Target: Online vs In-store experience

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by JenVarsity • Mar 30, 2012.

1. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Aside from the human error of in store experiences, it's a huge benefit with the fact that you can literally just get out of bed and "shop" in the comfort of your own home online.

2. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had a bad experience shopping in-store at Target, though I do prefer the website. Especially since not all of the Target's in my area have the same items in stock. Sometimes I prefer the website just so I do not have to travel between different Target locations to get specific items. I have found Target's website to have better prices than the Walmart's in my area do.

I have not viewed the website DontPayFull.com so I am looking forward to taking a look at the site to see what deals I may be able to find on there that I cannot get in the stores.

3. Ella Bella

Ella BellaNew Member

Threads:
    I have shopped online and in-store. There have been a few Target's that I have visited where I wouldn't return because I see how it's consistently badly managed. Either way I prefer to shop in-store because it's easier. Granted there are some items not available in-store but I mostly go to Target for around-the-home essentials. I generally visit their website to see what new shoes, clothes, appliances, and electronics they are carrying. I like that they offer a review system for all their items.

4. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried shopping online at Target yet so I don't have an opinion on that. But I actually like the Target we have in town. They just recently expanded and turned into a Super Target so that's even better (I guess they're competing with the Super Wal-Mart that is across the street). But the store here is very clean and organized. The workers are friendly and helpful too (same can't be said about Wal-Mart).

5. renmew

renmewMember

Threads:
    Hmmm, I really enjoy my Target. When I can remember, I even try to buy groceries there when it's convenient on the way home from work. The stores here in Los Angeles are clean and the workers are so-so, and that's if you can even find anyone. One time my 3 year old dd hid in a clothing rack and thought it would be fun to be very quiet. The worker I quickly found immediately put their lost child procedure into effect and the store was shut down in seconds. I was grateful and impressed.

6. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I have had many bad in-store experiences with Target (I'm suprised I still shop there), from mislabled prices, to items ringing up wrong, to expired food items, to having a hard time with a return. I have never shopped online with Target because I live close to a store, but the experience has to be better than what the store has to offer. I generally prefer to shop online if a store isn't located super close to my home.

7. shanontherocks

shanontherocksNew Member

Threads:
    I have had great experiences at the Targets here in South Carolina. I love the friendly customer service. I once won a gift gard for 10 bucks during an event they were having. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I needed to get some cute onsies because I was expecting my daughter. The Starbucks inside doesn't hurt the atmosphere either.

8. l33t

l33tMember

Threads:
    I think I have the same experience. I have listed some pros (the cons are just the opposite of pros):
    Pros of Shopping in Store @ Target
    You can actually touch the item.
    If it doesn't look right, you don't have to buy it.
    Human (non virtual) support.
    Sometimes cheaper.

Pros of Shopping Online @ Target
    Easily figure out whether coupons are valid or not.
    Easily find the product.
    Easily find deals online instantly that don't need to be printed.
    If it says it's in stock, it is.

9. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer shopping at Target instead of online. I don't like paying for the shipping and then waiting to get it shipped here. I would rather shop and get the product right away. I have been to several Targets and liked all of them. I was just there a couple of days ago and had some great customer service. I can't lift too much and the employee in one of the departments was more than happy to lift the product up for me in the cart and told me to have someone take it to the car for me. They were more than happy to help me with that. I also prefer to try clothes on before I buy it to make sure that it fits. I can't do that when I shop online. I feel that the Targets in my area are clean, friendly and helpful.

10. dj3000

dj3000New Member

Threads:
    I have had trouble with Target, too. I was looking for tissues, and they were not in the right aisle. I agree that it is very unorganized, but I don't mind shopping there. They have almost everything I need to buy for really cheap. It saves me some money on gas.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I never shopped at Target online, but I do shop in-store. My experience has been pleasant for the most part, but I noticed when I ask them for help, most of the time they don't know what they're talking about. I was in Target shopping for a smartphone, and the man didn't know where anything was in the store.

Maybe he was new, so I asked a woman where to find the memory for the phone, and she just shrugged her shoulders. I eventually found the manager of the department, and he pointed me in the right direction.

I think this is why businesses are having a hard time staying open because of poor customer service. From now on, I will do most of my shopping online.

12. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I love Target, but the closest one is a half-hour away. I'm glad because every time I go in there, I always end up coming out with way more than I planned for. lol. I haven't bought anything on-line yet because it is cheaper for me to drive to the store than to pay shipping costs. But I do love that you can order on-line and return in-store.

13. edgytees

edgyteesNew Member

Threads:
    The Target stores in the Akron are of Ohio are great! I would much rather shop there compared to Walmart. Target is large, clean, and usually has the best prices. I also shop on target.com a lot as well. Love both experiences!

14. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I am the opposite from JenVarsity, I love the in-store experience of Target but have never actually used their online store. The online store just seems useless when you can get items a lot cheaper off Amazon and Ebay. The Target by my house is extremely nice and almost seems futuristic. They are extremely eco-friendly and the workers are nice and willing to help. I guess it is a different experience store to store.

15. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    Hi Jen. That stinks that you have bad experiences at the stores. I live in Michigan and have not had too many bad in-store issues. They are clean, well organized and almost always have what I'm looking for. Maybe your local stores have some management issues or something. ? I have only ordered a few things online and haven't had any trouble there either.

16. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never even tried online. The only thing I mess with is Amazon because I have a prime membership with them and I get free shipping. Also I used to
    work at Target...its really not that bad.

17. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I've had different experiences with Target in-stores. It's always bright, clean, and organized with helpful staff whenever I go. Maybe it's only your store. To be honest, I almost never ask an employee for help because it's really not that hard to navigate around the place and look at the darn signs.

18. emmit6378

emmit6378New Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting thread to me. Recently I posted a thread on Kmart and my bad experience with them. I had not ever been to target until I stopped going to kmart and now I will never go back. Target has been good to me in all aspects. All of our local stores are immaculate inside and out. In terms of the employees, they are pretty good for working in retail. They were almost too helpful at times depending on what store I was in. It is possible to tell the difference in managerial skills in those stores. I think a good manager will make sure that an employee will not smother their customers :)

19. TheCause

TheCauseBanned

Threads:
    I have had experiences like that in Targets in smaller towns. The town I just moved from though, had a population of 50,000 people, and growing massively (right outside of Nashville, TN).
    They had just built a new Target. It was clean, and the staff was friendly.
    I actually went there recently though, because I saw something on their website I wanted. I didn't even think to check if it was only available online. After driving 1 hour, it wasn't an "in-store" item.
    But as mentioned, not having an "in-store" experience is human error. I have worked for corporations, where I gave 110%, knowing for a fact people at other places wouldn't have as good of customer service.
    Also, a lot of cleanliness, and staff helping issues depend on the GMs (General Managers) that run it. If they don't DEMAND making sure the bathrooms are always clean, then the employees will slack off a little in that area.
    As for your original post, no, not all are like that. Some are very high maintenance.

20. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    I actually enjoy both the store experience and the online experience. However, I must say the online can be much better for me for two reasons. The first reason is because I notice when I actually go into a Target store I always end up spending more money then I intended because I am constantly side tracked from seeing other items in the store. So shopping online helps me to avoid spending extra money because when I am on the website I search for the item that I need, check out and I am finished. Also, I enjoy the online experience because I can find more items online than in the store. Most times I can find items much cheaper online as well because cheaper items sell out faster in the stores.