Taking food into the theater

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jessi • Aug 14, 2012.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the movies very often. But I always bring my own snacks. They easily fit into my purse. Buying snacks at the snack bar can cost your more than the movie tickets. Plus my brother used to work in a movie theater and I'm not big on eating movie popcorn.

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes eat outside before going inside the theater. chances is that if I eat, I then must drink. I will eventually have to go to the comfort room to pee so I'd miss some scenes for sure and I don't like it. However, I sometimes bring candies.

3. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    We joined a rewards program for the movies and use a card to get 10% off the food. It's still expensive but we buy a two person combo. It's part of the experience. If I went more often I would think about it.

4. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually always make a point of having lunch or dinner right before the movie, that way I'm not hungry while I'm there. If I bring my kids I do like to purchase popcorn and a drink but if it's just me then I don't.

5. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, the theater closest to me allows us to bring food in because it's located in a mall. You can actually bring real food in. I've seen people eating wings, sandwiches, pizza and Thai food. Most people are good about cleaning up their mess so they haven't banned it. I don't like theater food. The buttery popcorn gives me a headache, the nachos are about $8.00 for a cheaper brand/something you can make at home for a fraction of the price, the candy was always super old when I did purchase it (besides you can get movie candy 3/3 at Walgreens. I think they should go down on their prices because most people will not pay for that food when the prices are way more expensive.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I never go to the movies, but my husband goes all the time and always brings in his own snacks. This was a compromise between us, because I felt like he was spending too much at the movies and wanted him to stop going altogether. I don't know how he never gets caught, but he does it fairly often.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Wow, that's awesome! I guess it makes sense if it's in the mall. They wouldn't necessarily be able to keep people from bringing food in. I wish that's how mine was.

8. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    My wife always has a massive purse so it is awesome; we usually will buy those big sodas. Even though they are like $4 each, you at least get free refills. We get there early, sneak in some rum, and have a few drinks. We usually bring our own snack foods. A lot of times though, we go to the mall movie theater. It costs the same and we can bring outside food into the theater.

9. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with bringing your own snacks into the theater as long as they aren't messy, smelly or loud. For example, taking fried chicken into the theater is probably not a good idea. It's going to stink up the whole place. A bag of potato chips is very loud, so that's disrespectful to other movie watchers. However, I see nothing wrong with bringing your own drinks and snacks.

10. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Haven't been to the movies in a long tome. Used to be one of my favorite pastimes. The theatre that I went to a lot, was near the food court at the nall and I would always get something from Chick-fil-a, or some candy. I worried about the smell of the chicken, but I never had a problem. Never took a drink inside. Fun times.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I'll usually eat something before I go to the movies that way I save money. I have had to sneak in ribs while I was watching a movie. I wanted some real food, and not the junk food they sell at the concession stand. It's my right as an American to nibble on some ribs, or anything else that I want while I watch a movie. I'm not hurting anyone, although I might get a little grease on the arm rests, but that can be cleaned by the ushers.

12. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my husband sneak in food all the time. I usually have a large purse to begin with so I empty out most of the contents with the exception of my wallet and cram the rest with snacks. We usually stop at the store and buy Reese's, Twizzles, and other candy. We usually buy bottle cokes as well and put them in my purse too. The only thing that we do buy at the theater is popcorn.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather go out to dinner before or after the movie than eat during the movie. You could have a nice dinner at a sit down restaurant for what you would pay for a popcorn and a soda at the movie theaters. I never really understood why people can't make it through an hour and half without munching on something. Not to mention, if you happen to have one of those coupon books there are often buy one get one free coupons for restaurants near the theater looking to snag some of the movie goers after the show.

14. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I would never, ever buy from a movie theatre. It's just way too expensive and not worth it. If I bring anything from the outside with me it'll be my water bottle or a snack, like pretzels. What sucks is when people bring their McDonald's, Burger King or Wendy's combos into the theatre and it stinks up the entire cinema. But I can understand their reasoning.

15. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It's only wise to bring your own snacks in the theater indeed because they're a bit pricey. I sneak in my snacks inside my purse and I always have a bottled water with me as well. I save a lot!

16. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    We usually eat first before we watch a movie, so no, we don't sneak in food into the theatre. If I feel like snacking, I'll buy a tub of popcorn from the concession stand at the theatre. Oh but if there's Famous Amos, then I'll buy the cookies, which we are allowed to bring in because it's part of the cinema.

17. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I'd never take my own food into a theater. When my children are very young, though, I'd take their sippy cup with juice/water if we went to a movie. Even though the prices are high, we buy a large popcorn and large drink and share. One theater in our town has free refills on the large popcorn and drinks, so we get at least one refill, and feel slightly better about spending $10 on a snack.

18. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    If you are referring to bringing your own food or drinks into the theater, I do not believe they allow it. If they did, nobody in their right mind would spend the money they charge for food and drinks. They probably make more money on food and drinks than they do on tickets even though those are expensive too.

19. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    I always take some drinks and snacks in my bag as it is just to expensive to buy them whilst you are there, it almost doubles the cost of the trip!

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes I am.

And no, they don't usually.

Which is why I'm asking about the people who do take in their own snacks/foods anyway. It's usually slipped into a purse or other bag and they avoid having to buy from the counter instead.