Taking food into the theater

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jessi • Aug 14, 2012.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    I would never buy anything at the cinema. All the food is extremely overpriced and unhealthy to boot. In addition, I find the noise from the food distracting from the movie so I would not eat at the cinema anyway. As a result, I would not bring my own food to the cinema either. I suspect they do not particularly like people to bring their own food anyway.

2. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's alright to bring something along to help defray the bloated prices of everything connected to a movie theater. But, it helps to have a meal sometime before going to the theater. After all, you're there to see a movie, not have a meal. Something to sip, and maybe occasionally munch is fine, while avoiding the ridiculous prices at the theater.

3. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say as far as candy I usually always bring in those from the Dollar Tree. I do always get some Popcorn and a drink. My husband and I share so it comes out cheaper. I haven't really been to the Movies lately, because we can always watch movies that come out within a week or so on a movie streaming site.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I think that there is nothing wrong with taking food into the theatre because the prices where I live are extremely high as well. I usually buy packs of peanuts and candies when I go with my friends. A big bag of nacho cheese lasts us much longer than the candy bar that is sold for three dollars at the theatre. I honestly don't even know anyone who buys food at the movie theaters.

5. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Do it all the time. The worst was when I took a can of pop in, dropped it and then my friend opened it and it started to fizz everywhere! He was seconds away from having it explode over the woman in front of him!

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine what the appeal of movie theater food is anyway. It's not like it's ever good food. It's usually really greasy, and worse than fast food.

7. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    I always stop at the dollar store and purchase a theater box of candy before I go to the movie. I think I am going to start buying a Coke to put in my over sized purse also. I think it is getting to be that paying $5 for a Coke is way too much. I think maybe also, I will put a personal size microwave popcorn in their. Then I will be all set. It is not like they can actually check my purse at the entrance.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always have to bring food with me at the cinema. I think it enhances the viewing experience and I find it very fun, it especially makes you feel more at home. I don't like cinema food that much either to be honest. They are often overpriced and stale, which really boggles me since I know that they do have a lot of customers so I don't see any reason why they cannot improve on their quality.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well there is something wrong with it because it's not allowed, not at the cinemas I go to anyway. I think people buy it because they see it as part of the cinema experience, buying the popcorn and the drinks.

10. Danblu

DanbluMember

Threads:
    I never sneak food or drinks in but that's just because I hate all the munching and sounds that come from people eating during a movie. I know it mostly applies to popcorns and chips but I hate it. The most I usually do is buy a coke or something now and then but that's it.

I do, however, know of friends of mine that took an entire McDonald's big mac menu inside once, the whole thing, and ate it there!

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I had never thought about that.

The theater is always so loud that I can rarely hear people around me. I've been pretty lucky in that I don't often go to movies that have packed rows all throughout either, so there's usually some space between people.

12. Rocky

RockyMember

Threads:
    There is no way that I am buying a $5 bottle of water! The snacks are ridiculously expensive and not healthy in the least. If they had organic popcorn I might think about it but I don't need to fill up on chemicals while I watch half an hour of commercials before my movie.
    We go to the grocery store and get water, dark chocolate and other healthier snacks and then smuggle them in. I haven't been caught yet! :)

13. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I bring snack in a movie house. I eat while watching. The food there is a bit expensive. So I buy my food outside and just bring it. I don't see anything wrong with it. The price of their bottled water is trice the normal price. It's not practical to buy food there.

14. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy drinks but I usually take my own snacks with me I am not going to pay all that money for a little bag of candy when I can bring my own and save money. It's crazy how much they ask for the snacks there.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather go out to eat before or after the movie personally. For what you pay for movie theater food, you could go somewhere like Applebees or TGI Fridays and have a few appetizers and drinks and tip. You might even save a few dollars. Plus you don't have to deal with the theater employees giving you crap about bringing food in.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They will never in a million years sell food I would ingest, so I'm all for taking the food in with me.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It's only disallowed because it prevent the theaters from profiting off highway robbery. Honestly, I can get a huge box of candy for a dollar, I can get a nice personal sized drink for 65 cents, and I can get a burger or such off the value menu at BK or MickyD or Wendy's. So this is just kind of ridiculous - movie prices I mean.

18. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    I'll admit I sneak snacks in from time to time. :/ It's just that candy prices are so expensive in movie theatres, you know? I do always pay for popcorn though...

19. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    ...99% of the movies i watched was at home so, i really didn't had to take food anywhere, it was already with me in the first place. Also, no break during the movie, i hate that in theaters.