Technically Challenged People

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Adeal4u • Sep 12, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've noticed that since the surge of technology there are some people that got left behind. I'm sure you all know at least one person that can't work a computer, and they blame the company that made the laptop for not working properly. I learned at a young age about computers, but it seems as technology progresses, I see an increase in complaints that can be fixed if people would put forth some effort to learn. Are tech savvy or are you just clueless when it comes to technology?

2. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely more of a tech-savvy person. I think there is definitely something to be said about incorporating an overview of modern technology into primary/intermediate school as part of science classes. At least how a computer functions, maybe a surface explanation of how the internet works, and maybe even basic coding. The intuition and problem solving inherent in coding is useful in all disciplines anyway- I think it's time to incorporate these things into the education of our children.

3. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I know my way around computers enough to build my own, but I really suck at making sure everything works properly. I usually have to triple check everything, which wastes a lot of time and then I can turn the computer on after assembling it. I suppose I am pretty tech-savvy in this respect.

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Since I was born at the star of the compute age, I can say that I've lived most of my life with computers, technology, and other innovations therefore I can say that I am a tech savy person. I love technology and I can't imaging myself without my cellphone everyday I go to school.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I fall into the technically challenged group. I can work the computer, and find my way around the Internet and the sites I use most often. I can also fix some minor problems by trial and error. When it comes to a major problem though, I don't have a clue. I suppose if I took the time to read up on the manuals, I'd be able to do more. The trouble is, I begrudge spending the time I could be writing on reading up about the innards of my computer. Yes, I know I ought to make more of an effort, but I do have a tame computer whizz I can call on in times of trouble.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would describe myself as technically savvy. I didn't use computers at a young age, because PC weren't around then. I learned to be computer savvy when I trying to expand my first computer. I even used to build computers. I'm don't stay on top of technology as much as I used to.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    How much effort should a person put forth? There is a point at which it becomes unreasonable to expect a person to either know something or be something. Even those who call themselves tech savvy generally have a point at which they are simply confused. This is true for any field of knowledge - how much does the average person know about biology or psychology? Because of my major(s) I know quite a bit, but I don't expect others to and I shouldn't. How much does the average person know about fixing a car, especially as more of the system becomes computerized? That's the reason for specialization afterall.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I worked with an older guy who would send me an email, then print it out and come over to my office and read the email to me.

Our tech support had some funny stories, but the one that cracked me up the most was when someone put in a help ticket requesting a left-handed mouse. He walked over to the desk and picked it up and put it on the other side of the keyboard.

We got our boss really good one year for April Fools. We took a screenshot of his desktop and set it as his wallpaper. Then hid all his real icons and the taskbar. So it looked like they were all there but it was just an image. He kept rebooting his computer for several hours.

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Having worked in a tech support department for a software company for 13 years, I am a bit more tech savvy than a lot of folks my age. I do know my limits and even though I can fix most computer issues, I do know when to call an expert for help.

Ohiotom76's stories reminded me of one story from tech support days of someone trying to figure out how to change their printer from portrait to landscape. My fellow tech got fed up with the person after they wouldn't listen so the tech told them to simply turn the printer sideways and hung up on them.

10. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I am definitely a computer savvy person, I once studied this field but I changed it. My mom is definitely can not work a computer, I don't know what she would do.

11. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    I don't pay any attention to the latest developments in computers and other tech devices, but I know my way around the internet and computer files and programs without a problem. I can fix basic hardware issues... in other words, I can replace things that break. I've replaced two laptop keyboards and upgraded ram without much trouble.

I do with I knew more about networking and security issues, and should probably read up on new advances more. I don't want to be left behind.

12. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I have come a long way since first using a computer and being plagued by problems that seemed unresolvable at that time. I remember I used to call a technician for the smallest of problems. Now, I'm able to repair most issues, and when I don't know, there is always 'google' that usually gives me the solutions.

13. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I think I'm reasonably technologically savvy. I can operate pretty much anything, especially certain devices that once I use several times over I'm quite knowledgeable about the product. I can understand those who can't operate a lot of these smartphones, tablets or others. However, a computer has been easier to operate as time goes by.

14. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up with computers. I remember having an Apple and a PC computer lab at all of my schools I've ever attended. So I know how to work one just fine for what I need. In terms of having computer problems with the computer not doing it's job, I haven't had that problem in 3 1/2 years now, so I've forgotten what that's like. I took one computer programming class in high school but was so bored I never did anything with it; I was happy when it was over.

15. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I'm also the tech-savvy kind of guy, but there's obviously a lot I don't know. Computer knowledge is way too vast. You can be an expert in software development but not have a clue about websites, and the other way around. I'm more of the internet kind of guy, I've owned my own website, I've coded, I've designed, so I know how most websites work from the inside. But, on the other hand, I know very little about different OS, or data compilation, malware and viruses, etc.

16. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely fall into the technically challenged group. I work for more than 8 hours in a day on the laptop but I need to call my son for every little problem that I face. Grrrrrr.. I have learned a lot in this area, but I am no way near being tech savvy. I can just about work efficiently, but know nothing about problem solving. I guess I really need to work harder in this area.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I consider myself pretty much a tech savvy person, I'm always curious in learning how to operate new gadgets. I actually have always wanted to learn how to troubleshoot and assemble a pc, but until now, I still haven't gotten around to learning it.

18. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I'm tech savvy to an extent. I like what I know how to work. Which is why I hate it when I get familiar with a website or gadget, and then the company changes the whole damn thing into something more complicated just for bells and whistles.

19. tehtros

tehtrosNew Member

Threads:
    I can find my way around most computer systems, can build computers, and can even program Java. That said, I learned all of this from my parents who work in IT. Needless to say, I was pretty bored when my teachers taught us to use PowerPoint in 2nd grade. Then again in 4th grade. And 6th. And 7th. That said, I do know some people that still don't quite grasp the concept that the computer and the monitor are two separate entities. I try to help them whenever I can, but some of them are just too far gone... But I love them anyways.

20. techbeast34

techbeast34Member

Threads:
    I would call myself a tech-savvy person, as I know my way around a computer (and have built my own), and I also setup game servers for my friends and I to play on.