Telemarketing calls - how do you deal with them?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Rhoda D'ettore • Oct 24, 2014.

1. NettaT10

NettaT10New Member

Threads:
    dont worry

I usually just hang up or I have an app that any phone numbers that I don't have saved will automatically get a phone disconnected notice

2. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    It could be very frustrating dealing with Telemarketers. I used to get call consistently until we got on the no-call-list. Even after the list, I still received some calls. I started telling the caller before they could say too much to take me off of their call list and that I was not interested. I told them all the same thing before they could really go into their phone presentations. After a while of saying this and immediately hanging up the phone, I now don't receive as many calls anymore. Every once in a while I get a call, but it is much better than before.

3. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I talk to them. Sometimes I just hang up right away (when you pick up, and there's a silence before someone comes on; ie, the process of machine choosing the caller). But ultimately, the best way is to tell them simply to take you off their list because you are not now, or ever will be, interested, and you don't want to get their calls anymore. Anything else just means that they will call you again another day, or at another time.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely hate marketing calls, and I always get rid of them no matter what. I never show any interest to what they're saying whatsoever, because I really don't want to encourage them to call again. However, I'm usually polite in making sure they understand I'm not interested. I get a lot of bank calls, which really annoys me.I think there should be laws against marketing calls. There should be a limitation on what periods of the day and how many times the company can call you for a telemarketing call. The company should have to pay a fine if they overcome that.

5. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    If a phone number is not on my contact list I will not answer it. Especially if it is a long distance call. I think telephone solicitors are my biggest pet peeve in the world. On the tops of my list are the solicitors from Verizon and Direct TV. I DO NOT want an upgrade, I AM NOT interested in a dish subscription, boy you would think they would get the message but every month they are calling me with this stuff. I also find it very annoying when a strange number calls and they do not leave a number or message, guess the call was not that important? :eek: I just think that talking to these people is a big waste of time mine and theirs. I had a series of calls one time from some collection agency looking for someone I did not know, they actually had the nerve to tell me that I was lying I was really this person. Are you kidding me? Do you see that name on the telephone listing? Yea if your not on the contact list you better leave a message if you want to hear from me.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Simple, I tell the caller to "take me off their list immediately," and I ask for his/her name, supervisor, and Agency to never bother me anymore. When a man or woman does not see a corporation beneficial, he/she has the right to not engage in business with that entity anymore whenever he/she wishes to do so, even if there is a oral or written contract. I used to work for a now defunct telemarketing company for one month when I was 18 years of age, and I learned this simple trick. Most of the telemarketers get your number because you either entered a contest of sorts, ascribed to the terms and conditions of a internet site that gives out your information, or it's a cold-call.

7. Murakami84

Murakami84New Member

Threads:
    Am I the only one who hasn't received a telemarketing call? I kinda want someone to call me now. Is it really that bad? I wouldn't mind chatting them up for an hour, they will probably hang me before I did, that way they would check me out of their list and avoid calling me.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I get a call I just say no thank you and hang up. No need to get into a lot of talking with them just hang up.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm never rude to telemarketers, after all, they are just trying to make a living like the rest of us. I usually just put the phone down straight away. I agree that filling in online forms seems to increase the frequency of these calls - so I make sure that I have ticked the "opt-out" box, if there is one.

10. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with those who say you shouldn't be rude to the caller. It's not their fault that they have to make money and are stuck in this job. I can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of them would rather be working somewhere else.

Always ask to be taken off their list instead of hanging up or just saying you're not interested. By law, if it's a private/personal phone number (as opposed to a business one) they MUST then take you off the list.

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I seem to have slipped under the radar and don't get a lot of telemarketer's calls. I used to get them when I still had a land line, though, and most times I just hung up on them. My husband gets them all the time on his cell phone. It's maddening. We can't figure out why he gets so many and I seem to have lucked out.

12. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:

You've raised some fine points. always do the same, never being rude or anything, most of the people working there are already stressed out and the last thing they want to hear is someone cussing them out or just being mean. Their work environment is really depressing, so I understand most of them and I avoid being rude, I just tell them I'm not interested and if they insist, I block the number on my phone.

13. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I never encountered any problems with telemarketers. Maybe I was lucky but telling them to take me off the call list worked wonders. Another idea could be to get a caller ID and block the incoming telemarketer numbers, but that will work only if you are being called by the same companies over and over again. A funny gag I read over the internet goes as follows: " A telemarketer called my home and asked if I can answer some questions. I said no and I asked for their personal phone number so I can come back later tonight and answer the questions. Well, he got uncomfortable and said he doesn't like receiving phone calls from strangers at home. AHA ! "

14. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've never had any problem with telemarketers as I just say I'm not interested and hang up before they have a chance to answer. I realize it's kind of rude and that they're just doing their job, but when I waited for them to reply in the past I ended up sitting there listening to them for 15 minutes.

15. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    Usually, it is difficult for me to say no to salesmen, especially the kind that are in the malls by the kiosks. However, when it comes to telemarketers, I have absolutely no problem slamming the phone or getting angry with them. They seem to be some of the most annoyingly persistent people on Earth, but usually they stop calling after I hang up.

16. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on the caller. If it is the first time I have notice they have called I just tell them to stop. If I have gotten to the point I notice they have called several times. I will lay the land line phone by the receiver, especially if they are one of those that just keep talking or it is a recording. Usually that stops them from calling again. The only caller have have continuing trouble with is calls from Google maps. They call non-stop and nothing seems to work.

17. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I love this way of dealing with telemarketers. That made me laugh so much! I think you should make a YouTube video of you doing this. It is a good way of dealing with the problem without being angry with them.
    I tend to just put the phone down and leave them talking to themselves. They don't stay on the phone long after that. However, it doesn't stop them calling so I have caller display and only pick up the numbers I know.

18. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have resorted to just not answering my phone unless I recognize the number. Some telemarketers are quite aggressive. It has really change over the years. You can't get them off the phone and I practically have to hang up on them. If by mistake I do answer the phone for a telemarketer, I have a very mundane voice and keep saying no until I get a quick moment to say that I have to go and I hang up before I get a response. I feel bad, but there approach is ridiculous.

19. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just hang up as soon as I know it's a telemarketer. Sometimes I used to string them along for wasting my time, but I can't be bothered these days :p I think a lot of people have done the same at one point.

20. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    If i get a telemarketing call i usually stay connected but place the phone down and walk away leaving the caller talking to themselves and racking up their phone bill. I now treat these calls as a source of amusement for myself rather than as a nuisance.

On occasion when receiving one of these calls i have said ''Do you mind, we're in the middle of a funeral'' and then listened to the caller squirm. Also i have pretended to be foreign and not understand English, on another occasion i pretended to be really thick, not understanding anything, the conversation went round and round in circles and eventually they hung up on me in frustration. These people probably think i'm nuts but it amuses me anyway.