The Book Depository - BEST Place to Get Books

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by razelia • Apr 30, 2012.

1. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    For the past year, I've found myself in a need for a place to buy some books. The problem with our local bookstores is that they don't stock the items fast enough. Either that, or they stock it in very little amounts that it gets out of stock so fast (and they don't even bother restocking).

A friend of mine then introduced

. Though it's based in the UK, it ships virtually anywhere around the world - for free. That's right. And almost any book you can think of - they have it.

I've ordered around 12 books from them, with 3 more upcoming since I pre-ordered them (you get discounts if you pre-order something), and I have to say that their service is top-notch. Orders are easy to make, especially if you have Paypal, and they do offer occasional discounts (there's a promo being run now, I think. Something like 10% off of your orders until the end of May).

The only difference, or maybe downside, with Book Depo is they always ship your books separately, from my experience. For example, I had this order of four books recently - though shipped at the exact same time, they all arrived at different times, in different packages. It was no big deal though, since they were only a couple of days apart. And for some reason, packages from Book Depo are always skipped/ignored by our customs office - hence they always arrive at my doorstep without me having to pay customs taxes or whatnot.

Nonetheless, I've had a really great experience with the Book Depo so far, and I'd recommend it to everyone who's looking for some hard to find books. Also, I think they offer eBooks and audio books (as well as some fandom specific merchandise. I think they have Harry Potter wands and whatnot).

#1Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. emmit6378

emmit6378New Member

Threads:
    Thanks so much for this info!! I love books (real ones) I like to hold them when I read them and I like to turn the pages! I am going to order a book right now! And a harry potter wand!!! so cool !

3. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I will keep this in mind. I haven't made the switch to an e-reader yet - I'm still stubborn about loving real books. I'm sure print copies will get harder and harder to find as time goes on.

4. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    One of the things I ordered from them was actually a Harry Potter Time Turner :)). This place is just awesome.

I mostly buy manga/comics there, though. I have Volumes 1-9 (with Volumes 10-12 in pre-order) of the Pandora Hearts manga from them.

5. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    This is the first I have heard of this website. Thank you for the information. My oldest daughter is in kindergarten so being able to find books for her at a reasonable price is going to be a large bonus for both my wallet and her education! lol

6. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I love reading books! I will have to check this site out and see if it will have some of the books I want! Without this site I would have to rely on Amazon which can be a pain at times!

7. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't recommend the switch. I bought the Kindle like a year ago and I'm still buying new physical books every couple months. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I USED my Kindle period.... though I do know for a fact I spent $40 in Barnes and Noble the other day. :/

8. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you so much for this site! I'll definitely be checking it out for their selection. I love the fact that shipping is always free and I'm getting discounts on all sorts of books ranging from novels to manga. Definitely bookmarking this for future reference! Thanks Razelia!

9. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    I have purchased books from the book depository on several occasions. All of my experiences have been positive, though occasionally it has taken a few weeks for my book to arrive.

10. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    That's to be expected since they only use normal airmail or something like that. My own orders actually take a month and a half! But they still arrive, nonetheless.

11. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a great place for a book hoarder like me to visit. lol Do they exchange books? Do they sell used books?

12. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Hrmm, I believe they only sell brand new books. They have this sister site though, called AbeBooks or something like that, that does sell used books. I personally haven't tried Abe though.

13. ebookshop4me

ebookshop4meNew Member

Threads:
    Online ebook Shop is the best place of ebooks online. Find the best selling books in 2012 at

14. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    This is some great information! I will have to check out this site later on today! I mean where else can you find books for free! Sounds like a great deal to me!

15. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, um, Book Depository is a shop. You pay for the books.

16. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a lover of reading and I just love to be holding on to the physical book than to be reading off an e-reader. I definitely recommend Book Depository for all those out there who are looking to purchase titles they either find not in stock locally or far too expensive! I've bought many books from them and their prices are really much lower than other online retailers not to mention their awesome worldwide shipping that is free! They usually have discounts for books and I've saved up to 10 precious dollars buying a book from them than my local bookstore. Shipping by them is also rather accurate in terms of estimated time of arrival and your books are always bubblewrapped so there is no worries of them being damaged. If they are, customer service is always there to assist in getting a new copy to you at no charge at all. I have nothing but praise for the team at Book Depository!

17. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    Awesome info, so they ship worldwide for free? I'll have to take a look at this one, this will definitely put a lot more books on our shelves.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Book Depository also has a store at Ebay, but I noticed that there have been a lot of negative feedback about the store, and some claim that they have misleading ads. Oh well, I guess the store has some flaws, but all in all, I think that the feedback section will guide you as to what type of books are the ones that you should not purchase from them.

#18Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  19. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Interesting post. I am a reader but over the past year or so I have been hitting the library but I do order books fairly regularly. I have been pretty happy with my dealings with Amazon. I am in Canada and I use Amazon.ca not com.
    Amazon.ca has free shipping after a certain dollar amount is hit.
    And it also has secondary sellers and used books. Sometimes you can do better with a secondary seller and paying a shipping charge than the main, not all the time but once in a while.
    Ryder13

20. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! thanks for this information. I have been looking for a couple of books for sometime now. I have been wanting to gift these to a friend of nine but I haven't been able to get them. I will check the link and hopefully they have them.