The actual book or ebook

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Pocs • Aug 5, 2012.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I do prefer real books but it does depend. For instance, if it's a book I think I'll really love I like to read it as a real book. I wouldn't mind re-reading it afterwards in ebook form, though.

2. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    I love the the fact that the e-readers allow you to carry tons of books around with you without actually having to carry the books...LOL! But, I still love shopping at book stores, visiting antique book shops, and even going on book hunts at garage sales and thrift or consignment stores. There's something about holding a hardcover or even a paperback book. You don't necessarily have to read it! I love my e-readers, but I love my real books and will continue to collect them and shop for those rare and out print finds!

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am a medical student. When it comes to buying the actual book or ebook, it depends on how long will I able to use the book. When I know that I could use the book until I practice medicine, then I would definitely buy the actual book. However if the book is just for transient use then I'll just download the ebook version.

4. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    I like both, but I prefer a real book. It is easier to lounge around and read, plus you don’t have to charge it! Ebooks are great, but not as comforting as a regular book to me.

5. Syd Arthur

Syd ArthurNew Member

Threads:
    I have updated my technology in may areas of my life but literature is one area I am still 100% in the paper age! I bought an mp3 player, I bought a digital slr camera to replace the film camera and dark room I had set up in my house, I have a digital tv but I have never read a book on a digital device.

I'm sure I will at some time but I love buying second hand books. There is something about a second hand book that adds something to the whole experence of reeding to me. I do buy new books too but I love the thought of lots of other people reading a book before I read it!

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like reading ebooks but I find that I remember what I read longer from a physical book. I don't know why that is, when I am studying from a ebook I write out everything I read to help remember what I read.

7. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I still prefer the traditional way of reading a physical book since it's more comfy in the eyes. But Ebooks can also be handy since I just store it on my smartphone so I can read anytime anywhere when I'm bored. But when I'm home, I usually read and cuddle in my sofa. :)

8. Jacek

JacekNew Member

Threads:
    I live in a remote area 4 hrs one way to the nearest city. The e-reader is a life saver for me as I read a lot of books. I always have a book to read with my e-reader, and I like to read more than one type of book at a time. I don't need a book bag to carry my books I love that they are in the palm of my hand. I still love to read the hard cover book, there is nothing cosier than curling up in front of the fire with a book. I save a lot of money with e-books and I try new authors out on the free e-book section. I do love book stores when I get a chance to go to them, but my life now is way more conducive to an e-reader.

9. boone

booneNew Member

Threads:
    I personally like the ebooks. The convenience of them just makes them that much better. It is easy to search through hundreds of books online to find one that suits me. Also the price of most ebooks that I buy are right around $5 so it is much cheaper to get one of them. However I do still buy regular books for things like cookbooks, textbooks, or anything that I am going to have to reference a lot. It is so much easier to flip the pages quickly to find a particular section versus the ebooks navigation.

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I think ebooks are the best invention. Imagine how many trees we are saving. I know it seems like there are trees everywhere, and new ones get planted everyday, bit we kind of take these things for granted. There are countries that have had to use their trees to make charcoal so they could cook food. The resulted in a major deforestation. Ebooks, can really change the world in more ways than one.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer ebooks, because it saves me space in my room, and it's more convenient in the sense that you can carry many titles at the same time just by using a laptop, a cellphone, or a kindle, and most of them are free. But I still buy books though, but that only happens when it's not available in ebook form.

12. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I like paper books but it seems I don't have any more space for them in my flat. That's why I decided to buy e-book reader. It's pretty light and I can take it everywhere with me in my handbag :) It's very comfortable because I can use it everywhere and read my favourite texts any time I want.

13. Thorarin

ThorarinNew Member

Threads:
    However much I love the idea of ebooks, they're just not for me. I love the whole experience of buying books, going to the book store, browsing, reading the back of the covers and the first two pages to see if it gets me hooked. Then going home and getting all comfortable, the smell, the sounds! I'm quite aware that I sound sad, but I really do love reading.

I am considering getting a reader though, when I travel, I can normally only fit a book or two in my backpack (I normally travel very light) so the idea of having a few thousand books on a device smaller than most books may outweigh the negatives. Only one way to find out, I might be a ebook convert yet!

14. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I prefer fiction on my kindle. Books to read to my son at bedtime I buy in ebook form and read on a tablet, so I can read to him while the lights are out. Non-fiction I still prefer paper.

15. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Kindle app on my phone that I literally never use. I downloaded it as a just in case thing, if I leave my book at home on accident.. it's yet to happen. I will always prefer to have physical books. Looking at a screen for too long can hurt my eyes or reflect badly off my glasses and I love actual pages. I like to hold an actual book in every case.

16. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    kindles are great for travel. I am a book junkie myself, but to go on an airplane trip and need one little device to hold all 14 books I might need for the week. Pretty amazing.

17. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. There's just something special about a real book. A tip for you is to make an e-book or tablet cover using a sturdy hardcover book! I've seen lots of tutorials online. You get the best of both worlds - holding a real book, but using an e-book or tablet filled with hundreds of books right at your fingertips!

18. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I use both..but I still prefer to hold a proper book. I would look for an ebook online if I can get it for free. But still, I'd rather buy the actual book. It still feels different holding a real book. And I collect books of certain authors and having it physically rather than electronically is more satisfying.

19. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    For a particularly long book I'll always read them the old fashioned way as the computer screen starts to hurt my eyes if I'm on it for long periods of time. I will only read eBooks if they aren't too long, or if I see one interesting that isn't in book form.

20. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I am a reader, and a heavy user of the city library. I have not gotten into e-books at this point but I am tempted. Fairly recently I downsized a lot of books because of space reasons. And if they had been e-books I guess I would still have them.
    Also I have noticed prices on Amazon for some e-books vs printed.
    Yes I am tempted. The local library where I am actually will even lend out a reader. Not sure what one it is. I might give it a try.
    Ryder13