The end of denim?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Bright7 • Aug 15, 2014.

1. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I saw on the news today that sales of denim jeans have declined from last year. They are predicting the end of blue jeans as a desirable fashion staple. Personally, I love my blue jeans, and I don't plan to give them up anytime soon. What about you? Do you still love denim or are you over it?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Around here denim jeans are very popular. This is why I kinda grew bored and avoid wearing them. Sure, denim is resistant to dirt, durable and looks good - but for the love of god, wear something else too, people :p I'm guessing the good price point for the no brand versions makes them so popular, so no , where I live jeans have a long life ahead of them, they won't go out of fashion. Sadly.

3. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I hope they don't go away.
    I really can't dress myself, and denin jeans is the one thing where I know I'm safe.
    Also, what's going to replace them? This must sound like a silly question to you, but really, what else is there?

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't see this happening. Perhaps denim sales are down because people stocked up so much over the past few years that they don't need any more pairs. One of the things I love about my jeans, especially when it comes to the more expensive pairs, is that if I take care of them they can easily last me for a few years and even more if the cut doesn't go out of style. The way I see it jeans are too versatile to no longer be a staple item.

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Admittedly, I don't buy jeans like I used to. Back in the day, they were considered to be more stylish. Also, there was a celebrity face attached to a brand. Now, they are truly casual wear and I can't think of anyone well-known I associate with this material. However, I don't think denim is on it's way out.

Denim is too comfortable. So, maybe people don't buy as many jeans as before, but that's probably more to do with economics than anything else. A lot of people are still struggling with finances. So, they aren't purchasing as many clothes as usual.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was never really a big fan of denim jeans because I'm not a fan of pants, but I don't see them going out of style. Jeans are just too flexible. They are comfortable and can be dressed up or dressed down. I really like jean skirts. They aren't as popular as they used to be.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the town where I live almost everyone prefers jeans because they seem to last forever. So much as sales for jeans may plunge elsewhere, here [where I live] and in other places where most people prefer clothes that tend to last 'forever,' denim will still be as popular as it was way back in time.

The tide of fashion may have turned against jeans but I suppose they still have a long life ahead of them.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would bet money that jeans are not going anywhere anytime soon. People wear jeans all the time still, maybe the reason why they decreased in sales is because there are so many more options now. So you can choose from a lot of different options, but jeans are most people's favorite still. It's good for work, to go out, go to the mall, go to the movies, go to a concert. Jeans are perfect for everything!

9. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    There is no way that jeans will ever go by the wayside, its been around for too long for that. What designers have done is to develop new designs that are trendy and fashionable. Maybe the sales figure reflect the current global financial crisis so people are not buying the things they used to.

10. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I think jeans will forever be a classic. However, I do not buy nearly as many jeans as I once did a couple of years ago. This may be a temporary trend or it may be the new norm. I guess we shall see in the upcoming years.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Denim will always be around, but the designer price for jeans has been out of proportion. Now you can get jeans for $10 in Forever 21 versus Levis or Abercrombie for $70-$80. I always buy in a sale and never full price. The price of clothes is cheaper now, but jeans with labels as a trend is out. I used to work in a store and sell Armani jeans for $150. These days not many people will spend that kind of money on jeans.
    Denim jackets are not as popular, though I still have one or two, but wear my leather jacket or a hoodie instead now.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that jeans are just eclipsed by leggings and short shorts nowadays, but they will forever be in style in my opinion, although not as popular as before. I'm sure just as fashion changes every few months or so, jeans and new variations of it will be in style once again. I personally rarely wear jeans anymore since the flared era has gone out of style.

13. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Same sentiments here. For me denims are here to stay. The look and style may change (straight cut, stone-washed, ripped, etc.) Old denims are even being hunted down by some fashion experts and are considered priceless. In my opinion, just like any other clothes material such as silk and leather, denim is definitely here to stay. :cool: