The Dollar Store -- What's a deal? What to avoid?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by ragtimeannie • Jun 23, 2014.

1. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    There's a dollar store just up the road from me, and I go there every two or three days. I just can't resist the bargains! However, even at the dollar store, you really have to keep your wits about you when it comes to saving money. If you can get a bar of soap for a dollar at the dollar store but you can get four bars of soap for two dollars at Walmart, it's not hard to do the math there and see what's a better deal. You really do have to pay attention to the price you're paying per unit in order to come out ahead at the dollar store.

Now, my particular dollar store is Dollar Tree. To my delight, they take coupons! Not all dollar stores do, so check ahead before you bring any coupons in there. The coupon deals have resulted in lots of free stuff for me: toothbrushes, toothpaste, air freshener, cereal, lip gloss, eyeshadow, shampoo, you name it! I stock up on the makeup items, particularly the lip gloss, for Christmas stockings, and the toothbrushes are great for family vacations, since we all use electric toothbrushes when we're at home.

Some of my other favorite items to buy at the Dollar Tree include fudge bars, fruit bars, tortillas, acne cream (same active ingredient as Clean & Clear), and popcorn. The only downside to shopping there is they have so many tempting items to buy that I don't need, decorations and such, so I just avoid that part of the store when I know I'm feeling weak. Also, I have learned the hard way that at least some of the soaps and deodorants don't agree with my sensitive skin, so be aware of which brands affect you adversely before you stock up.

What do y'all think about the dollar stores? What are some of your best deals?

2. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I go to Dollar Tree a lot. I buy most of my pantry items and condiments there. With that, though, you have to be careful because, like you've said, sometimes the math adds up the wrong way for you. But it's a great if you want to get salt and pepper in little grinders or a jar of jalapenos. They even have some pretty tasty frozen items and a good variety of Sargento cheeses, too.

I really love the Dollar Tree. Every now and then you can even find some great CDs, books, DVDs, and Blu Rays there. I don't understand why more people don't shop there. I suppose there's the stigma of going to a "cheap" store, but I'm OK with that as long as it means more money in my pocket!

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that out of my dollar store shopping experiences, the Dollar Tree is by far the best. However, that being said the Dollar General also offers Saturday 5.00 off of 25.00 coupons and has discount on color codes which can make it a decent purchase if one is keen to taking advantage of this option. There is another one that is very clean called 'Family Dollar'. I haven't noticed any great sales but I must admit that the aisles of the other two at times get very messy and so the Family Dollar in the town where I use it is by far the most pleasing to the eye. And when it comes to that, I might prefer to browse in a place that is pleasing as opposed to feeling like I am in a garage sale. If I want to go to a garage sale, I will do so. But even if I am getting a deal, if it is a new item I want it to look like it. I do not think stores should keep marked or opened things on their shelves, which sometimes happens at the dollar stores.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I've only been to a few Dollar Stores in my area and most of them are pretty good in terms of stock and cleanliness of the store. I usually just buy party supplies (hats, streamers, etc) and other misc stuff there. I usually don't buy anything food-related unless I look really closely at the expiration date, and if it's something that goes on my body (shampoo, ointment, etc) I tend to be more careful about what I buy.

I know some people have told me that you should never buy food there. I mean I guess everyone have their own pet peeves and some may think it's perfectly okay to buy food there, I can see why it makes people iffy :/

Though admittedly I have yet to get a stomach ache from eating the snacks I buy at the Dollar Store so...

5. fivebyfive

fivebyfiveNew Member

Threads:
    I live near a dollar store and I shop there regularly. The environment at the one I go to is pretty nice. You can get a "throw away" piece of furniture and I call it that because it may break after a while but that doesn't mean it doesn't initially look nice, you can get random home appliances and cups etc. However, they also have snacks and food. At the one I go to the food is obviously fresh because I see the shelves being stocked every morning. Also they have a great manager there so I suspect he has something to do with keeping the store ship shape.

The best thing about the one I live near is that they are ALWAYS open even on holidays with the exception of Christmas.

6. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Best deals there for me are the mini toothbrush flossers (I had gum disease and my dentist insists I use these, which are $5 a pack at Walmart), gift wrap which is way overpriced in most stores, and seasonal items and decorations. It is a great place to get little goodies such as Christmas stocking stuffers and Easter basket toys and treats!

I have never had too much worry over buying food there but a lot of the food isn't really a deal. You can find a good price on juice there sometimes though!

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop at Dollar Stores a lot, too, and my most favorite one is Dollar Tree; simply because everything there IS only a dollar, unlike the other dollar stores, that often charge more than a regular store like Walmart charges for the same item.
    Even at Dollar Tree, you do have to watch close, because the also charge a dollar for items that may be only 79 cents at Walmart. However, I have found items there that would be several dollars anywhere else; so if you watch what you buy, you can get some awesome deals ! !

8. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say I am a big fan of the Dollar store and the Dollar tree both stores sell the same or shall I say some of the same items as Walmart. At a much better deal. I can buy all my items and save alot I have and will continue to.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The gift wrap and party supplies at Dollar Tree are really good quality and you can throw together a cute birthday party with snacks and soda, for about $25 from Dollar Tree.
    Then all you have to do is buy a cake. Dollar Tree also has some pretty good cleaning supplies. Some of the food packages are smaller sizes than what you would find at Walmart, so you have to watch out for that, because a $1 package of cookies is not a true bargain if it's only half the size of the package that Walmart sells for $1.50.

10. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use to go to the Dollar General all the time when I lived in Arkansas. Where I live now, cheap stores like that generally have a bad rep because of people stealing, trashing the stores, and people just not taking care of it. The Dollar Tree on the other hand is more taken care of, I think because it is near the big, popular stores. I am the same way though. I could spend so much money in the dollar tree and be content. However, I agree, there are some deals better at say Walmart like the soap, certain foods, etc. I wish mine took coupons.

11. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    I like shopping at dollar tree because they take manufactured coupons. So sometimes you get your items free. I love free and I love deals. But thank you for all your information it is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

12. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Tree!!! I end up finding so many great deals there but you do have to watch out. I always go in for a few items and come out with 50!! :)

I would suggest staying away from all kids toys, their junk and don't last an hour. Baby products and clothing are another one I never purchase.
    I love their card selection and gift wrap, cleaning products and health and beauty section as well.. I have always had good luck with food and beverages as well.

If your store has a frozen section, I would highly recommend you give it a try !!!

Danyel :)

13. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Tree is one of my favorite stores to shop at. I have a few dollar stores in my town, but Dollar Tree is the best one. I've found so many good deals there that it allows me to save money and lessen my running around town.

I do love that they accept coupons. I can get a lot of items for free when I use my coupons. I usually stock up on bath and body items. I've found stocking stuffers for Christmas, food for movies, and I've added to my kitchen supplies. Most of the brands that they carry are name brand items. That's what makes me come back time after time. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought, but I also know to check expiration dates.

14. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Greeting cards are definitely a good deal. They are definitely made of thinner paper and not quite as good quality as a Hallmark card, but they still have nice things to say, or you can get blank ones and write your own message and it's the same for the person receiving it I think.

I usually purchase plastic wrap, aluminum foil, sandwich bags and kitchen things like steel wool pads and plastic scrubby pads.

Thing I avoid at the dollar store are light bulbs, due to bad experiences with the glue breaking; batteries, because they don't last very long at all; most food because it is so processed it is effectively empty calories.

15. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I buy anything that does not require second trip to the store. I will buy everyday things like kitchen utensils or garbage bags. They have everything I need for any little project I am working on, it is a great place to buy items that you are looking everywhere else but can not find. I would advise to avoid grocery shopping at these stores, since most of the food can be very cheaply made.

I tend to buy office supplies, folders, printing paper, index cards and sometimes candy. I avoid buying cheap pens, but everything else is just fine. It is not too hard to tell what products to stay away from by simply giving it a feel.

16. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Tree. It is easily one of my top five favorite stores. I buy Bounty paper towels, sandwich bags, cleaning cloths for my Swiffer, and just about any cleaning supply I could need. I like to buy makeup there. Sometimes, you can find brands like Maybelline and Physician's Formula there. I also buy name brand foods at the Dollar Tree. I just make sure to double check the expiration dates. If you love office supplies like I do, then Dollar Tree is like heaven. They have the cutest things.

17. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    My daughter loves this store. Anytime she gets some money she wants to pick something up at the d ollar tree. I get my cat food there and my cat eats it so I guess its ok. I buy craft items there and decorations for the holidays. I can get party items for when my child has a thing at school. I buy snacks there sometimes but you have to be careful cause they can be cheaper somewhere else.

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's true that some things cost less than a dollar at other stores. Still, if you pay attention, you can get lots of great deals.

The toys tend to be pretty cheaply made, so I don't really buy a lot of those. There are exceptions, since sometimes they get some decent stuff in the toy section, like Disney items. Otherwise, toys are usually one of the things I avoid.

A lot of people seem concerned with buying food at dollar stores, but a lot of it is brand name stuff. It tastes the same whether you pay a dollar for it or pay 3 bucks for it at another store. Just check the dates, and it should be fine.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would avoid their off brand body washes and shampoos as they are very weak and mostly water. Same goes for stuff like detergent or other cleaning products, many of them don't work as well and are watered down a lot. The one exception would be their "Oxi Clean" type stuff, which seems to work fine.

Also, their wall of knives, while tempting at only $1 each, are very poor quality. The few that I bought were dull right out of the package and started rusting after the first or second time I put them in the dishwasher.

Be careful with their food items too, I bought a bag of tortilla strips for salads, and when I got it home they were all chewy and stale.

Their off brand pasta sauces are terrible too. We tried out some supposedly hand crafted tomato sauce with no preservatives, which came in a plastic pouch (to reduce waste) and it was absolutely awful. Plus I can get much better pasta sauces for 99 cents at Save-A-Lot.