The Best Time To Shop?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Aug 7, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Go shopping when you are angry and you'll end up spending more money than you'd planned to. Shop when you are feeling stressed [to wind down] and you'd spend a lot of money.

According to some researchers, more than a 1/3 of Americans go shopping because it's like therapy to them when they are feeling anxious or stressed.

Shop only when you are all relaxed or else . . .

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is very true! Last time I went shopping I was very upset and anxious and I'm still paying the price of how much I spent!! Shopping is definitely therapy to me, and that is so dangerous because I tend to go for more expensive stuff when I'm upset, for sort of a comforting indulgence.
    Lately I've been on a really tight budget because I just bought a new car and I definitely cannot afford any other indulgences!

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that makes sense. I guess it is kind of in the vein of don't go shopping when you are hungry. I think using "retail therapy" can be a fun way to pass some time...but if you are using it to feel better about something in your life..it is probably going to end up backfiring in the long run, because you will more than likelt end up buying too much, and then feel worse for spending too much money on items.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to live about a mile away from a mall, and I was definitely going there on a daily basis after work. It was just relaxing to walk around and check out all the stores to see if there were any new products that caught my interest or any special deals or markdowns on anything. I racked up quite a bit of charges on my credit cards though, buying clothes, colognes, shoes, small kitchen appliances, DVD's and such. Thankfully at the time though, I was part owner of a small company which we sold off, so I came into some money and was able to pay off my cards (and close many of them). But had I not been able to do that, my debt probably would have snowballed further.

As for food, I would also typically shop at the 24 hour grocery stores, and go at like 11pm or 1am to shop for my groceries. It's so peaceful walking around the store with hardly anyone in it getting in your way, and no long checkout lines to wait through.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go shop when I know I need something, that way I won't be tempted to buy other things. Another good time to go is when you want to get some fresh air or some exercise; you're already walking around so much in the store, so long as you're not eating a sweet dessert or a fried treat from the food court you're burning some calories!

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is so true, @Denis Hard! I will hold my hands up and confess to using shopping as retail therapy, and I can confirm that you do end up spending more. I'd also urge people to avoid shopping on an empty stomach. I always end up wanting to eat the whole store and buying the rest of what's left LOL

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I can shop when I'm angry, but I do shop when I'm sad. It really is for the better to just not go out and just sleep when you're upset so that you could save money. Don't even try to browse in online stores, because that would be too tempting.

8. Lushlala

Threads:

hehe dear Sidney, easier said than done LOL if you're anything like me, shopping is to me what food is to comfort eaters! I almost can't control it, especially if I have money. I'm not joking, my heart pounds and I start to hyperventilate. When I'm in a clothing store I like and I know I have the money to spend, it's enough to make me pass out LOL Well, I've not passed out yet, but I get very excited.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, In my case, I'm not a "comfort shopper" then. I just can't shop when I'm upset. I would prefer to just sleep. I can't imagine going out upset, people would surely notice my angry expression.

10. Lushlala

Threads:
    Oh but Sidney, once I'm able to shop, all anger and hurt almost melts away LOL Actually, the minute I decide I'll go shopping, I start to feel the adrenalin rush and excitement, which then takes over from the feelings of hurt and anger. By the time I'm done with my shopping, I'm all happy again :)

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, Really? Then good for you then. My energy is already drained from arguing and my head is already aching for me to be able to shop, lol. Even if I have money to spend, I would just wait until my mood gets better before I can be able to go out of the house.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true. You are much more likely to spend more money than you're supposed to if you're stressed, and this is something that has been proven many times in research studies. The bad thing is that afterwards, when you have calmed down again, you may feel as though you have spent too much money, and the guilt of this can make you feel even worse. So you should never go shopping when you are in a bad mood, as you are certain to regret it when you spend more money than you can really afford.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I completely agree. I myself only shop whenever I'm feeling celebratory as I never really found shopping to be that relaxing especially if I'm shopping at a physical store where it can get very crowded. I usually just turn to other hobbies if I'm feeling anxious as I find those a lot more therapeutic but I won't deny that shopping does make you kind of happy at the end of the day when you see all you've bought.