The desktop hydroponic unit called aerogarden

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Ruth B. • May 27, 2014.

1. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    We have three aerogardens. If you have ever wanted to get started with hydroponics, they are an easy affordable way to grow plants in water. They come with their own grow light and are a good size to both sit almost anywhere and also do the job of growing plants. You can also grow larger things, we grew tomatoes once, some of the units come with support lines to brace tall plants.

My first aerogarden I used what they call the international basil kit. I love growing basil. While some things are out of it's limits such as spaghetti squash or other very large vegetables, the aerogarden unit is a great way to also start seedlings and plant in dirt later.

They don't just sell their own seed kits. There are also 'grow kits' with medium to put your own seeds in and start your own plants.

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have looked at these but consider them to be outrageously expensive for what you get. They are a great idea and I see that they have expanded their product line to include more energy efficient models. Potting soil and a grow lamp are cheaper and just as effective but you have to set them up yourself.

It is nice to see that they actually work. Were you able to get a good crop of tomatoes? One thing about growing indoors is being able to have fresh produce in the off season.

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    We have found them to be worth it because of many reasons. Yes, the tomatoes did really well. I enjoyed having basil out of season, plus no bugs like outside. I have also really loved the 'control' and freedom of many things I don't get in the ground, like I said, bugs, the timing of things, seasons, etc. I have liked starting seedlings this way. I have really enjoyed after many years of growing things in the ground that I really love growing things in water also. That is another advantage, those that want to start hydro, this is a way to start learning. It's really a 'bug' that once you catch it, the aerogardens just make you go further into 'real' hydroponics as well as aqua.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been looking into these over the years, but was curious as to how well they worked and how easy they were to maintain. Some reviewers had mentioned that certain models were a bit noisy. Did you have any problems with them being too loud? Especially when you are trying to get some sleep. Another concern I had was how these things are cleaned and maintained. Doesn't the water become moldy and stale over time? Does it need replaced regularly? What about the pump? I used to have a decorative humidifier, one that would fill a bowl with fog and glow different colors. It looked nice and all, but I had to take that whole thing apart and clean it at least once a week because a muck would start to form in the bowl and on the humidifying device.

I suppose these aren't necessarily cost-effective since you are shelling out $350+ for a device and plant pods, and you would have to grow quite a few tomatoes and other plants to make up the difference. But I do like that they are indoor devices and don't require you to mess around with bags of soil, which could get really messy in an apartment. Plus it keeps your veggies away from bugs, and birds and other critters.

Can the larger device grow multiple types of veggies at the same time? I would probably want to grow some tomatoes and peppers together, but I don't want to have to buy a separate unit for each type of plant.

5. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    These are great questions! First of all, ours have not been very noisy at all. There is a small gurgle of the water, but that sounds soothing, almost like a fountain.

What is more of a question on sleeping is the light! The grow light is BRIGHT, and it's as much or more as a desk lamp. What I did was use one aerogarden exactly like that on the end table of the couch. I set the timer to come on and go off when I could sleep, because if you can't sleep when there is a light on in another room, then this would be distracting. So you do have to have that timer set for the grow light to your personal preferences. That works great until there is a power outage lol, then I had to reset it.

Cleaning comes mostly after the growing cycle. Yes, they do have to be washed out really well at that point Washed out and cleaned out VERY well, and replace the water completely. The pump is pretty easy to maintain, that guy keeps going like the Duracell battery. You have to scrub where the liquid food we put in and also all the roots can get it pretty filthy so cleaning around the pump area is essential. But the pump is pretty easy, it is sealed.

As for cost effective, here's how I approached it. Go to the store and get seven basil plants. See how much they cost. Then add dirt and the cost of pots if it's your first time. Then factor in bugs, etc. It soon becomes obvious how quickly cost is recovered on herbs alone. I got the international basil kit, and I was able to experience plants that I have never had before.

And off season, don't even get me started on being able to have herbs year round. That year round factor is huge. Ever go to the fresh produce section of the grocery store and try to buy fresh basil, in season or not? It's hugely expensive. Hugely. The desktop aerogarden paid for itself very quickly. One year I tried to put in a garden and I was up to several hundred dollars in plants, dirt, etc. And all that stuff was GONE with bugs, sun, rain or lack of it, cost of WATER to maintain it, the list goes on and on of how expensive a garden is if it does not produce for one reason or another.

So yes, there is more than just tomatoes to make up the cost for the aerogarden.

No, on the peppers and tomatoes. The tomatoes are going to take up all the room I'm afraid. But there are other combining plants things you can do.

Are you on Face Book? Try this group. They astound me at what they grow in aerogardens. But then, most of them there are heavy into hydro and aqua both. They are WAY more professional than me with aerogardens. Anyway, you may find something.

Hope this helps. I would have loved to have known about them when I was in my apt. The grow light would have helped with my security as well, what with the light being on at times I was not home, being a light to get in, etc.

As you mentioned, there are all those other factos to throw in with convience.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter bought three of the Aerogardens, and she just gifted me with one that she had been growing herbs in. It is an AWESOME grower, and I love it already ! I totally agree with everything that Ruth B. Said about it, and even though they ARE expensive to buy, they should last a long time as long as they are maintained properly.
    Just the ability to grow food year around is a huge benefit and should pay for the cost of the growing system in one season.
    You can also start the seeds in the Aerogarden, and then re-pot them as they get a good start of growing and are able to be planted either outside or in a planter pot.
    I have taken the large basil plants out of the one that my daughter gave me and replanted them . Since it is winter, they are inside for now; but once I have the plants that were already growing in the Aerogarden planted in other containers, then I can start some tomatoes, and cucumbers for setting outside in the spring.

image.

7. SterlingJay0123

SterlingJay0123New Member

Threads:
    I would love to do this if I had the space! Realistically, if I had a home with outdoor space I would probably just plant a regular garden, but I know how quickly plants will grow in these things! I wish there was a more affordable way to put together a bunch instead of paying so much for one. I'm sure there are ways, but finding something that actually works is another matter.

8. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve actually been interested in getting one of these. They do seem pricy but I’ve heard that it really helps herbs grow. I love having herbs on my windowsills but they typically only last a few weeks before they die. I end up buying new plants several times throughout the year (especially in the winter time). I have a big garden during the summer time and wish I would grow vegetables during the winter months. Do you think this would allow you to grow anything bigger than just herbs?