The Importance of a Work Out Partner

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by kingusama92 • Apr 30, 2012.

1. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I think that your premise is correct, it does motivate you to participate in an exercise program or even going to the gym. Partners would be there to support you. Having someone who does, is one of the best things you could do for yourself.

2. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Apart from helping to motivate you, a workout partner can help to make suggestions as to how you should workout, they can also give you feedback as to your form when lifting weights. With a partner you are more than likely to stick to your workout program for much longer.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I guess it all boils down to the personality of your partner, and if he or she is disciplined enough to motivate you, because if your partner is also a slacker like you, then you guys won't really accomplish much. The partner needs to be stern and disciplined.

4. WadeWilson

WadeWilsonNew Member

Threads:
    Yes and no. It's all about how you motivate and keep up your own persistence. Consistency breeds results and if you don't keep at it then you will never get the type of body you are looking for. The partner will help you in this endeavor but only so much. If you don't want to put in the time and energy yourself then you won't make a difference.

5. illusen

illusenNew Member

Threads:
    Having a partner for working out is having a support group of 1+1. Keeps you motivated and keeps you on track.

A partner won't let you give in to your mood swings (not feeling like working out one day and just wanting to stay home and eat pizza out of the box) and when it's your turn you will surely do the same for them.

I've had both solo workouts and paired with a partner workouts. Out of the two, the 2nd version always proved much more effective.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had a workout partner when doing my workout because I feel self-conscious doing it when someone is watching. But having said that I have had a partner when I go running which I have found really helps me when I feel like giving up, not just from the motivation they offer but the fact that I don't want to give up before he does! :p

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would love if I had a workout partner who was positive because nothing can be better than having someone who motivates you and encourages you to go faster. I usually work out by myself because of my time schedule and no one can join me due to this.
    I think my workouts would be much more effective especially if we raced and got competitive with each other.
    It would make a huge difference to my weight loss I think.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would be nice to have a partner to walk with, a partner would push me on the days I don't feel like it. I use my music as my partner since I don't have one.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to work out by myself. I don't like fixing my schedule around other people's very much. I would rather be able to freely dictate when and where I will be able to work out and not have a specific plan about it days or weeks before it. I'm very flaky so I would probably just end up disappointing my workout buddy when I suddenly change my mood and decide to change my work out on a specific time. I never plan on whether I would be jogging outdoors, on a treadmill or swimming, and I prefer to have the choice as to which I would do just prior to my workout depending on my mood for that day.

10. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends, some people prefer to train on their own so they can concentrate on what they are doing and not on their partner. I don't mind either way, I can train well without and with a partner.

11. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I am able to workout more consistently with a partner than without. If you don't have a partner then you don't have to workout if you don't feel like it. If you have someone waiting for you then you have no choice. As to if I workout better it depends on the partner. If my workout buddy is my hubby I workout harder. If it's my mom in law I workout less because we talk a lot and I can't be too out of breath.