The best store to stretch your budget

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Pocs • Aug 27, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Tree. Hands down. It's the perfect place for cards, wrapping paper, cleaning supplies and so on. Not to mention the numerous craft ideas I have gotten while checking out their merchandise. Which changes weekly. With holiday decorations alone you can save a bundle and I have. Plus if you use silk flowers for crafts, if you ask they will save the ones that fall of the stems and give them too you, at least the ones in my area does. I also don't have to travel far, they are popping up everywhere!

2. DrowningGirl

DrowningGirlMember

Threads:
    I totally agree. I have a dollar tree near me and it is amazing what they offer there. I have gotten baby clothes, socks, organizational supplies, craft stuff (like you) and even microfiber towels to stuff my baby's cloth diapers with. It's amazing. I also get my paper towels and paper plates there. We mostly use cloth towels and real plates, but occasionally need disposable. Getting them at the dollar tree really saves money.

My other go to place to stretch my dollar is the thrift store. I almost never buy anything new anymore. Some thrift stores only have junk, but if you take some time and visit the ones in your area, chances are you'll find a good quality one. There is one local to me that my husband and I go to weekly. We have gotten beautiful furniture for a fraction of the price. Baby clothes, sometimes new with tags, only cost $1. Occasionally you will have an incredible find in one too. I saw an almost new kitchen aid mixer once for about $50, a fraction of the cost of a new one.

3. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    I do shop a lot there lately.

Art stuff- crayons, bingo markers ("paint markers" to the kids), construction paper, coloring books, stickers...
    Wrapping supplies
    I will also admit when we were doing fertility treatments, the dollar tree pregnancy tests were my best friend (and VERY sensitive and accurate!)

4. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have this chain near me. I can find certain things at Dollarama from time to time, but definitely isn't a staple for me. I have to say Walmart is often the best store to stretch my budget. They are very lenient with taking coupons and price matching. They also have some pretty good sales. The clothing has gotten a lot better too. I really like the George line, it is pretty hit and miss, but sometimes you can find some cute stuff for dollars.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    In the UK, there's an equivalent store called Poundland, where you can get toiletries, stationery, kitchen ware, food, DIY supplies, gardening items - in fact almost everything you need to keep the home going. Very often, you can save more than half the cost of buying the same items from the supermarket. It's my first port of call for non-food items.

6. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Really, that's very interesting, Poundland. I've never been to the UK before so never knew that. :)

I'll say much of what everyone else is and that's saying Dollar Stores. I get most of what I eat from Wal-Mart. If theres any other items I need and I remember it, then I grab it up. So I get maybe even more things from Wal-Mart than I should. :D

7. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I know that Walmart is a great place to shop if you do not want to spend a lot of money and you're wanting to save money. Also, mentioned in the post of above me that Dollar Store is great place to buy less expensive items.

8. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    My local dollar stores are always more expensive than I can get elsewhere. I prefer sticking to my Sam's Club where I can get everything for much cheaper.

9. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for reminding me of one of my old favorites. I used to shop at Dollar Tree a lot, back before I knew what a coupon was. We moved and there weren't any near by. I haven't been in one in over five years. I also have two kids now. It's getting harder and harder to shop with the kids and mess with coupons. I've started going to the smaller grocery stores so I can get in and out faster. I think I will check out Dollar Tree for some of the health and beauty stuff. Even if I have to drive a bit out of the way to get there, it sounds like it's worth it.

10. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I agree Dollar Tree is a great store to stretch your budget and soon they will start accepting coupons if they haven't started already. I purchase all of my household cleaning items from Dollar Tree.

11. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar tree just started using coupons, right? Have you been there recently and used coupons? I wonder how much one can really save at this store doing this.

12. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I've been buying some shirts to the online store named zazzle last week when I heard the Linux Community in our area is going to conduct a meeting and so I was trying to impress by wearing Linux shirts I've bought on the store :D

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a Dollar Tree nearby so I shop at Walmart to save money. Whatever Walmart's flaws may be, I have honestly never picked up an item at Walmart and said "This would be cheaper somewhere else."

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They recently opened a new Dollar Tree not that far from me. I always felt kind of left out when fellow couponers talked about how good the deals are there. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I kind of have a cleaning supplies fetish and I heard they have good cleaning supplies. Maybe I'll finally get to try LA's Totally Awesome all purpose cleaner.

15. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, the Dollar Tree is the absolute best store to stretch your budget and the product quality isn't bad! I love that I can go in there and buy soap, detergent, cleaning supplies, and paper products and actually walk out under budget! That just doesn't happen when you buy those particular items at a retail store or grocery store! I do have to admit though that I'm buying for a small family. If you have a large family, buying from a retailer that officers larger quantities may come out cheaper in the end!

16. JJohnston

JJohnstonNew Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Store can definitely be worth your buck, especially for things like party supplies, cards, silk flowers, and general knick knacks. I however, will not buy food there. I honestly prefer other stores to the Dollar Store if I need something to last me a while or work really well (like cleaning supplies - shower cleaner from the Dollar Store does not work). I also like bulk stores like Costco. Yes you spend a good amount up from, but the cost per unit is so much less than buying items individually or in smaller quantities. I particularly like buying paper towel, ground beef, baby wipes and diapers, and bottled water there.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family consists of my daughter, my cat and me. I'm just a single mom with a cat, so I don't need to buy things in bulk but I do sometimes stockpile things to avoid surprise trips to the store.
    I'm waiting until next weekend when my daughter has some free time and then we're going to kill half a Saturday afternoon at the Dollar Tree. I've never been to a Dollar Tree before because ours was recently constructed so I'm looking forward to it. I love dollar stores.

18. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Store is okay but I think a place like Aldi is better because I can stretch my budget to cover not just toiletries and other such goods but also get my food for the week at a very low price.

19. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    We really like our Dollar Tree also! We buy some food items there, vitamins, toiletries and you can also buy pregnancy tests for $1, thats a great deal!

20. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    The Dollar stores would seem to be the best place to make your money go further. I find some great things there.