Tanning salons: Good or Bad?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 26, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    There seem to be two opinions on indoor tanning. It is either a healthy way to get some colour and vitamin D3 or it is a dangerous way to expose yourself to the risk of skin cancer.

Many people I know will head out to the tanning places at this time of year to get themselves a little colour before summer hits. They believe that this base tan will reduce the chances of a burn. When you live in Canada it can be a sweater day on Monday and a T-shirt day on Tuesday so a lot of us are pretty pale on that first warm sunny day. I like natural exposure myself keeping an eye on the length of time I am in the sun and getting a little at a time in the cooler weather.

Do you support the tanning industry to make yourself look better or do you think it is a health hazard?

2. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer natural exposure as well, I don't like indoor tanning, I get the feeling that those tans are clearly artificial anyway...
    I guess I've just heard so many times that that sort of tanning is bad for you that it's sort of hardwired into me now, even if they are safe to use.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On the show My Strange Addiction , they showed a teenage girl that was addicted to tanning beds. She tanned more than once a day, every day and would get around the laws by going to different tanning salons. As a result, she was a teenage girl with the wrinkled hands of a 60 year old. There is no such thing as a safe tan. The only tan that is not dangerous is a spray tan or self tanning lotion, or bronzer.
    If you must have a golden glow and you don't want sun damage, stick to brushing on some bronzer or getting a spray tan. I'd rather look orange than get skin cancer.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Indoor tanning salons that have sun beds or sun showers expose you to the same risks as sunbathing without sunscreen. Tanning salons that offer spray tans are a better option as they pose no known health risks. Normal exposure to daylight should give you Vitamin D. However, due to people working longer hours indoors and children not playing out there has been an increase in Vitamin D deficiency in the UK. Supplements are available to counteract this.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been in a tanning salon before, and I don't intend on going to one. There is nothing wrong with going to the pool or the beach and sun tanning for a little bit before 10 p.m. or after 4 p.m.. That is exposing your skin the natural sunlight, even if exposure to the sun is not highly the recommended anymore. But tanning with artificial light doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I stick with either sun tanning for a little bit or applying self tanner.

6. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't think very many people hold the opinion that a tanning salon is "healthy," probably not even the people that go to them. It's such a dumb and dangerous habit. Tanning too much not only puts you at a higher risk of skin cancer, but also just makes you look awful and turns your skin to leather after time. If you need vitamin D, change your diet or get in the REAL sun. I don't go tanning because I'm naturally pale with red hair, so it just doesn't look right. If I want a little bit of subtle color, I just use a gradual self-tanner.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never be in a tanning salon even if it was free, I think that's unhealthy and I would not pay just to get a tan. I love the beach and I get my tan naturally there in the summer and with sun protector so that I don't damage my skin.

8. canoe

canoeMember

Threads:
    Bad. Very bad. Any kind of tanning, both artificial and natural is bad for your body as they both contain uv rays. However studies have shown artificial tanning only has negatives while natural tanning can also have positives. For example, although both types of tanning emit uv rays which inflict all types of damage on your body, at least natural sunlight promotes vitamin D in your body which is essential. The type of vitamin d you gain from sunlight can't be gained from vitamin d supplements. You might as well just naturally tan if you must tan.

9. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I have very fair skin, so I burn quite easily. I used to go to the tanning salon when I was younger to get a base tan before a holiday down South. Now that I am a bit older, I would never step foot in a tanning salon. I even make my own natural sunscreen, tanning beds are not something that I would take part in now.