The Cheapskate's Guide To Stretching Your Food Budget

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Jun 29, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was looking around for ways to save money on groceries, and I came across this article. Not only does the article have some good suggestions for how to save money when shopping for groceries, but it also has quite a few other links embedded within the article that relate to this main one, such as 7 Foods to Buy When You're Broke, which could also prove useful, especially at the end of the month, when many people have to really work to stretch their budget.

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    This article has some very good ideas in it. It definitely makes sense to have a plan and not just a grocery list. I really hate going to the grocery store since I find food very expensive and it can be overwhelming trying to figure out what a good deal is and whether I can afford certain foods or not. I hate not having enough money to buy all the food that I want or like to eat. I will have to read the article again and see how I can incorporate the ideas into it for the next time I go shopping.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Like you, i want to save. I appreciate you sharing the article.

4. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    The high costs of groceries resulted in three changes in my behavior when it came to food shopping. First, I became a coupon connoisseur and started bringing a significant number of coupons with me to pair with items that were on sale in a supermarket. Second, I would keep track on what items would go on sale for a particular supermarket and I would wait to buy these items until such time when their prices were significantly reduced. An example of this periodic buying is the Shop Rite ' Can-Can' sale that typically takes place in January. Lastly, I started growing a number of vegetables and fruits in my garden which significantly reduced my overall food cost.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I don't think we have Shop Rites where I live. I've never seen them, although I have heard of the chain. What does the Can-Can sale consist of @My3Sons_NJ@My3Sons_NJ?

I want to delve into the additional links in the primary one when I get some time. I'm sure there are some tips and tricks I could stand to learn about saving additional money. I really like the e-coupons that Kroger has, and the fact that they're simply uploaded to my loyalty card. That way, I don't have to worry about keeping track of random paper coupons, although I do still have to keep track of the sizes/brands/models of the items, since sometimes there are quite a few, and if I grab the wrong one, I won't receive the discount.

@morgoodie@morgoodie I totally understand. I can do without a lot of things, but having to cut back on the food I eat really makes me feel poor, and I don't like that feeling. I've never had an abundance of money, and don't care about really expensive clothing, jewelry, cars, etc., but having to choose the cheapest generic food items really brings home to me how much my situation has changed. I'm grateful there are options I can afford, but I don't like having to do without the few little food luxuries I used to splurge on occasionally.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the cost of food being so high at certain stores it would certainly behoove all of us to stretch our food dollar a little farther.Thanks for posting the article, and I am going to check it out. LIving on a Dime is another good source of materials for great shopping, inexpensive meals to prepare etc. The Dollar Stretcher is another good place to look for tips on stretching your grocery dollars.

7. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I am definitely someone who subscribed to the cheap veggies and staple foods like rice. There are a lot of places in most areas that have produce cheaper than stores like Walmart. With a cheap veggie and rice, all you need is a protein to have an all around meal that will keep you feeling full. For me, chicken, rice, and broccoli is a classic.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for these tips! My dad has been growing vegetables in our backyard now for quite sometime. It has indeed saved him some money. Seeds are quite cheap too, so it's worth the effort.

9. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I've never heard of those sites, @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon, thanks, I'll have to look into them. I'm sure there are other ways of saving money that I've never even considered.

I did plant some vegetables this year, as usual, but we've had a particularly heavy rain season, so they haven't worked out. I replanted some carrots and tomatoes, and hopefully they will come to fruition. I am going to have to do some research into seasons, to see if there's enough time left in the year for me to put in a few other varieties. My plants flower most of the year, so hopefully I'll be able to supplement my food budget with some homegrown items.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with that Dame. There is a store here that has Walmart beat by a mile when it comes to prices on fruits and vegetables. They have a reduced section that offers semi decent fruit and vegs for a song, but their regularly priced items are cheaper than Walmart's and the other grocery stores in town as well. Aldi's sometimes has extremely good prices on produce as well, and if you are into volume...Costco is the place to get a bargain on those items.