The Best Gift For A Senior Citizen?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 8, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    So, it's about that time of life where my uncle is becoming the big six-O...

*whispers* "He's turning 60, but don't tell him", lol.

I realized that I haven't gotten him (or anyone really) a gift in a long while. I guess I'm not the "mushy" type, so I don't really expect anything during these typically sentimental events, and I guess that's translated into my poor gift-giving skills (sad, I know, lol).

But, that's where you guys come in.

I need your help in allowing me to find the perfect gift for my uncle who's basically "over the hill" in terms of the age bracket, so what I basically know is that he's not gonna be totally into the "young, techy gadgets" like my 14-year-old cousin would be, but he still thinks he's "not outdated", lol, so I don't quite think that a clock would work for him either.

So, that's what makes it difficult for me.

What would you get your uncle/other loved one who's a senior citizen with a birthday?

Let me know!

1323354479122_7797521.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry to say this but 60 is not over the hill. Your uncle has a lot going on for his self. What does he do, golf, garden, music, long walks, photography. The gift is not about his age it is about what he likes to do with his time even read a book or watch a movie.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it were me I'd just give them a gift certificate for a relaxing getaway. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big and expensive one, as it can range from anywhere between a nice massage and treatment at a spa for the whole day or maybe even an overnight stay at a hotel. These days there are coupons for everything too so you could even get discounts for those activities and end up only paying half or even lower.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would be a good time for your uncle to learn how to cook. I'm making the assumption he isn't a great cook. So get him one of those fancy cooking manuals.

Or alternatively you could get him some gardening tools. Most elderly people I know enjoy gardening. It's not only good for exercise, it's a way of passing time agreeably whilst doing something productive that might save money in the long run if they grow vegetables or herbs.

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, all your suggestions are awesome!

I must say I agree that he's not quite "over the hill" at 60, but as his nephew, I'm given the "right" somehow to exaggerate a bit, heehee.
    He's actually in great health and enjoys sports, including the ones mentioned, so I definitely take your point that a gift that's centered around his likes and interests would be a far better approach than trying to get an "age-centered gift".
    As for the spa/coupon idea, I like that as well. My mother always used to say, "Give me the money you'd used to buy the gift, and we'll shop for it together," all because she didn't quite trust our sense of what she'd like vs. what she wouldn't, and just didn't want to be disappointed.
    And finally, as it relates to the cooking class idea, I think that's great as well! He's actually a fairly good cook, but who says "no" to cooking lessons and getting a free meal at your own hands?! loll.

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    60 is the new 40, or so I've been told by the television. It sounds as if he's still in good shape and active, so I don't think a bathrobe and slippers are in order. It definitely depends on what his interests are, as well as his budget and home situation. If he's on a tight budget, he might appreciate a gift card to his favorite restaurant so he could go out to dinner with some friends, or one for an oil change or tune up, depending upon your budget, as well. Otherwise, one to a sporting goods shop, or maybe even spending time with you, rather than an actual gift. If he enjoys fishing, you could set up a time frame to go do that, or take in a new movie, etc.

7. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if he's into sport, why not something like a certificate to go-kart racing or normal car racing or something of the kind? (Like in The Bucket List) It seems like one of those things that would be a big thrill of "youth" and that someone would enjoy doing anyhow.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm laughing now. When someone says "elderly" I start thinking "eighty-ish", at which point I think a lot of people are beyond being given things so much as maybe just some special attention. Sometimes it's just nice to take an elderly friend or relative out to eat or spend a day taking them out to help run their errands or do some necessary shopping while maybe squeezing a nice lunch in also. But here is your uncle turning 60 and you say he is in good health and all. Take him zip-lining. You'll both have a blast.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a very tough thread to comment on. For my father when he was still alive, I would save money to buy him the expensive perfume that he loved. For my mother, a cloth for the dressmaker is appropriate because she wants a tailor made dress and not the ready to wear.

10. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    For someone who is elderly and doesn't get out much, I think time is the best gift, whether that's taking them to a restaurant or a promise of a regular date to play scrabble or read to them or whatever they like.

It sounds like your relative is a healthy active 60 so I'd go with either something focused on one of his hobbies or a gift card. I got my oldest aunt a groupon giftcard for her last birthday and showed her how to use it and she was thrilled by the options available. It let her pick an experience rather than more STUFF that she doesn't need. If you're short on cash, you could totally still give him time. He may not be into the newest tech gadget...but maybe he would like help to really master his smart phone or learn the awesomeness of how to use skype to video-chat with the grandkids.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When my folks turned 60, they seemed to start scaling back on all the clutter throughout their house, and weren't as interested in more gizmos and gadgets that will ultimately end up in the closet or cupboards taking up space.

Does your uncle enjoy watching TV? I'm not sure what your budget is, but sometimes it's nice to have an extra TV in a room you didn't normally have one, such as a TV in the kitchen - so you can watch the news, or the game, while trying to prepare something to eat. Or if you're entertaining in the kitchen, it may be nice to have on in the background, or if you're having friends over to play cards, etc... Or the TV could even be for the bedroom if he doesn't already have one in there. Sometimes it's nice to fall asleep to some late night shows, if you're having trouble nodding off.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    What is your budget? I know that my uncles like things that pertain to their hobbies. My uncles who like to fish get tackle boxes or new fishing gear. Is your uncle sporty? Get him a gift card to a sporting goods store. Does he like movies? Give card or Netflix for a year!

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    ok, your post is kind of insulting. I am nearing 60 myself and do not consider myself a "senior citizen." Most people that age are still working. Also, why do you think he wouldn't like a techy gadget? I was just talking to a 75 year old friend who is going to get an IPad. Also my mother at close to 80 her favorite toy is her kindle fire...so get whatever makes you happy.

14. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on his personality, regardless of his age. Everyone's different; everyone's going to want different things for their birthday. Better you ask people who know his likes and dislikes a little more. Normally I would say a book of some kind, but I've no idea what his preferences are, sooo... y'know?

15. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually thought of this, especially that my father and some of my uncles are nearing the big six and O age. The gifts that I thought of which are on a budget would be: anti-aging cream or snail cream for the face, a cool watch, spa and derma therapy gift certificate, or gym membership gift certificate. Anti-aging creams are great for those who are conscious of their appearance especially those who want their wrinkles to go away and those who want to age gracefully. A cool watch is great for men of their age since it is like a manly symbol. Everybody would love some pampering, especially seniors, so a relaxing spa and derma session is great for them. Since they are getting older, it important to have physical activity on a daily basis to prevent the onset of diseases so it would be great for them to have a gym membership, especially those gyms which have a sauna, swimming pool, running track, and bathroom Jacuzzis, which I am one hundred percent sure they will enjoy greatly.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you can't go wrong with giving him clothes. I'm pretty sure you know how he dresses up, right, so buy him a shirt, pants or polo that is in the shade of his favorite color.