The Cheap Food!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by wallet • Jul 10, 2017.

1. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Did you know that some supermarkets offer meat, cheese, eggs, etc at a very low cost if it has 2-3 days before to expire? That's true, they do have such food, everytime I enter in a supermarket I go to the discount section to see if they have something to offer. Besides they offer vegetables and fruits with a high discount if it has spots and signs of transportation!
    I save a lot of money every month buying from discounts!

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I do know about that. If people will buy them though, they need to consume it ASAP so there won't tragedies. Food close to expiration should not be hoarded. They can still be eaten but they should be eaten immediately.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I always look for meats that have been marked down. You can save a great deal by buying meats that are getting close to their sell by dates. They are just as good as the newer ones and you save money. Win-win if you ask me. I usually will cook them within a day of buying them or freeze them to use later. Why pay full price when you don't have to since some meats can be really expensive.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Since the meat still have two days to expire I don't think there'll be any big issue buying them especially when discounted. The thing is it's only going to expire and not go rotten since it's frozen up in the refrigerator. So long the meat is still in good condition inside the refrigerator and haven't finally reached the expiry date I can go for it.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have knowledge about this (and this is very good to save a good money) and I usually do this type of shopping, but not so often, because I only buy a few specific items.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that's certainly a good offer, especially if you will eat the food immediately, but if not, then of course you will pass up on the offer. I don't really buy fruits and eggs so I rarely see such discounts.

7. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    If I can find any food item that is being sold for cheap price because the expiry date is near, I buy that item immediately. However, I will check the original pirce, I will not buy if the food does not cost half of the original price. I will also check the size of the packet. If I cannot consume the food before it expires, there is no point in buying that item.

8. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is a good offer for the people who eat this food in the same day or the next one. Some people don't understand that is no differences in taste, the difference stays in the expiration date and price!
    Thanks, all of you for your answers!

9. Merissa

MerissaNew Member

Threads:
    It is in fact true, they do that at my supermarket all the time. They slash the prices for yogurts, cheese and expensive chips and biscuits that are not often bought. It can save you lots of money and you can enjoy the expensive stuff you don't usually buy at a cheaper price. I always try to eat them as soon as I buy them because of the expiration date.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our favorite supermarket is SM Hypermart. It has a gondola (big rack) at the center aisle that has the sale items. It’s not exactly expiring food products for the rack also contains non-perishable items. But I agree that perishable items like fruits and vegetables are very cheap since they are about to expire tomorrow or the next day. For the meat and fish, the discounted items are found near their section. Meat that was unsold yesterday go for 50% discount today. However, the discounted meat products are easily gone by noon time so you have to come earlier for that. But I only buy discounted meat products if I can cook it at once upon reaching home. Otherwise, I don’t buy them at all.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They have discounted pastries too for the same reason that it must be consumed right away. I like it for I can usually find some treat with low sugar and cheap. I find delicious pistachio cake so moist and so cheap too. I love to find bargains like this. I find really good cuts of meats that are on special prices and I cook them up right away. We're a small family of two right now, so we can freeze meats for later. Good way to save as long as you consume it right away or can make something with fresh produce like jams or stews.

12. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think every cheap food is bad. Some of the time some food which is costed low can be good enough. I know I have seen people who eat such food to be healthy. It depends on how people are eating the food. I have seen some of the times such food takes a lot of time to prepare if we do at home. So yeah street food at cheap cost can be good enough.

13. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Well that's okay and it makes sense since they don't want to throw away the food that have their date expired, but also don't want (can't) sell it to other customers. It's a good way of saving money since cheese and meat is pretty expensive, but also you have to know that you are going to use it when you buy it, so you don't end up throwing money on nothing.

14. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I look at the mark-down rack at Walmart sometimes and you can find some artisan breads-and also some apple or cherry pies that have a very low price on them-maybe half price or lower. A lot of the baguette breads are marked down as well-but sometimes they are quite hard and stale,so you have to eat those up as soon as you have your dinner that night or decide its not worth saving 50 cents?