Tesco Closures

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by batgirl • Feb 17, 2015.

1. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    Tesco announced the closure of around 40 of its UK stores earlier this month, following a troubled year of trading for this supermarket giant. I was very disappointed to discover that one of these stores is my local one which is so Handy, being a couple of minutes walk away. I use the store almost everyday and there are no other large supermarkets in the town centre so I am gutted that it is closing! I will have to get a bus to one of the out of town stores now, unless another company moves into the site.

There is a rumour that Aldi may be taking over which will be good, but their offering is limited compared to Tesco and I will certainly miss all the clubcard points.

Have you been affected by any of these store closures?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thankfully not but I'd be really peeved if I was. I visit my local store about 4 times a week and whilst there are other stores in the vicinity, I much prefer Tesco. I'd be really upset if it was replaced with an Aldi - it's just not the same at all, plus they don't do things like ciggies and newspapers.

3. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been affected by Tesco closures but just the reverse. I used to own my own convenience store but then a Tesco express opened at the end of the road, this took all my trade away and eventually i had to close. There was no way i could compete with their huge buying power. I felt bitter towards Tesco for a while but that's business i suppose.

I was surprised to learn that the large stores are in difficulty but they are being beaten on price now by several competitors. The Tesco express outlets always seem extremely busy to me at all times of the day, so maybe they will focus more on those.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been affected, but I do feel for the people who lose their jobs and those stores that were needed in the area. It boils down to profits and other stores as they price match and Aldi and Lidl forcing prices down, means they didn't cut their overheads in time.

I do like Tesco and I used to do a lot of freelance promotions for them, but I doubt they have the marketing budget they used to now. Express stores do well as they are local and people use them instead of a big supermarket. It's how many people shop now and they make more profit and cost less to run.

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been affected either.
    Our local tesco only opened its doors a couple of years ago and if I'm honest I'm pretty surprised it isnt closing because every time I've been in there its been me and about three other people...and one of them was the checkout girl.

6. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I do sympathise with you batgirl that your only local Tesco is closing. I live 10 miles from my nearest Tesco and I would hate it if it closed. It is a smaller one but I much prefer shopping there than the Tesco extra store a few miles further down the road.

7. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    I'm seeing a lot of companies changing how they do business lately, do you suppose it's out of fear of what Amazon is doing with their services? Amazon is making grocery shopping online easy complete with home delivery and rock bottom prices. That has got to scare the pants off a lot of old-ways execs who know it's best to get out when you've still got something to take with you.