The best/worst things to buy at yard sales

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jessi • Jun 28, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:

I agree with the majority of her list on both sides. What would you change or add to one side or the other?

2. Lucky120

Lucky120New Member

Threads:
    Yeah buying electronics and mattresses is not a good idea. I mean you do not know who slept on those mattresses or who sat in those car seats. With electronics I never buy them from a yard sale, because you will surly be disappointed. Sometimes they do not work or they will stop working and when that happens you cannot take them back. I do not really by furniture either, because sometimes the pillows and everything are bad.

3. mimi8zm

mimi8zmMember

Threads:
    I definitely wouldn't buy a mattress at a yard sale. I also would not buy shoes. I don't know, maybe its just me, but I don't like using shoes that have been used by other people either. It's another thing if they haven't been used though.

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    There are always posts on Craigs List of Kijiji alerting people that they bought a couch or mattress off so and so and it was full of bed bugs. I agree, shoes and sleeping materials would be the top of my list.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I would pretty much agree with the list and with what everyone else has already posted. I will add one thing to the "good" side of the list. Tools can be really good items to get at yard sales just as long as they are in good condition! I avoid getting any kind of power tools but hand tools can be bought for a lot cheaper at yard sales.

6. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    I would never buy a used toothbrush :p That's about it :)

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I buy most of my books from yard sales, and rugs can be a good buy as well. I'd never buy anything electrical, and I wouldn't buy mattresses, pillows or duvet covers either. Shoes is another no-no. I'll buy clothing, as long as it's not stained and it doesn't smell musty, but I'd never dream of buying second hand nightwear or underwear.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the list on the worse side. Now that bed bugs have raised their ugly heads I stay away from pillows and soft fabrics you also have to be on the look out for roaches in things coming out of other peoples homes. You never know. I like to find things for gardening, dishes and books at yard sales.

9. Jessi

Threads:
    Same here. I sold some at a yard sale that still had tags on them, but I wouldn't even consider putting out my previously used underwear. I'm not sure why other people do it either, but eh, okay, lol.

10. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    It is shoes for me as well - I have a serious phobia of feet and find my own disgusting enough. The idea of wearing something that has had someone else's feet in, no matter how good the condition makes me feel ill!! I have bought electronics before and had no problems so it would seem I got lucky! I never spend a lot though.

11. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    I think this list is right on the money with yard sale stuff. Electronics are a bad thing to buy at yard sales because if it's a computer, how many viruses could it have gotten from before? With stereos, how long have they been in use, will they be able to last awhile? With mattresses you'll be buying more than just the mattress, but a few dozen hundred bed buddies to join you. The baby-related things are a given. These are pretty much right on the ball!

12. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    In that case, if you are going to a yard sales, I can go along with you. I have absolutely no problem with used shoes. In fact, I like used shoes more than new ones. There's some kind of comfortable feeling about shoes which have been used. Usually when I buy used shoes, I would give them a good washing before I wear them. Soak them with anti-septic solution overnight. Smells as fresh as new after a day of drying in the hot sun.

13. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    She has a good list here, except I would put furniture on the don't buy list. Well it depends, if it is a hard wood rocking chair or kitchen table set, that is ok. I would not buy something like a couch or a recliner that other unknown people have sat in. If I can't clean it real easy, I won't buy it. But otherwise I have made out pretty good at yard sales.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree with pretty much everything on that list. I don't really get to see that many yard sales, but when I do, I always make sure to check for furniture. I love furniture and design. And the good thing about buying them from yard sales is that you get them for a really cheap price and most of them are still in very good condition, just a bit old. What I do is have them restored for a cheap price, just a little sandpaper and varnish goes a long way for old furniture.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    The best thing I think for me to buy at yard sales is cast iron skillets and pots. I love those kinds of things and when you cook your food in those, oh my, your food is so delicious and has a different taste to it. I don't want anything but that type of cookware. This is what was used many moons ago and that is what we should all stick with to cook our food.

16. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with majority of her list. Yard sales ate fantastic for finding childrens and baby clothes, I have even found great clothing for myself. Furniture is my favorite find, of course when it something I need.

I have actually purchased electronics from a yard sale before, prir to the purchase the woman demonstrated that the item did work. Her son just purchased a new one.

17. Jessi

Threads:
    I have, too, and I've sold electronics as yard sales as well. I always make sure I have an extension cord handy so I can show them that an item works. Generally I'm selling it because I've upgraded or have more than one, so I simply don't need the other any more.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I disagree with the electronics to a certain point. I wouldn't buy a computer or blu-ray player, but I would buy a blender, after checking to make sure that it powers on. If you pay a few dollars for a blender and it only works for a few months, you haven't lost much. Many people buy kitchen appliances or receive them as gifts and don't use them. The chances are that the person is getting rid of the blender because it's been sitting around and not being used much. So I'd risk buying a blender or a juicer, because again people start out with good intentions but don't use the juicer so it ends up at the yard sale. That doesn't mean something is wrong with it, it just means that juicers are a pain in the butt to clean.

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can see why people wouldn't buy electronics at a yard sale but does this mean I have no chance of selling my TV? I know CRTs are even hard to give away but surely I can find someone that needs a TV and would be willing to pay for it. I was thinking of keeping it on so they could see that it works but how would I do that when the yard sale is outside? I will sell it for cheaper than I did last time too. I don't even see why people are so snobby about TVs. The old type is perfect for plugging game systems. In fact I even heard that they lag less than the new TVs. It seems like they are more durable than the new TVs too. The only reason I want to get rid of mine is I have no space for it (but it's only 19 inches so it can't be that much trouble for everyone to lug it) I have a smaller CRT so I'm keeping that one for the other game system.
    I see them all the time in Goodwill and it seems like they just sit there so maybe not but I would hate to give it away and then find out later I could have sold it. It feels wasteful to just give things away.

#19Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  20. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I would say the worst ting to buy at yard sales are electronics.

Simply because in my experience most used electronics are defective. There is no true way to tell what kind of condition they are in. Buying used electronics is just a bad idea in general.

The best thing to buy at yard sales are furniture. Because you can determine safely determine their condition on the spot. You won't have to hope, and wish that it is a good buy. You will already know before you buy it.