The Dollar Tree

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by spacetimecontinuum • Oct 17, 2014.

1. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    Dollar Tree is okay to me, and it just all depend on what you are looking for. For example, you can get a lot of good cleaning supplies, cards, personal needs, small items for the home and food. I prefer Dollar General because they offer small furniture and items to decorate the home. Of course, they are a little more higher than Dollar Tree, but still cheap. I believe Dollar General are buying Family Dollar, which is another store I like too.

2. BethD

BethDNew Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Tree. We have one in town and I go there all the time. Some of the items that they sell there for only a dollar are unbelievable. I get chicken broth there in the carton for only a dollar. They have many personal health and beauty items there that are excellent. I bought triple antibiotic ointment there and hydrocortisone and both were just as good as the store brands or the name brands. They also have brand names such as Betty Crocker. I just bought a few serving spoons there by Betty Crocker. I think this is a great store for people trying to save money. I would definitely go check it out. I think you'll like it.

3. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I can actually remember the first time I went to Dollar Tree, this was before there were many of the Dollar Tree stores around. There was only one that was about 20 minutes from were I live and I wanted them to build some more so bad. Now that they have many more that are closer to me it really helps. I love Dollar Tree and love the fact that everything is a dollar. There are times when they get really good shipments on name brand products and that's when I like to stock up.

4. Wace

WaceNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a fan of Dollar Tree. There are particular items that you can get there at a significant savings. Party favors, gift bags, plastic plates and cups are just a few of these. Some of the items are things that would only cost $1.00 anywhere you purchased them, but none-the-less, there are deals to be had. I have a soft spot for the store because it produced some great memories for my kids growing up. Every Friday after school, if they had had a good week, I'd take them to Dollar Tree to pick out a special prize or two. To this day, they still remember those special times.

5. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, to give an example of how much I love Dollar Tree, here's a quote from my boyfriend: "Watch out! Sarah got a little cash, she's on the way to the DollaSkree!" LOL He's a goof.
    There are many things there that are a great deal (like the above mentioned staples like sharpies, foil and sandwich bags, kitchen gadgets and utensils and gift bags/cards) but there are also many things you could get cheaper at Walmart (cheaper as in 98 cents versus 1 dollar). My kids like to go in there with their allowance as well, because they know that if they choose one toy, they need 1.07, two they will need 2.14 and it's helped them learn to add the sales tax and feel grown up shopping for themselves.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another good section of Dollar Tree is the garden stuff. They have potting soil and potting mix for $1. They have hanging planters, plant pots, plant food, seeds, garden stones, wind chimes, solar lights, decorative garden signs, all that nice stuff for $1. If you like gardening and plants, you can save money by getting your garden accessories at Dollar Tree.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with @Pat@Pat, I much prefer Dollar Tree than Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc. When I shop, I need to know how much I'm spending, because I'm on a very tight budget, and at Dollar Tree it's so easy, because all I have to do is count up the items in my cart, and then add tax.

As @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 said, occasionally you have to look at the package size, or price, because there are some items that could be bought cheaper at the grocery store or Walmart, but overall, I feel I get great deals at Dollar Tree.

Up until my last trip, I could even pick up 6 eggs for $1. The last time I was there, that shelf section was empty, and I think it's due to the Avian Flu issue, because I just paid an exorbitant amount for 18 eggs at Walmart, and H.E.B. has begun limiting shoppers to 3 dozen eggs apiece.

I buy 6" x 9" envelopes at Dollar Tree to ship in, for my online shops, as well as thank you mints, gauze bags, and a few other items, and I primarily shop for those items at Dollar Tree. I've priced them elsewhere, and the only place that comes close is Walmart.

I buy medicine there. I can get allergy and stomach meds much cheaper there than anywhere else, and they work at least as well as those from other stores, and major brands. I think I posted about that here before. A friend's brother-in-law was a psychiatrist, and he is the one that told us about buying medicine there.

8. kaibutsu

kaibutsuNew Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree's great for buying snack food and off brands, plus cleaning supplies and quick fixes for the bathroom or shower. At the local one we've got, I can get frozen scallops to last two or three meals on their own, packaged cheeses, all kinds of things.

Some of it's cheaper per unit at Walmart, as it's been said, but sometimes Dollar Tree has a better variety than Walmart. I can't buy scallops at all at our local grocers, and they have the cheapest frozen meals and vegetables around. I've noticed that their canned goods tend to be pricier per unit, at least where I live, though.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree about the canned goods, especially since they're usually off brand anyway, and those are much cheaper at the grocery stores or especially Walmart. I also agree about the frozen goods, because I've picked up flounder fillets for $1/apiece there, as well as good sized frozen egg rolls for $1/apiece, which was really helpful during Lent, when I'd rarely have fish in the house, but could quickly heat and eat a lobster or shrimp egg roll. I haven't seen the scallops, but will be on the lookout for those, because they're one of my favorites!

10. IrishHeather

IrishHeatherMember

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Tree for some items. The store in my particular location sells day old bread. I try to pick up as many loves as I can whenever I see them. Sometimes its hard to find because as soon as it hits the shelves... its all gone in a matter of a couple hours. I have a deep freezer at home and in they go! This bread makes excellent French Toast and bread pudding. I also grab a bunch for my churches food pantry as well.

Another thing that I love to get at the Dollar Tree is the coffee cups and glasses. Believe it or not, most of them are actually pretty high quality!

11. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, yes!
    Many of my cups, plates, silverware, etc. all came from the Dollar Tree!
    They often have neat designs and themes that are far from cheesy and very durable, surprisingly.

12. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I go to Dollar Tree for things like gift bags and party decorations. It's much more economical than even the so-called low-cost party stores. Just this past weekend I was able to buy everything I needed for a luai beach party (for a group of 11 year olds) for less than $40.

13. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    We have a Dollar Tree on the opposite end of our Walmart shopping center, and I stop in there when I need a few specialty items and I'm in a hurry. I really like their seasonal items, decorations and things. There ARE some items that sell for less than a dollar elsewhere, so you have to be careful about that. They have unique candies sometimes, like an "oops" version of Jelly Bellies, called Belly Flops (LOL), that are very good.

14. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the fact that those products are cheap because they are of lower qualities or made in China doesn't discourage me from buying from them. I would have low expectations already so sometimes, I would know that the things I buy there will break soon and I need to buy new ones anyway. There are a lot of cases where the products sold can be as low as 1/30 of the price of the products in the regular stores (such as cords or cables). If that is the case, I don't really care about the quality because it sounds like a good deal for me.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have that here but relatives in the US would be mentioning that from time to time when they came over here for a vacation. From what I gather, it is a store where you buy items costing one dollar hence the name. But the way they used the name of Dollar Tree seems to have a bad connotation, something like you buy something there as presents for people you don't like.

16. Mike Rizzuto

Mike RizzutoNew Member

Threads:
    I like dollar tree I buy all my snacks there from a scale from 1 to 10 I give dollar tree a 10 pricewise snack wise book wise I love Dollar Tree I save over hundreds of dollars.

17. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    You have to know what you are going in there for because just going in there to browse, you would come out in trouble. You see all of these cool products and you're like I can't believe this is only a dollar. I need this, and that, and before you know it, you've spent 100 dollars at the dollar store. I've seen it happen. They do have a few name brand things in there, and some of the generic stuff is not that bad. You have to go to the nearest one and check it out for yourself because they don't all have exactly the same thing.

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only problem with the Dollar Tree is that you often see so many products you like that you end up spending way more than you intend to. I have rarely gotten out of their under 10 dollars, because I always see some items I just "have to have" even though when I go in there I may just be looking for batteries or bubblebath or bread for instance. I guess I need to start making a list for Dollartree too to cut down on impulse buys.

19. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Tree is a great place to purchase some items. It is true that most of the store is full of cheaply made junk made in China, however, there are some items that can be had that are really a great deal. I regularly go to Dollar Tree to purchase greeting cards (2 for $1), office supplies, sandwich bags, aluminum foil, and sometimes disposable paper products and cleaning supplies. Our Dollar Tree actually has a decent grocery section, however I stick with the grocery items made in the U.S. only. I can regularly find 10 count packages of flour tortillas, family size bags of pretzels, canned tomato sauce, ketchup, and mustard that are made in the U.S. for $1. Gift wrap and gift bags are a pretty good deal, too. Plus, Dollar Tree accepts manufacturer coupons.

20. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9hNew Member

Threads:
    I have gotten a lot of great things there. They don't have everything I want or need there, but they do have a good selection of things. Some things I like to get there are sunglasses, make up, notepads, birthday cards, drinks, food, and other little doodads. I have even found some gifts there before. You can get more for less .