Telemarketing calls - how do you deal with them?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Rhoda D'ettore • Oct 24, 2014.

1. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    In the UK, we have something called the telephone preference service, or TPS for short. When you register on this, telemarketers are not allowed to contact you without your express consent. I have always found this works for me and I do not get any calls except those from my utility companies, which I do not mind. Is there a service like this for Americans?

2. Ingrid Cazala

Ingrid CazalaNew Member

Threads:
    I keep things nice and simple, I don't answer my phone unless I know who is calling me. The only exception for me is if I am job hunting. I don't like being rude to people on the phone but I don't like wasting my time listening to people asking me questions that I don't even know what I am saying. I understand it is someone's job so that is why I am never rude if I accidentally answer the phone ....

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    So true, people have to do their job and might not be their intention to intrude or annoy anyone, but the company making them tackle the challenge of making an unwanted call which, by the way, now will be subject to new regulations as read here,
    This article was published past month and can be read in full here,

4. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    I just HAD to come on here and share this story that happened to me this morning! It was a hoot!
    Okay, so I had one call while I was sitting here on the computer doing some of my GPT sites and watching a movie. I had just seen a new Progressive insurance commercial that featured Carnie Wilson (sp?) and Flo singing a song I loved when I was a kid. (Hold On)
    My phone rang and I knew by the number it was a telemarketer.
    I answered. Here's how it went.
    Me- Hello?
    Salesman- Hi! May I speak with (pronounces my name all wrong)
    Me- I don't know. This is (pronounces my name correctly) and you can speak with me!
    Salesman- Ok, I'm so very sorry for that mistake.
    Me- No biggie.
    Salesman- I'd like to offer you a wonderful gift today.
    Me- I LOVE flowers and chocolate! Is it flowers and chocolate? Or a cruise for free?
    Salesman- *awkward pause* *nervous laugh* Um, no, but it's a great one. How satisfied are you with your cable and internet service?
    Me- I love it! I would love it more if it was free, but ya know, that isn't going to happen. Even whatever offer you are going to give me isn't going to be FREEEEE.
    Salesman- Can I tell you about the offer (company name) is ready to give you today only?
    Me- I have just one question. Can ya hoooold on for one more day? Things will go your way, hold on for one more day!
    Salesman erupts into laughter.
    Me- Look, I don't wanna waste your time, I'm not interested but I do hope you have a great day and don't let anyone hold ya down and make ya cry.
    Salesman- *still laughing* Thank YOU (pronounces my name right) for making my day. I needed a laugh.

So, yeah, no commission for him from me but he got a good laugh.