The covers of a book, do they matter to you?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by prettycolors • Aug 21, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Each time I buy a new book I search for the edition that has the most eye pleasing cover (even if I end up paying more). Why? Because I like looking at my books from time to time after I finish reading them and a beautiful cover gives me a warm feeling inside. I know, it may sound weird, but that's the way I am :eek:

What about you, do book covers matter?

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    It does, but I don't like overly fanciful covers. Something that is neat, and well presented is all I ask for. I'm not looking for something resembling a children's book cover.

3. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't care much about book covers. I usually don't buy books, but if I do, I buy them at the bookshops that offer used ones for real cheap. I browse the selection and buy the ones I like. I live in a small country so there is usually only one cover available anyways, so I can't choose even if I wanted to. While I like books that have beautiful covers, I'm more interested in what's inside. You shouldn't judge the book by its covers, you know? :)

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel the same as you do. A nice cover, preferably even a hardback cover, gives me a warm glowing feeling. I don't just like looking at it, but also enjoy touching it, especially if I find the contents of the book exceptional. :) That's why I also like to buy CDs. I simply love looking at the art work that went into the cover and the arrangement of the lyrics.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Covers are like a book title, giving an overall appearance. This is an interesting thread as I am finishing a book and am thinking what sort of cover would be best for it.
    Personally I don't like fiction ones with models on the cover as they indicates a tragic romance which is not the genre I read, so it does make a difference whether you take a second glance or pass over it.

Dark covers usually indicate a thriller or horror. The recent new cover of Roald Dahls,Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has created an outcry as it nothing like the previous covers and doesn't bear much relation to the actual book. It is a photo of a made up doll, unlike the cover I had as a child.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Covers don't matter to me. I can read a book that has only a title on it's cover page as long as the story promises to be interesting. It's getting to be harder to find books with great cover art because most writers are just trying to get their books published. They don't have the money to pay someone to create some great art for their covers. Because of that, no matter how bad the cover of a book looks I'd buy and read it if I'm certain it's a good book.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't really let it affect my decision all that much, but I have to admit that a nice cover does entice me a lot more to buy the book. If the design of the cover doesn't agree with my taste that much then it would have to be a really good book that I'm seeking out, English for me to ignore the cover not being up to standard enough to put in my library. I've grown used to reading on my tablet though and there I rarely even see the cover so I'm much more forgiving about it nowadays.

8. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    The cover often times is what entices me to look at the book and consider buying. If the title is also catching then we have a winner. I prefer novels to be soft-cover and other books to be hard-cover. I am not sure why Depending on the genre i like the cover of thrillers to be dark, for romance to have the picture of a couple, and westerns to have a western type picture.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah... Well, kinda. I do look first at the cover of a book and see if it's creative. It affects my decision to read the summary a little bit. Most of the time, I read the title of the book. If I like the title, I'd go to the summary and see if it's worthy of my purchase. However, there are times that I simply look at the cover. If the cover is not nice, I move on to the next book. Still, covers are not a good way of gauging if a book is worthy of your time or not.

10. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I feel the same! I definitely hunt out the best edition of a book since I collect books myself. I'm proud that my collection looks really good! Still, if there's a book I really want and the only option is a cover I don't particularly like, I'll still get it. ''Don't judge a book by its cover'' and all that.

11. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I would say don't judge the book by it's cover but I think it's pretty wrong when it comes to actual books. The title says something sure but if the cover isn't appealing it's gong to stay in the shelves for a long time. The cover is the eye catcher so it has to be really good.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wouldn't you buy a used book that had no cover?

I've read a number of good books which had just the title on it's cover. But since the authors were very famous, just the name of the author would get the book sold. For new writers, I suppose great cover art would help draw some attention to their books. But as I wrote in an earlier post, covers don't mean much to me. That's probably why I can used books at ridiculous prices [just because they have no covers].

13. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    While in life I think it is important not to judge a book by its cover; in the world of writing the opposite is often true. I have often read a book and went back to the front cover to reflect on the story line and what the cover has to tell. For example, if the story is about a girl living in 15th century England, and on the front cover it shows her dress, her surroundings and possibly a man in the background - I will go back to the cover when those points or that character is revealed. I have often found it disappointing when the story-line has not matched the front cover, showing that the publishers did not pay attention to the storyline when choosing it. The font should also never be over-used and should be visible from a distance making the Title or the Author's name stand out.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The cover matter quite a lot to me. It just makes me feel very happy when the cover of the book is very good. I enjoy reading when the cover which is very bold and with lots of bright color. I have also come across books that are not having such great covers, but are one of the best books to be read. Usually I read such books on the recommendation of my friends. However, when I pick a book it usually has some awesome covers. The covers usually tell a lot about the book.

15. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it does. It's the first thing you see in a book so your first impressions will have to rely on the cover, if the cover is dull and unappealing you may skip it even if it's a good book and gravitate towards those that have a more appealing cover that may or may not be a good one.

16. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    It matters to me a little bit. I don't like covers that show the movie adaptation of the book. I'm not really sure why but I get turned off by it. Other than that, I could care less if the cover looks dull and unappealing. As long as the book is a good read, I'm all good.

17. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    OMG!! Yes they have always mattered to me. To be honest I love just walking round the library and looking at book covers. If the write up is good on the back then it might interest me. I do read eBooks though and well the covers on those don't tend to bother me as much.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time it's ever mattered to me is when it's a book that ended up a movie and they change the cover to the movie image. I don't read books because of the movies they inspire. I watch the movie because I liked the book. I don't want to look at my bookshelf and see a bunch of movie images lol. Many are classics and I prefer the original covers.

19. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah I can understand where you're coming from with this. They do say to not "judge a book by its covers" and that may be true in a metaphorical way but ironically for me, as well as other people it seems, the cover of a book is really an image that you want to express whatever is written in the book and if that cover completes artistically what is in the book, for me its like 30% of the value of the whole thing. Books are mostly about imagination, so a good visual on the cover goes a long way I think :)

20. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    The cover is merely artistic magnet for curious or interested readers or buyers, but personally, a good title is by far worth more in weight than the covering. You can have a book made from tree bark and paper leaf, as long as its title is provoking and sparks a 'a-ha' feeling, I will read it or possibly purchase the book. Some books, over years of popularity, require only a plain cover with the title and it will be enough for people to be interested e.g. Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Arabian Nights, Illiad, etc.