The Difference Between Dollar General Stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Zyni • Apr 10, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have quite a few Dollar General stores in the area. In fact, in one area there are two locations within a few miles of each other. The thing that I always find surprising is the big difference between the stores. Not only do some carry items that others don't carry, but some are much better, cleaner, and more organized than others. The closest one to me is usually a wreck. I still go on occasion, because of the convenience, but I'd rather stop at a different one if I'm already out somewhere.

Have you noticed a big difference?

2. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I have also seen similar huge differences. The Dollar Tree stores also have huge ranges or merchandise and organization level. I think it's because the stores are primarily franchises, not run out of a single corporate office somewhere.

3. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I agree. The are definitely hit or miss. Our local Dollar General is awful. I still stop because the next closest one is 25 miles away. I agree with the idea that they differ so greatly because they are mostly franchises and not corporate so each location can have its own set of rules.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always find Dollar Tree better quality and not as shoddy as the other stores. That's why people are so surprised with Dollar Tree that things are good. I think they have a fast turnover of stock which helps and the locations are handy for people to visit regularly.

5. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    We also have quite a few Dollar Stores all around us, and each store offers something that the other ones don't have. I tend to go to the closest one to me, and this store generally cleaned and well stocked.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    They have been changing around in my area for the past 10-15 years or so - sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse. Overall it seems as though they are trying to build more of a "Dollar General" brand, than how they used to be, more of a generic "dollar store", that would carry brand-less items, or items from lesser known knock off brands. Now many of their items have a "Dollar General" brand on them, and they seem to be a bit more active with advertising as well.

Most recently, some of the locations have expanded into larger store formats, with grocery sections carrying fresh foods, frozen foods, pantry items, etc... Unfortunately, along with these expansions came higher prices. And ironically, they charge *more* for many of the same items you can get cheaper at even a chain grocery store. This is completely ironic considering that the whole point of going to a dollar store in the first place was to get generic items at a cheaper cost. Now their prices on many items are comparable to a gas station that happens to have a convenience store attached to it, but they charge you an arm and a leg for the limited selection of items they carry.

7. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I notice the differences. It is like the owners buy according to their preferences, or what they get good discounts on when they shop. I browse around each store and get to know their merchandize, and when I need certain things, I know which one to go to. Of course, I have to do this every couple months, because when they refurbish their stock, there is a whole new set of items. I began buying small spice containers once, then they switched up on me and now I can not have a matching set.

8. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I am certainly in a similar boat as you. There are so many dollar stores around my area that it seems like there is one on every single corner of my city. It gets really redundant whenever I am driving and I am looking out of the window, trying to enjoy the view, and then I see like eight dollar generals.

9. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    We have 4 in the nearest town. That town is less than 5 miles side to side. And then another one nine miles south of town. When I go to town it's typically for a monthly grocery shopping trip, so I have the trip all mapped out. I go to the one that's on the same side of town as my grocery stores. The sizes vary slightly, and the amount of grocery items in each store is different. Most of their other products are the same. Sometimes they'll have different shoes, or what not. I guess it just depends on what sales out the quickest in any given store.