Taking down Christmas Decorations... sort them, sell some?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Dec 30, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, as I begin to take down and put away the Christmas decorations, I'm noticing that there are some I don't really use any more. I should give them away or perhaps sell some of them. Have you had any luck selling any? I know I'll pick up more during the post holiday sales, so I need to make room. I'm debating about selling some of the nicer ones and donating the rest. I'll see if my kids want any of them first. If I do decide to sell some, should I try E-bay? What do you think? What do you do when you have too many holiday decorations?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know some people sell their vintage decorations on ebay. If you think your decorations are valuable list them and see if someone is willing to pay you for the item.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt people would buy many second hand decorations unless they are really old or expensive. Decorations generally look the best brand new, and are pretty cheap and common. I would just reuse them for next year, mix and match decorations you don't use for more variety, instead of buying new decorations!

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're sure that you really want to dispose of them already, then there's no harm in trying to sell it on Ebay and see if people will be interested in buying it. You can also try to auction the item to attract buyers with the initial low price.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't try to sell them, what I make wouldn't be enough to do much of anything with anyway. I do have a lot that usually ends up staying in the bins through the holidays, but I figure, I got rid of all of my extras in every other aspect of my home and life.. and Christmas is my fave time of year.. so why not keep them? Styles change over the years, I may use them again and they aren't taking up any extra space or I would get rid of them. So for now, I'll keep them. Or maybe I'll donate them to a women's shelter or something.

6. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    I have sell my some Christmas decoration on internet auction by putting initial low price and in the end, I got my best selling price for it. You can try another option like olx website where people sell anything and get sufficient selling price, by the way, this is the best time for selling because after Christmas most people choose this option to make some space in their living area.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally wouldn't bother trying to sell them. I don't think you'd make much from them anyway. Christmas decorations're easily accessible and can be bought cheap, so I don't think many people would bother buying them second hand let alone go to the troubles of scouring the net for second hand ones. I know I wouldn't, but then that's just me. If I were you I'd donate them.

8. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the others. Unless they are particularly old or valuable, in which can you can try Ebay, I'd take them to the Salvation Army. Some family will probably be delighted to find them there and their happiness will probably be greater than any (likely negligible) profit you'd otherwise have made. Good luck with getting rid of them!!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You'll pay an insertion fee for listing your Christmas decorations on E-bay.

Fact though is no one will be looking for Christmas decorations at this time of the year. That means you'll have to wait a really long time before you sell the decorations [if you'll sell them at all]. If the decorations aren't bought then you'd have lost money [ebay's listing fee] and you'll be stuck with the decorations anyway.

Since all you want is to get rid of them, I suggest that you donate them. Much as you'd not make any money from them since they'll be of use to someone the joy that would bring the recipient of your donation should be payment enough for you.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would donate them unless they are old or valuable. I once got $57 for an ornament on eBay, but it was a Christopher Radko limited edition I Love Lucy ornament. Just regular Christmas decorations from Walmart won't sell for much.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yea, it's really going to be great to sell some, but I think it's not going to be practical especially if those decorations are new and that they could still be reused next holiday. Because if you are going to sell them, you'd really have to sell them in a cheap price. And it's not going to be ideal if you just bought those at a high price and then your going to sell them right away after the holiday, during which the price should have dropped.