The Bad Effects Of Energy Drinks?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Radix24 • Feb 18, 2015.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    The caffeine and sugar content in these things is extremely high. Honestly I'd recommend just sticking to a cup of coffee instead. If you absolutely must drink these stop at one can and avoid daily consumption.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree, especially because these drinks te
    I absolutely agree with you there, especially because these drinks tend to be very addictive. If you know that you have some heart related condition, or get palpitations from drinking them; even better reason to avoid them. Sadly, some people don't know till it's too late!

3. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    There are many possible effects on health due to energy drinks, caffeine isn't the main problems as they contain less than the average cup of coffee but they are heavily sweetened and are associated with other risks.

Anyone with an underlying heart condition could go in to cardiac arrest due to the drinks causing more forceful heart contractions. Headaches are another side effect as is insomnia and type 2 diabetes due to the high sugar content of these drinks. People can also become addicted to energy drinks.

4. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I used to drink a lot of energy drinks because I work nights, but I know they are no good for you at all.

Other than the initial rush they give you, I find that they actually make you feel more tired than if you do not drink them at all! There are major health implications if you drink too many and can cause strain on your heart. I had a day where I drank three, near enough one after another and I felt horrible. I had palpitations and it made me sweat a lot, which is a sign that your body is trying to get rid of it. After that I stopped drinking them all together.

I actually read a story of a poor man that used to drink these all day every day, he got through eight cans on a normal day. After around a year of drinking these none stop he had a massive heart attack, which was later found it was in direct relation to drinking too many of these. I think that is rather scary, especially considering how many of my colleagues drink these on a daily basis! I will stick to my water I think!