The best gadget to get my son that has a love for reading?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Sweetkymom • Apr 10, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    My son is 12 years old and loved to read. This child reads a 1,000 page book in maybe two days! His teachers encourage the reading so they allow him to read in any and all his downtime. I really want to get him a electronic where he can read from so I can do away with the paper books that are causing dust and allergies go flare up. Any recommendation on what's best?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I hear a lot of great things about both the Nook and the various Kindles. You could save a bunch of money by going with a slightly older model or buying used. It'll probably need to be replaced in a couple years anyway, so there's no need in going overboard with costs right now.

3. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    1000 pages in two days is amazing. I can't read for 10 minutes without getting tired and distracted.

Tablets personally bother my eyes. Kindles are supposed to be good. Having the kindle program for your computer would be useful too if you buy ebooks. Sorry, I don't have any strong recommendations. I'm just impressed by fast readers. :)

4. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I have a Kindle and it is great. I would not recommend the Kindle Fire because it has a backlit screen and that would probably bother his eyes (it would bother mine too). A slightly older, simple e-ink model would probably be great for him. Nooks are good too, but I had a slightly better experience with my Kindle. A little book light might also be a fun gift :)

5. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that is one amazing kid you have right there! I have a kindle fire and it gets the job done, though I got it used. Make sure to download a few books for him too!

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would consider giving him an iPad. Apple has a wide-varying apps for reading through iPad, be it for leisure or for academics. It is really helpful. I am college student, and I put in there all the ebook copy of my textbooks and all other that we are asked to read like a novel book. On my part, it is very convenient because I do not have to carry those big heavy books to bring to my class. I just bring my iPad. And whenever I am wanting to read something else, I just look for either an app which has that or an ebook copy of that, download it and open it through iBooks.

#6Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Kindle is one of the most popular ebook readers these days. It's really a great tool for electronic reading and makes reading easy plus it doesn't hurt your eyes unlike some ebook readers out there. I'm sure your kid will appreciate if you get him one of these. :p

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kindle is great, especially the paperwhite. But getting rid of books altogether is quite stupid, no gadget will ever replace those. Especially for someone with such a love of reading. And all the allergies talk is really just talk. :p

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I heard the Kindle is great because of the battery life. From what I understand it only uses up battery whenever you turn a page so leaving it on a certain page doesn't drain energy at all or if it does it probably is a negligible amount. I think this would be the best substitute for actual physical books but I personally still prefer them.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ad supported models at least drain battery as they go. But even then, you have to charge only every month and a half or so.

11. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    You can now even read on your iPhone as long as you download the app for the store you buy your ebooks from. You can get a kindle app for purchasing amazon books, you don't have to actually own kindle. So, if you want to save a little and get him a good phone that will serve a dual purpose. Other than that, I prefer the kindle because of ease of use and you can do other things on it as well. It's good for watching amazon movies as well a Netflix movies.