Taking food into the theater

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jessi • Aug 14, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    As someone who works in the entertainment business I can tell you that sneaking food in to a movie is immoral. It's stealing. They ALLOW you to eat in THEIR theater and they are well within their rights to only allow food they sell. Bringing your own is taking money from them, plain and simple. Theaters aren't doing so good. They need all the profits they can get and denying them that is immoral to me.

2. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    We do bring our own snacks and drinks. Its usually water and something reasonably healthy. A 2+ hour movie you do need a snack. I dont have an issue with it because if I wanted popcorn or a hotdog thats been spinning on a rack for god knows how many hours Id get it.

3. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I always sneak candy and pop into the movie theater. The food is expensive, so why not sneak in your own food. Even though the funny thing about this is that everyone is sneaking in their own food.

4. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Immoral? How is it moral to charge $5 for a pack of Twizzlers that you can buy for $1 elsewhere. The $1 one is already getting at massive markup so you are adding even more to it. A large popcorn and two sodas are like $20 now and that is moral?

AMC was sued for price-gouging but as "someone who works in the entertainment business," you find us to be immoral? Please, get a grip.

5. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Theaters make almost all of their money from the concession stands. When you steal from them, they lose money and sooner or later they're going to have to close. Is it worth it to ruin the joy of going to see a movie on the big screen, not just for yourself but everyone who goes there, so you can save a few bucks?

And unnecessary stealing is always immoral.

6. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Currently, I do take my own snacks into the theaters since I do not want to break my healthy eating habits, but I always purchase theater snacks for my nieces and nephews. They love the variety of treats there and the theater allows me to take in snacks for myself because I purchase snacks there for the little ones.

7. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    My brother and his friend bring their own popcorn and candy to the movies and I think it is brilliant. The prices the theaters charge for snacks and beverages on top of the ticket price is high, so I assume many people do this. I have not been so brave however :D

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry love, but you're being silly. Spending 20 dollars on snacks/drinks in this economy is simply impossible. Getting the money up just to afford an adult ticket can be an exercise in husbandry. That is why the theaters are doing so poorly. If they wouldn't persist in charging ever so much in tickets and snacks maybe they could make it up in simple sells. As an exercise perhaps you could find a comparison between prices now and prices in say the great depression. Something tells me those theaters were smart enough not to completely break the bank.

That said - I have been sneaking food into the movies since I was child . And that was with the encouragement of my mother. I have snuck in any number of things - pizza, burgers, ribs, popcorn, crackerjack boxes, soda bottles of various sizes, sports drinks, cake, cookies, doughnuts, candy, even chinese food in take out boxes. And I'd do it all again too - I paid an absurd amount of money to watch a film and I am going to enjoy what I like as I watch it.

9. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Are you kidding? I have a special cooler bag that looks like a purse to do it. lol. Our theater has been offering coupons though via email. Usually you buy the drink and the popcorn is free or vice versa. Now, I only have to use my cooler purse when they have a coupon for nachos or something else I wont use. Otherwise I just feel like a sucker.

#49Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I understand making money off the concession stand. I think a lot of people simply aren't going to buy from there anyway. They'll sit in the theater without food or drinks at all for the 2 hours rather than spend that kind of money. They simply can't afford that on top of the already insane ticket prices. Do you see it as "stealing" still if they take their own if they never had any intentions of buying it from them?

11. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I actually just ventured into the concessions area and I was surprised. There are so many healthy snacks now. The theater had Naked Juice, pretzels & hummus, sweet potato chips, coconut water, sandwiches and a few other healthy options. I remember reading that a medium sized movie popcorn equals 3 Quarter pounders if you eat the entire thing. I've always avoided them. Now that they have those healthy options for reasonable prices, I purchased something.

#51Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  12. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    There are food that aren't available in their stand so they should allow people to bring them food in the first place.

13. sparkle73

sparkle73Member

Threads:
    :cool:Yes, I am also guilty of bringing food into the movie theaters, small snacks. Most of the time, especially if I hadn't eaten anything prior to going to see the movie. The food is so very expensive and smelling that popcorn makes you hungry, and if you don't do something about it. It will drive you to either pay for their products or bring your own.

14. chizky

chizkyNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know if there are theaters in our country that allows that. Usually its a must to buy their own food @_@, which for me is unfair. They are overpricing everything. But if given the chance I would love to bring my own food. I can buy in cheaper in groceries I guess :)).

15. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, most folks are breaking rules by dragging food into the theater - they just don't care. Is it especially hard to sneak in goods where you're from? No big purses allowed, no baggy clothing, no suspicious rattling? No baby bags? Yes, diaperbags work well and I have very little shame... Actually I lack any shame. Yeah me!

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Immoral is a pretty strong word. Price gouging to make a profit is immoral in my opinion. If movie theaters are hurting for profits, then it's time for them to start doing some creative thinking to get more customers through the door. Gouging customers and then getting mad because they don't participate is downright silly.

17. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    I normally don't sneak food in or even buy any food at movie theaters. I tend to eat before I even go into the theater. That way, I'm not hungry and won't be tempted to pay some ridiculous amount of money for popcorn and a drink.

18. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    You still haven't given any plausible explanation to how people would be stealing and are immoral? This is just you trying to be a troll, and a very poorly executed attempt. I know they make almost all of their money from concessions...yet you fail to acknowledge that movie theater chains were being sued for price gouging. It is immoral and illegal to sky rocket your prices after you ban people from bringing their own food.

19. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    When I was a child, my parents would take us to the local grocery store and let us pick out some candy right before we went to the movie theater. My mom would keep our stash in her purse and divide it amongst us when we took our seats. I learned from an early age that buying snacks from the theater was just too expensive. I continued this tradition into my early 20's. Now I usually just eat at home right before we leave or pack a small container of almonds in my bag. I know some people may think that it's wrong to bring in food to a movie theater, but I see it as being frugal and smart.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy food in the supermarket before I watch a movie, and it's perfectly fine doing so in my country, since the guards never confiscate them. Why pay for overpriced food when you can buy them for a much cheaper price at the supermarket right?