The first things to plant in the garden

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 16, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Spring is more here in some places than others. In my area is is coming up on the time to plant the first few things in the garden. Our cooler weather limits our choices at this point in the season, but lettuce, peas, and carrots can all be planted. What are the first few plants you get into the soil each year? Do you wait until the weather is warmer or do you like to try planting early in the hopes of an earlier harvest?

2. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    Ugh, I wish. I am in Ontario, Canada and we still have quite a bit of snow on the ground. I already have herbs planted in pots inside my home. When the ground thaws and the soil becomes a bit richer, I will plant tomatoes. It has become a family day; getting the garden ready. We all get together and help out. My garden is quite small, I am limited to space at my new residence. This year we will be doing tomatoes, peppers (sweet and hot varieties) and cucumbers.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, around here it is hot to warm all year round. What I have to watch out for is the rain. If it gets too damp, I lose my tomatoes and other plants that don't tolerate the humidity so much. The cooler and drier months are a real joy and gardening gets easier. I have got mainly Asian Greens growing during the monsoon and everything else during the rest of the year. So, generally a good harvest during most months of the year. :)