Tearing Paper Towels

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Feb 25, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I admit, I used to tear a paper towel in half if I only needed a small piece for something. I've also torn them in half to use for napkins for the kids when they were little. I was really glad when they came out with those "select a size" paper towels, so you can tear off a little or a lot as needed. Have you ever done something like this to save money?

I've seen a lot of people writing in various places about tearing

in half.

2. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I always tear my paper towels in half. If I don't need a whole paper towel I hate wasting them. Even when I buy the ones you can tear at the half, I still tear those lol. I have two kids so I usually give them a half each. I also do that with dryer sheets. I try to stretch my dollars in anyway I can.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I didn't necessarily do it to save money. I just hated wasting a huge papertowel on something small.

I really don't buy them often anyway and prefer to use real towels/washcloths for most things. When I do buy them, though, I get the smaller sized ones like you're talking about.

4. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I never thought of it as saving money but it does. I do it subconsciously, and so does my 13yo daughter. It just seems wasteful to use more than necessary. Also, I tend to keep old washcloths to use for stuff so that we don't use as many papertowels. I haven't heard of people doing this with dryer sheets but I don't like their smell so I use dryer balls there.

5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I see some paper towels right now which are cut much smaller compared to before. I think that's a really good idea. I hate wasting things like this and sometimes, you really don't need such a huge slice all the time. Also, paper towels are not getting cheap these days!

I also look into the quality of paper towels, because I think they are more worth your money in the long run compared to buying cheap but low quality ones.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I never really used paper towels before -- there was really no need for me, at all, but whenever I ate at someone's place, they'd rip out this huge thing of paper towel for me and I'd blanch a bit because it was so HUGE.

But like ^ before me mentioned, now they sell smaller paper towels - the ones we have now are maybe around a dozen centimeters (that you unroll before ripping out), and that's much more reasonable! I enjoy it. I often need not more.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I still don't see smaller cut paper towels locally but that is a great way to save up. I'm not a fan of paper towels though. I use a dedicated rag for cleaning. But then again cleaning them with fresh water makes me consider using them. So it's either I am saving some trees and wasting water or it will be the other way around when I use paper towels. Such a dilemma.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My grandma used to WASH her paper towels! And it worked! lol I couldn't believe it the first time she told me to gentle use it and then dry it out. Mind you, she used a very absorbent brand that proves to be stronger than most brands. Maybe that is why it could withstand a washing.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always torn them in half as a force of habit if it is for myself as I know how much I need to use. I do like the newer rolls where you can choose to tear off a smaller portion, but I still choose how much of that to use. I know some people prefer a cloth, but I do like to use them for hygiene purposes.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There used to be a brand called "Rinse and Reuse Bounty." I don't know if they still make them or not, but I never see them around here. They actually worked! If it wasn't anything gross that you were cleaning up, you could rinse them up, wring them out gently, and use them again.

I remember getting a free sample of it once, and in the middle of cleaning I ran out of paper towels. I didn't want to run out to the store, so I tried out the sample, and they worked really well.

Part of the reason I tear mine in half is also to avoid waste. I just don't like wasting things, like Jessi said. I use far fewer paper towels altogether these days than what I used to use though.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not use any of the paper towels. I usually use proper napkins. I do not like the concept of paper towels and I think it is a waste of money. I do believe napkins are the best.

12. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:

Yes, I tear paper towels and it irritates me when my husband does not follow my example. He also tends to buy the wrong kind sometimes because he does not read the packaging. Instead of the select the size, he gets to full sheets. Of course I then have to tear them. I will even tear them in half the other way depending on what I am using them for. I also save paper plates if they are not fully messy. I use the ones form breakfast for lunch later. Please don't say yuck. If the plat had buttered waffles on it in the morning and no residual was left behind then why throw it away.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes , I tear paper towels in half and I've even washed them when I'm using a stronger brand.
    I like paper towels, because cleaning rags can get gross sometimes. But I don't like to waste an entire paper towel when half of one would do the job.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Looking at paper towels already makes you feel guilty. They're so huge (one sheet is four times the size of a single square of tissue) so you know for a fact that you have to maximize them. Otherwise, the hands and brains that went into their production and distribution would be all for naught. You think about the number of people whose hard work produced such a useful item. And then you'll just use a single sheet in one swipe? I think not.

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very good at tearing papertowels without the crease, I'd have a really unsightly tear. Because of this I usually buy those smaller size papertowels and use a single sheet every time.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that money's a little tight at the moment, I'm a bit more conscious of this. There used to be a time when I'd get twin kitchen rolls, and luxurious ones at that. I never tore them in half, but they ARE quite big for one person. I've stopped buying the rolls and go of the ones designed for, I think parties and picnics. They're cheaper and smaller.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my kid's friends would come over and he'd grab a huge wad of several paper towels for even the tiniest thing. After a couple times, I said something to him about it. It's unnecessary and wasteful, in my opinion.

I have done the paper plate thing. Sometimes, I'll have a piece of toast in the morning. I just dump the crumbs and use it again later for a sandwich. I wouldn't do it with anything messy, but when it's only been used for catching crumbs, I don't think it's an issue.

18. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I have often been in the habit of tearing paper towels in half if what I need it for is nothing major. I find that these towels go rather quickly as we use them for all sorts of things. It is easy to just tear off a piece of paper towel to wipe up a small spill on the kitchen counter. I use them often to wipe my hands while I am cooking, although I would sometimes turn to the kitchen towel. Tearing them in half is definitely a saving, although my reason for doing so is because I don't like the idea of wasting them. As soon as a roll is gone, we would buy another roll as it is so versatile and more hygienic than using a kitchen towel which usually needs to be washed often.

19. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, we buy the paper towels that are already packaged that you only get enough piece per grab. Plus, I always choose the cheapest brand as well. We have this dollar store called "Daiso," and it has three for the price of one paper towels that I usually buy. But if we're in the supermarket or grocery, I'd just pick the cheapest brand that there is.

I also don't like wasting paper towels. As much as possible, I only take what I need and not more than that. I also have this habit of taking home tissues from restaurants or hotels that we didn't use. This way, I can save them up for later use.

On another note, I also don't use wipes on my son when we're at home. I just wash him with water and soap instead of wipes. Aside from the chemicals, they can take a long time before they decompose as well.

20. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy both the full sized and sectioned paper towels, and use them for different jobs. I also like the paper towels that are more like cloth than the really rough paper ones. Viva is a brand I like, but I will also sometimes buy the store brand if they're softer, such as a few of the varieties I find at my local Kroger. Also, if I use paper towels just to wipe up something such as spilled water or just to wipe my counters, I set them aside to dry, and then I reuse them to dry out the cat litter boxes after I wash them. I also sometimes let the litter boxes air dry. I have extras on hand, and just put the damp ones in the downstairs shower to air dry, to save on paper towels.