Tax Free Weekend

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Diane Lane • Aug 3, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This weekend is one of the 'Tax Free' weekends that many parents and others use to save money on back to school items and other supplies, here in Texas. Many states have tax free weekends, but this information applies specifically to Texas. A simple internet search can bring up applicable information about when other states are holding their tax free events. This

has some basic information, as well as a link to a list of items that qualify for tax free status.

If you don't have children, don't skip the article or the sales, because many of the tax free items can be used for other purposes, some that don't even appear to be related to school, so take a look, and happy shopping.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh wow, that sounds like a fab initiative and will surely go a long way to helping a lot of parents, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane! You guys are so lucky, and I've never heard of such a thing anywhere. Out of curiosity, I had a quick look at the list of items that fall within this category and these are the types of essentials that a lot of people will struggle with buying. They say every little helps, and I'm sure a lot of households will benefit :)

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, @Lushlala@Lushlala, a lot of people have learned to take advantage of the special weekend in order to stock up on items for other purposes. Apparently since underwear is on sale, that also includes Victoria's Secret lingerie, so many people have learned to shop there and at other lingerie stores during the tax free weekend. A lot of the school supplies are also used by small businesses, so they too can take advantage of the tax savings, and many of the clothing items cover adult sizes, as well as children's sizes, so many people just do their general shopping on these specific weekends.

4. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I love the country where I live but I am jealous of the places that have this tax free holiday. It makes to wonder what the reasoning is behind it, or the historical circumstances that led to it. There have always been a suspect attitude towards taxes though, so I am glad to see a country accept that, which is nice. I hope that you can take advantage of this little unique holiday that you guys have.

5. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    They had the sales tax weekend in my state too this past weekend. I don't have any school age children but I did need to purchase a new computer so I waited until the sales tax weekend to do so. Every dime I can save is just more money in my pocket. I think this is a great idea.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Wow Diane Lane, that's crazy! I don't believe Victoria's Secret lingerie is also include on the list! I'd love to get my hands on those hehe This certainly sounds like a very good initiative that will bring relief to many a household. Those small businesses must really take full advantage of the tax break initiative. Definitely something that we'd love to have at our disposal. I hope you got some fab deals out of it, Diane :)