The Cost Of Owning Cats

Discussion in Pets started by DrRipley • Dec 27, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm thinking of buying or adopting a cat for my sister on her birthday and I'm even thinking of getting one for myself so both can serve as each others' companion. I'm worried that it can get expensive though so I'd love to hear some advice from our cat owners here. I know I'll have to get the required items like litters, beds, toys, but the expenses I worry about most are good and vet bills because those are a bit more regular.

I researched the price of cat good here and it's priced at around $45 for 22kg, and I'm wondering how long that would last so I could calculate it better.

2. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I honestly don't think that cats are that expensive unless they get sick and have to go to the vet. I have 3 of them and pay about $5 for a bag of Purina that 2 of them eat for about 2 weeks or more (my other cat is on a special diet because he's got kidney issues). I did spend $40 on a litter box recently but that's because I have a 3 legged cat and needed a special kind of litter box. Litter is only about $10 for 20 lbs. here. So, you're probably looking at about $30 a month for 2 cats.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Keeping cats healthy and happy doesn't cost much if you disregard the initial outlay for spaying and immunizing them against various diseases. After that it's usually a yearly or bi-annual health check up at the vet. Of course, there are also costs to be considered for worming pills every three months or so and, naturally, quality food. But, all in all, I find that cats cost less than dogs, and they are easier to maintain as they are more self-contained.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Cats do not have to be fed cat food bought from stores. If you are adopting a stray, it would probably know how to make a meal of just about anything edible. So you can share your food with your cat without much problem. Just make sure that you don't teach your cat to eat while you are eating. Make sure it knows that it has to wait until you have finished before it gets its turn.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the vet part can be overlooked, because my cat who's now 10 years old only got to see a vet twice due to kidney stones. He's an indoor cat too, so that makes him safe from outside germs.
    I don't buy my cat any cat food after he developed kidney stones from feeding him Whiskas, so he only eats table food now. And so far, since that vet trip 8 years ago, he hasn't encountered any other problems.

6. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    Despite whatever the cat food manufacturers may claim, packaged cat food cannot be the only food you feed your cat. Just look at all the stray cats. They are eating from trash cans and, generally speaking, stray cats are healthier than stay-at-home cats. One thing, though. I did read somewhere that certain people food is poisonous for dogs. Does anyone know if there are any people food that must never be fed to cats?

7. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    This isn't directly related to your question, but I just wanted to caution you to be VERY SURE your sister wants a cat and is willing to pay to take care of the cat before you get her one. These are generally not good gifts to 'surprise' someone with. I volunteer at an animal shelter and an alarming percentage of the pets that come to us were Christmas gifts or birthday gifts that people either never wanted or have tired of. Picking out an animal is also a very personal process for some people- what if your sister doesn't like the specific cat you pick?

I don't mean to be negative, but in my experience this is just not a good idea.

8. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    You have pointed out one very pertinent question. Yes, not everyone wants to have a cat. Yes, not everyone who wants a cat can take care of one. Yes, not everyone who wants a cat should have one. Maybe if there is a cat cafe nearby (where they have cats you can pet while drinking your coffee), it might be a good idea to take the sister over there to see how she interacts with cats.

9. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    I am not so keen on the monetary value of cats but I must say that it is costly in terms of the time you have to give your cat or any other pet for that matter. Cats love attention and they want to feel and know that you see them every step of the way, I like this about them. They need to be trained in terms of where they should and should not leave their mess. I remember having a cat once and he would defecate everywhere in the house except for in the litter box, it was overwhelming this part of it but they are lovely creatures to have as companions.

10. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    This does not apply to all situations where you keep a cat. If, say, you live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood, then keeping a cat is a very simple matter. Cats are independent animals. They don't have to be taken for walks because they go for walks by themselves. They don't have to be entertained all the time because they can find entertainment by themselves. It's usually the kittens which like to play. Older cats just lie down somewhere comfortable and take naps.

Of course, if you live in a neighbourhood which is not cat-friendly, then keeping a cat is a chore. In which case, you should really re-consider the question of keeping a cat in the first place.

11. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, let me just put it this way and not sound like I am being sexist after all I am a woman myself, but it would actually depend on the sex of the cat how costly it will be. Yes, again being a female means more money is spent, why because cats breed, and breed, and breed, take my word on that one. My cat Pepper had two litters of kittens in six months time because she was still feral when she became pregnant both times. So, a female cat will need to be spade to keep them from reproducing, this can cost around a couple hundred dollars. As with a boy cat it would still be a good idea to have them neutered but this won't cost as much. Anyway, cats need to be fixed especially if you are talking about two of them and if they are of the opposite sex. It won't matter if they are related, cats are incestuous and don't care who they breed with as awful at that sounds. Anyway, its the vet bills that would be the biggest expense with a cat, that and the food.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's all a matter of strategy. If you know where to find your resources, you don't have to spend more than you can chew. Is $45 the standard price? You need to canvass for prices. General merchandisers or agricultural veterinary stores usually sell whole sale and retail cat food at a fraction of the price you normally see in department stores and/or groceries. You might considering buying from these shops and spend not more than $20 for cat food alone (consumable within a month and a few weeks).

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's a link that answers your question:

I now will not feed my cat raw fish, because sometimes when fish is being cooked here, the raw innards get given to our cat.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The cost of owning cats is quite more these days. I do believe that grooming them takes more time than anything else. I think if you are able to grooming them themselves then you can reduce the cost.

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The cost of feeding a cat or any other pet is the least of your expenses. Cat food can be purchased on sale in larger quantities just like human food. If your cat is going to live indoors, you have to have a cat box, litter that must be changed every few days... your cat will also have health needs that need to be addressed. It's a large responsibility that will continue for several years.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are serious about adopting these cats and planning on going through with it, you can and should get pet insurance for emergency situations, and make sure you understand exactly what it covers and does not cover. It's only a few dollars a month, and can really come in handy if either of your cats develop a serious illness. There are also prescription plans you can sign up for. We have three cats now, and so far the biggest issue is they got fleas last month so we had to get prescription flea medications for each of them at $40 a pop for three cats, not including the office visit. You'll also need to have them brought in for routine check ups, teeth cleaning, and having their nails clipped in addition to any other issues they may have such as allergies. If they need surgery, it could run into the thousands, which is why you really should look into the insurance. It's not fair for a cat to suffer because the owner cannot afford to get them the care they need.

Also, I can tell you as a relatively new cat owner, that you should also be prepared for the potential damage they can do to expensive furniture and belongings, in addition to "spraying" your walls and everything else they choose, and tracking cat litter all over your carpets and floors. Be prepared to have to do some deep cleaning periodically. The cat litter thing in particular has been one of the biggest annoyances because it really wears out our vacuums and carpet scrubbers. Plus no matter how often you sweep it up, it's always on the floor moments later - my socks are covered in that fine powder and bits of the litter when I walk around the house without shoes on.

17. Monkey

MonkeyNew Member

Threads:
    NO.

Cats have specific dietary needs which are not met by the typical human diet. Cats need taurine, an amino acid, without which they can experience blindness, heart and digestive problems. This is why you shouldn't feed cats dog food and why you should always ensure your giving your pet a complete, not a complementary, food.