The actual book or ebook

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Pocs • Aug 5, 2012.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a senior lady, and for all my life, I have loved reading books. When my daughter gave me an iPad, I was sure that I would still prefer reading real nooks with real pages. However, I found that I can get my library books on here, and amazon has free books everyday, so I have built up a good little library on the iPad, and actually enjoy not having pages to turn. Some things are probably still better in a real book, like when you need to read directions over and over making something, but for just relaxing with a book, I really like ebooks. I don't even lose them, like real books, they stay right there in my iPad where they are supposed to be. I used to be running to a yard sale, or thrift store, looking for something good to read, now I can shop from home, so that is a plus also. I am not going to give up real books, but ebooks have definitely found a special place in my lifestyle.

2. Melvin

MelvinNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a library in months because I get most of my information online and from ebooks. Although I use ebooks much more often than normal books, I prefer normal ones because it's much easier for me to sit down, and take a break reading.

3. illusen

illusenNew Member

Threads:
    I have a weird form of OCD and can't stand the touch and feel of paper. Audiobooks and ebooks are a blessing to me. Ever since I found out I can download books online and store them on gadgets, I have started reading again, which is something I hadn't been able to do in a while. I have enough trouble at university with this disorder that I really wouldn't be interested in adding extra stress by touching books in my free time.

What I do miss however, is the smell of a new book. I loved that smell as a teenager. I remember I'd get so excited whenever I could afford to buy a new book or whenever someone gifted me one.

Bottom line is, I love ebooks.

4. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer eBooks. You can simply download the eBooks onto your phone and put your phone in your pocket instead of carrying the physical copy around. While physical books gives you the feeling of looking and holding it, eBooks are more convenient. They are mostly very light, you have the ability to zoom in which you can't do on physical copies, and you can read them at night without the light on. That means you can simply put your mobile device away with the eBook app in a second.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I rather go to the library and get books I don't like reading books online or tablet I prefer them to be old fashion hard cover books

6. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    If it is a publication that I do not intend to read again or collect I would rather use the ebook version. Otherwise, I go to our local bookstore and buy the physical copy. I collect books from certain authors. When I like a particular author, I will most probably buy all his or her physical books.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't stand e-books. They have their conveniences, but I'm one to flip through a book or back to an old chapter and that's impossible to do in an e-book. It takes me 4 years to find a page I'm looking for lol. And give me a textbook on a reader and I'm in trouble. I need to flip around for every topic.. there's no way.

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Even though i prefer having everything physical because i feel that i own it, i think for books i would go with digital because how easy it is for me to read on those display screens and how many i can have in such a small device.

9. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Call me old fashioned but unless I have the book in hand, I don't feel like I am experiencing it. That's why I abhor e-books. I am slightly tolerant of audio books but I don't think I've ever bought one. Don't think I ever will. Moreover, I am a collector and want physical copies of everything good that I read, so all the more reason for me to stay away from ebooks.

10. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I love my Kindle. It's one of the best things I've ever bought. I love to read but I don't actually buy a lot of books because I just don't have that kind of money! So I mostly take out books from the library. With the Kindle (and most other eReaders) it's even easier to get books from the library because I don't even have to go anywhere. All I have to do is log on to my computer and that's it. Up it pops on my Kindle in a couple minutes. Plus I love all the free books. I've found a lot of really good ones on the "Top 100 Free" part of the Kindle store. I also find it's just more comfortable to hold my little Kindle than holding a really big book for a long time.

11. fishbowl

fishbowlNew Member

Threads:
    It's hard to emulate the experience of reading a book. The act of being taken away from all your modern technological trappings and sucked into another world is very enticing. I like the idea that I don't need any form of electricity to enjoy a story. And the smells...the "old book" smell is a favorite of mine.

12. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the actual book because I like the smell of the paper. I can turn the pages and count the number of pages I have read. Also, I own the book because I can put it to my own library collection. E-Book is different, which I cannot keep the book because I do not own it. I don't have the same kind of feeling when I read physical books. I like going to the bookstore and browse books, which is one of my favorite things to do when I get days off.

13. Nevermore

NevermoreNew Member

Threads:
    I like the feel of paperbacks, but an ebook reader is so easy and comfortable to use that I just can't go back now. Having all your library in a portable device is fantastic, I can look up words in the dictionary in a second and I can have the book I want the moment I buy it. Ebooks are also cheaper and more eco-friendly. Although ereaders were quite expensive in the past they are now way cheaper and with 130 euros you can have a top notch device, so it's not a considerable expense anymore.