The Bad Effects Of Energy Drinks?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Radix24 • Feb 18, 2015.

1. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen related literature that drinking too much energy drinks can add a fatal strain to your heart. These energy drinks are the one injected with so much caffeine that you stay awake for an extra length of time.

I experienced drinking too much of an energy drink. I had palpitations for a few hours. Not a good experience. Anyone had a similar experience too? What are the other effects that you know of.

2. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    I have had a similar experience to you. I went on a Red Bull drinking binge, and definitely felt the consequences of staying up late on that type of caffeine. Energy drinks should be wisely consumed, and make sure you read the labels. Some of those "5 Hour Energy" drinks can end up leading to your death. Just be careful! Palpitations are not so fun.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely HATE the taste of energy drinks and have never been able to finish a full can. They have this weird after taste that reminds me of something so vile, I won't mention it here. I have heard of them giving people palpitations, too. A few years ago there was even a case of a young man in the UK who was addicted to Red Bull, which culminated in his death! Very scary stuff.

4. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Death! Ack. Any link to that article or something to lead me there? Now, that is scary. It mostly gives me palpitations, as I mentioned, when I drink too much. I am not that addicted to drink can after can in a day. I think once a week is safe enough. I am curious to ask the other members in this forum if it affects the mind too.

5. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I got addicted to a particularly tasty energy drink called Lipovitan once. I did get palpitations, but I didn't mind them. What I did mind was that after a few weeks of drinking these things, my stomach would get so painful and rumbly. I finally went to the doctor and told him about the drink. It turns out that it had been too acidic and it was damaging my stomach. Now I only get my fix of caffeine through coffee.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Energy drinks are effective to me, but as much as possible I stay away from them. I only resort to using them if I really can't avoid not falling asleep without their help. And the bad effects that I experience, nothing really while it lasts within me. But once that it wears off, I feel fatigue and terrible weakness. I feel like by taking in too much of it, I become dependent on it. It's actually hard for me to get away from it.

7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Well for one I'm addicted to energy drinks. I was drinking three or more a day last year when I got kidney stones. The stones were so bad I got a bladder infection and they scratched my urinary tract so bad I got a uti. While I was passing the stones and in enough pain as it was, I was getting intense migraines from caffeine withdrawal. I was in such a world of hurt I swore I wouldn't drink them anymore. Lol as you can tell by my avatar, that is not the case. I only have one or two a day now, but I still get painful migraines if I go a day without one.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't believe that people enjoy or benefit from energy drinks to the point that they would drink them every day. Or maybe it is just the taste?? Because a lot of energy drinks taste really nice. Red Bull, Lucozade, and Monster have really nice tastes, depending on what flavors you buy.

Another bad side effect of drinking these drinks is tooth decay. They are so fizzy and full of sugar that the tooth decay is terrible.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Haven't had an energy drink for over a year and don't miss them at all. The amount of sugar and caffeine in them is absolutely ludicrous. If you go on youtube and search "amount of sugar in energy drinks," there are several different examples of how much sugar they actually fit into the can.

I understand that sometimes we need to stay up later, but there are better ways to do it than drinking energy drinks. That much sugar is just dangerous for your health.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not like energy drinks very much. For me, they taste like cough syrup. I absolutely hate them. I have heard a lot about their bad effect on health too. They effect the heart

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never read up on the official notes on the downsides of energy drinks but from my experience I always feel like my blood and heart pumps a bit faster whenever I drink energy drinks so I try and not drink too much of it too frequently, especially since I don't really need it all that much because I'm not doing any hard labor anyway.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Imagine drinking 5 to 10 cups of coffee in a single sachet or bottle. That's how potent energy drinks are. They have concentrated amounts of caffeine and if you're not careful, you'd end in the hospital. Although I'm not trying to discourage anyone, it would be wise not to take energy drinks just to get things done. Drink one only if there's no helping it.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I once had a can of Redbull when I was working late and it was really helpful and it kept me awake for hours but after the energy boost, I've experienced some really weird things happening in terms of my heart and pulse. I never had another can again.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I never had problems with energy drinks except that well, sometimes if you drink without thinking about the time you might end up not sleeping at all or maybe getting to energized for nothing. I never drink energy drinks anymore, I tend to stick with water or just plain old coffee when I'm up to something.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you think that energy drinks have far more caffeine than coffee, then you don't know anything. A cup of coffee contains anywhere from 75 to 200 mg of caffeine. An 8 oz. can of Red Bull contains around 80 mg of caffeine, and a 16 oz. can of Monster contains 140-150 mg of caffeine. You would have to drink over 100 cans of most energy drinks AT ONCE in order to take a fatal dose of caffeine, so good luck with that.

99% of deaths where energy drinks are even mentioned as a contributing factor involve individuals with pre-existing heart conditions they didn't know about.

The reason why people feel bad or strange after an energy drink or cup of coffee is because they probably don't consume caffeine that often. It's a substance that regular drinkers build up a tolerance for. That's why people constantly feel like they need more caffeine. On the other hand, irregular drinkers of caffeine don't have such a tolerance, so caffeine hits them harder.

If you drink tons of caffeine for three weeks and then stop drinking it for about two weeks, then your tolerance for caffeine will end until you start drinking more caffeine regularly.

16. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Energy drinks usually have the same effect on me as coffee. It keeps me very jerky and just overall very uncomfortable because of the palpitations. Also, energy drinks can cause dependence and eventually, you will feel very weak or tired without it and that's not good at all. I try to drink it only when absolutely necessary, but otherwise, I will just make sure I eat right and sleep well at night to have enough energy all day.

17. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    My advice is to stay away from them. Not only they can cause hart problems, but they are also addictive. I don't think that they are very dangerous for your health, assuming that you don't suffer from heart diseases or something like that, but they are simply carbonated drinks stuffed with caffeine. So, why not drink a cup of coffee instead? I know, it's not that tasteful, but trust me, it's much healthier and has the same effect.

18. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You have to know your body's limits, and you should always follow the warnings on the can. Each can has a maximum recommended daily dose printed on it. I don't really drink energy drinks anymore, because my body doesn't react well to caffeine - I get too shaky and I feel awful.

19. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried drinking energy drinks but I do have some friends who are addicted to it. The effects energy drinks had on them is not good, like staying awake all the time and having heart palpitations. I find more reasons not to try it and just stick with my cup of coffee whenever I needed that extra energy to get through the day.

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the fact that you get palpitations from drinking it, is indication enough that it's not to be trifled with! Energy drinks are known to contain a lot of caffeine, which is not designed to be had in copious amounts due to potential health hazards.

I don't mean to be scare mongering but have a look at the link below. I mean, obviously these people went way overboard, but I'm sure you'll get the drift: