailor would rather work with a durable fabric rather than something flimsy.

5. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    For me, the first thing I check when buying any clothes is the fit then the fabric because these two are necessary if I want comfort. Perfectly fitted clothes always look good on anybody.
    It is kind of expensive buying tailored clothes though but for me it is definitely worth it.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried it once and I wasn't impressed. The pants and coat were so huge that the tailor had to dismantle them, cut away pieces of the fabric and start sewing all over again. What the guy charged me for his services was so much that I decided never to have my clothes resized by a tailor, again.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    It's almost like he made a new suit from raw cloth, no wonder it was so darn expensive. I made it a rule to never go to the tailor for modifications that cost over 20% of the price I payed for the clothes. And I never use a tailor for cheap or second-hand clothes.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh that's not good! You shouldn't have a drastically different size to be tailored. It's well worth it to tailor a suit that is within a size, though, or one that just doesn't fit quite right.

So had that suit been wearable, but just a bit baggy in the shoulders and the crotch, then it would've been ideal to tailor. Your tailor never should've told you he could tailor a suit that was clearly too large and required so much work!