The Downside of Insurance Comparison Sites

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by lizzief79 • Mar 24, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Okay, so car insurance sites can save you some money and find you the best deal at the time. However, there is a downside that really gets to me. My partner used one of these sites last week and since he did so I have been inundated with insurance companies ringing up The House. Sometimes up to twenty times a day. It really gets on my nerves. Do other people have this problem?

2. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    Ha ha, yes, that's why you don't give them your physical phone number. There are systems that you can get a temporary phone number with, including Google Voice. Check it out, and next time don't give them your phone number.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oy, yeah, I never put my real phone number into sites like that!!

If you are answering the calls, go ahead and start telling them to remove your name from your list. Just tell them that you've already chosen insurance and don't want to receive any more calls. You can put yourself on the national do-not-call list, too, to cut down on some of the telemarketing calls.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Just out of curiosity, which site did you do the comparison on? (I used to work for one of the largest online insurance agencies in the US). It sounds like you may have signed up on an affiliate site, in which case, they do stuff like that (selling you off as a lead to multiple parties) quite regularly. This is why you need to make sure it is an insurance agency you are dealing with and not just an affiliate site. If you go with an insurance agency, they will want to get you on their own book of business, not sell you off as a lead to other competitors. The lifetime value of the average insurance customer is worth hundreds to them, vs making $7-$15 selling them off as a "lead" to other parties.