The actual book or ebook

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Pocs • Aug 5, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    With the ability to download your favorite books and magazine up to your current computer device do you still visit the book stores or libraries ? Or do you just simply search the ebook listings to find your next good read?

I use both. Sometimes I like to have the actual book to take along to the beach, the car or while waiting for appointments. I try and use the local library as much as possible, instead of actually buying the book. Once it's read I don't tend to reread them. That being said, the connivence of ebooks make them totally easy to find a good book and start reading right away without having to worry about checking out or returning.

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I like to hold an actual pages, turn its pages, hear the rustle of pages, use a real bookmark, etc. I find it rather difficult to read e-books even when I use e-readers like Kindle. Whenever I've had no choice but to read an electronic version, I've always printed it off. I know bad for the environment and all that:( so I try and get the actual book whenever possible.

3. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer ebooks now because of the convenience. I rarely have time to go to the library or the bookstore. With ebooks, I can just download anytime and put it in my Ipad and sometimes even my smart phone. Plus, I can practically bring several books in just one device whenever and wherever. I can also read at nights even if the lights are turned off. But with children's books for my son, we still prefer the actual ones because they're much more fun.

#3Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I prefer a physical book, but when I was after 50 Shades of Grey it was sold out everywhere. A friend had it on Kindle, so I downloaded an e-book reader onto my laptop and she passed the trilogy over to me. It was okay reading it like that, but I still prefer a real book. I'll use the e-reader for stuff I want to keep, and stick with books for those I read once then pass on.

5. Methrend

MethrendNew Member

Threads:
    I will always prefer a printed book to a digital one. Always. I just have to have the physical, weighted book in my hand when I read, turning actual pages, etc. As much as I love using technology for almost everything I possibly can, books are the one thing that will sick with me. I sincerely hope that they don't stop being printed at any point in my lifetime.

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Ebook is the most applicable today so I would prefer ebook, bring books adds up to the heavy load when traveling as compare to bringing only iPad. I do have several ebooks in my ipad which is sometimes read especially when I travel to some places. ebooks about the places and tips, how to earn online and some that I haven't read actually like poor dad, rich dad LOL.

7. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    I read more ebooks than printed because they are cheaper more easily available. The Game of thrones series would have costed me R500 ($60) I managed to read it more cheaply on my pc. I prefer printed books though. Reading a printed book seems to have a more relaxed atmosphere, maybe because I check my emails, play angry birds and surf the net at the same time while reading on my android tab.

8. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I would probably consider printed books If I know I will be going to a remote place where there is no internet connection. I've once travel to a remote island to stay for about 3 days, I got bored there and I would probably read everything if there is.

9. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, the price is the biggest factor for me. And according to some of my research skimming through Amazon, there really isn't much difference in the price of the books, except for its free classic literature section. I'll opt for the book once ereaders and ebooks become cheaper. Just the other day, I purchased a book that cost $4.50 on Amazon (plus shipping), but it costs $45 in stores. The same book, but as an ebook, is $15. Why bother?

10. Arajoo

ArajooNew Member

Threads:
    I like the concept of e-books as being convenient. However I still prefer the actual books as reading is better that way. I am not comfortable staring at a device for too long. Hopefully that would change once I own a kindle or anything similar.

11. Ton3h

Ton3hNew Member

Threads:
    E-books can never replace the smell of a freshly arrived book ready to be read. It can't replace the experience of lying on your couch, fully relaxed (or worked-up, depending on the book), and reading like there's no tomorrow. It's not that I'm against the environment or anything like that, or even an anti-technology person, but I think that books should remain just as they are.

Now, on the other hand, carrying a Kindle with you and having access to tons of books is way better than having to drag books around with you, especially if you're a frequent traveler, but still... To each his own, I guess.

12. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I like real books but I prefer to read eBooks. Real books are wonderful. The feel of turning the pages is something to be relished. However they take up a lot of space. So I prefer eBooks. What used to fill a whole bookshelf fits into just a bit of space on my hard drive.

13. adamnawroc

adamnawrocNew Member

Threads:
    I'd rather find something to read via e-reader than go to the library. The library doesn't cross my mind unless I can't get an ebook of a book I'm in desperate need of. This rarely occurs.

I prefer reading books in physical form but the convenience of ebooks trumps the minor discomfort that comes along with them. Lately, I've only been reading paperback books if they're explicitly given to me. In short, I'm really lazy.

#13Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  14. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer ebooks over real books because I can save more space and downloading is much easier than actually scouting for the book that you are looking for at bookstores. Although I still go to the local bookstore every once in a while to scout for possible good and I download them online.

15. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    If there is a book I like and am interested in, I still go out and buy the book or buy online. I do have a Nook however and still have yet to use that feature on it. I need to un-train myself and rethink my process of getting books. E books are cheaper, more convenient and easily downloadable.

16. jaimie_lorraine

jaimie_lorraineMember

Threads:
    I enjoy reading from an actual book vs using an e-reader. I like collecting my favorite authors and you can't do that with ebooks. Also you don't have to worry about charging a book on a long car ride or when you are not near electricity. Ebooks may be liked by some but I prefer the actual book.

17. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of e-books and love my kindle because I can get a book instantly. AND it's so portable and I can take them anywhere.

However, I love a real book. There's still nothing like holding a real book in your hand.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer physical books over ebooks. I am a very tactile person. I am slow to adopt e-readers because I see the ebook as the demise of physical books and bookstores.

19. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I could read either, tho I must admit that I like to read actual books better. If I had a Kindle, it wouldn't be that much of a problem for me. I read so many PDFs online now that it hurts my eyes. When I read a regular book, and I have glasses on, soft light, then the read seems to be a little more fulfilling. It's like I'm able to get into the groove of the story better.

20. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I love real books! Having the physical object to hold and look at is part of the experience for me, everytime I pick up a well-loved book it has things that remind me of the characters, the story and the emotions attached to it. I also associate looking at a screen with work, hassle, emails etc, and the last thing I want to do is spend my free relaxtion time looking at another kind of screen.

Even though ebooks are free for a lot of the older books I like to read, I wait until Christmas and birthdays to have real books as gifts if I can't afford them.