The Ads You Hate To See...

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by AgentD22 • Aug 3, 2016.

1. AgentD22

AgentD22New Member

Threads:
    Hello y'all!

I come with an (I think) interesting question for you.

What's the type of ad you hate to see on TV? Something that not only doesn't interest you but also makes you kinda angry. I'll start so you can see what I mean with this question:

There is this new trend in fast food ads (I won't name names because I actually like their food, but the ads are awful) it basically takes jokes from the internet, or memes as people call them, and try to implement them into the ad but in the end it is just so...Forced, it makes them look really bad.

So how about you? Looking foward to reading what you have to say, as always.

2. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I find "As seen on TV" ads very irritating. I don't like teleshopping and whenever I see teleshopping ads on TV, I am immediately change the channel. Of course some of the products advertised through teleshopping are great, however, what irritates me is the repeated advertising. They show same ads on different channels.

3. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well there are some that I just personally cannot stand, and the Progressive lady is the first one that comes to mind. It makes you wonder if there is a link between annoyance levels and success in advertisement campaigns, because certainly this is a successful campaign. Or I guess some may actually like it, who knows. Thanks for sharing.

4. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    I agree with you AgentD22 about annoying fast food commercials. We are probably thinking about the same ones. There are several that I just can't stand to watch or listen to. It always seems like they will show the same annoying commercial several times throughout one television program. These horrible commercials make me wonder what the ad developers were thinking and why these ads were approved.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One thing I've been noticing a lot recently is double ads. The ad plays, and as soon as it ends, the same ad plays again. I suppose it could be a glitch, but it seems deliberate, as if they're trying to reinforce their message, which I find manipulative and annoying. I realize all ads are manipulative, but playing the ad twice in a row seems even more so.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate those bck-to-back same ads, too, and I always thought that the station just was not paying attention to their ad placement, and it accidently came on twice in a row.
    There are a lot of commercials that I just hate , some of them because they are repeated over and over, like the My Pillow ad, and some because they are just totally DUMB ads.
    The one that is the worst for that, in my opinion, is the Liberty Mutual ads. I used to have Liberty Mutual (until they jumped up their rates so high), and they are actually a great insurance company; but those ads ........ Those are just the stupidest ads in the whole world !
    They keep coming out with new ones; but they are all the same thing basically, and so poorly done. I now totally hate the name "Brad" ! !

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like those ads where people have a heavy layer of makeup over and smiling like a hipocrite to the viewer. It looks to forced, too desperate to show your product is something that will bring happiness and blow your mind.

8. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Another ad that I hate is the one where the three girls are trimming their female parts, using small 'bushes' in front of them. I don't even know which razor they're advertising for, because I find the whole concept of the ad, which I'm sure is supposed to be cute, offensive. I thought the ad had been taken off, but now I have realized that it only seems to be shown on particular stations. My mom is thoroughly offended by the ad, as are some of my friends. I think it was developed by someone looking to titillate the audience and turn that amusement into purchasing dollars. Here's a link to the

. As you can see from the comments, opinions are very divided. Now that I know the company that developed and approved the ad, I know which products I won't be purchasing.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Sonic ad where the guy is praising Sonic and saying..Oh this was named after Abraham Lincoln's wife Mary "Tots" Lincoln. Half the people in the country are probably going to be thinking that was his wife's name. I don't hate it, I just think it is weird. I mean even if you hate an ad you will remember it, which is the overall goal of advertising. So, they win either way. The COPD ad where they are playing tennis is a bit strange...as most people who have this disease are not in tennis playing shape..my roomie has it, and he is on O2. I am "sure" he is going to be running around on the tennis court...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG there used to be this Sheila's wheels advert that was basically cheaper car insurance for women in the UK. It was overly PINK and the 3 ladies would jump and prance around while singing terrible music, with these weird smiles plastered across their faces LOL I absolutely hated it and found it very grating.

But @Diane Lane.....I've also noticed those back to back ones over here, and I always thought the company had paid a hideous amount of money for that. I can't stand it when it happens, and always change channels when I see one. They've got it all wrong, and I strongly believe doing that will not stick in people's heads, but will instead drive them away. No amount of brainwashing/ramming their product down people's throats through this type of ploy will force people to like any product. I bet many people change channels or get up and find something to do while they wait for whatever show they are watching to come back on.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Am I allowed to say all of them? Lol. I detest being sold to and treated like a drone; I'll pass. It's one of the main reasons I got rid of our service. Even the shows are just gateways to advertisement and conditioning. We recently drove across the country and tried tv at each hotel.. we see it much more clearly since we stepped back; it's all so very annoying and just sell sell sell. So glad we snapped out of it. Wish I could control the ads everywhere else now lol.

12. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Oh @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon Ugh, you reminded me of the one where they spelled out B R E O constantly. It was older actors, and the ad made them seem as if they were in the throes of dementia. I abhored that ad, and am glad they have changed it and taken out that portion, but I'm afraid it might be the one you're referring to. At least I think that's what the medication is used for...I hated the ads so much I refused to watch them. My ex has CPOD and is also on oxygen. He can walk a little, but is definitely not playing tennis.

Speaking of ads we hate, the ones for male enhancement products irritate me. At least they've stopped putting octogenarians with 20-something females, but why is it that in the male product ads the women are still at least a little younger looking and of course stunning, yet in the female product ads, the actors are both somewhat normal looking? I guess it goes to what appeals to each gender.

@Lushlala@Lushlala Wow, so women actually paid less for car insurance? I have heard that's the case (or was, anyway, that may have changed by now) with teens, but I am not sure it's the case here for adults, and it seems odd they'd be advertising it that way, since it seems someone would be jumping on it and claiming discrimination. Maybe that's just here, though. We do tend to be a somewhat litigious society over here in the U.S.

13. Lushlala

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane...I'm glad you said that, because I always wondered about that! Since I never owned a car in the UK, I don't actually know if it made good on its words. But the human race can be very peculiar! I mean, nobody batted an eyelid at this advert, but I too thought it had discriminatory undertones. Yet another advert for the Yorkie chocolate caused a bit of an uproar among certain sections of society (I'm guessing the bored and not having a life brigade LOL?) because the strapline went, "Yorkie, it's not for girls!" . Go figure!

14. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala They can probably get around it by using statistics showing that female drivers of a certain age have less accidents, the same way I've heard that married folks tend to be more careful drivers, etc. That may generally be the case, but I know a lot of married folks who drive like crap, especially after a fight with their spouse. I hear them tearing the roads up here in my neighborhood. I think the idea is that they have more to lose, so are generally more careful with their health, so are more careful drivers. It's probably one of the few areas where discrimination still exists and is tolerated.

15. Lushlala

Threads:
    I know, Diane Lane...and it's a crying shame, I think! Men are always discriminated against, and we don't hear them making noise about it. But the minute some feminist gets a bee in her bonnet over something...! It can get exhausting LOL But such is life, we get all sorts. I guess it's also credit to the freedom of expression and democratic rule that some of us get to enjoy :) As they say, we just have to take the rough with the smooth!

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well the last point is kind of depressing, but true. That said, though, I hate this ad. It is so dumb I cannot stand it. It is just not a funny joke, and I have never liked these guys and the commercials to begin with, so that does not help their case any. You are right, too, and people will probably go on to think that this was actually the name of his wife too. Oh well, hopefully it will fade away, out of our memories, soon enough.

17. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have those ads that come bang in the middle of an entertaining program taking advantage of viewership but only end up annoying the viewers. I also hate those ads where the people involved use affected accents and postures, they don't look natural. I also don't like ads that advertise drugs like alcohol, cigarettes and condoms as well as other related products.

18. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I hate to see ads that claim that you can earn a big money by joining it. I also hate to see ads that claim to reduce your weight or make you 15 years younger. Apart from these online ads, I also hate to see telemarketing ads on TV.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I hate products that are only a useless piece of plastic while they claim it's so much more than it really is. Not all plastic products are bad one bad example is the omelet maker. It's just a deformed plastic bowl that you can microwave.

20. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Any advertisement that mentions adult content is a total waste of time for me. I don't think this kind of advertisement should be televised so easily.

Obvious that they're important, but I think that the placement should be redirected to other media and preferably with scheduled times.