The KFC Double Down

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ami560 • Dec 7, 2012.

1. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    If you've ever been to KFC, then you know how good their fried chicken is. Now, imagine 2 of those slices of chicken for buns and bacon and cheese stacked in the middle. That, ladies and gents, is the double down. The double down was originally introduced as a promotional item, but it was so popular that it became a mainstay at the food chain and is widely available across America. I, personally, have had a few in my lifetime, and always come back for more, so lets get down to it, shall we?

Presentation: Every time I have gotten a Double Down, it has been given hot - piping hot. I don't know the statistics, but it seems like not as many people buy them, so they need to be prepared "fresh" if you order one. This is, of course, good for some reasons, but also bad for others. It takes some time to make one, so I have usually had to wait for they to prepare it, which on a lunch rush can take 15 - 20 minutes. As for form, it comes out nicely. The chicken and bacon look crispy, but only if you can see it. What I mean is that the bacon can sometimes be blanketed by the gooey cheese-sauce mixture that forms. The sandwich is also given in a paper sleeve, which does not help as it is hardly impregnable to moisture.

Taste: The Double Down is an explosion of flavor in your mouth. Actually, scratch that, its like a nuclear explosion. Biting into it is messy, so be prepared, but oh so wonderful. The chicken, bacon, and cheese all add their own oils, spices, and salts such that it combines in your mouth, yet also tastes distinct. You can tell the chicken from the bacon, but they complement rather than detract from each other. In addition, the cheeses they use are monterey and pepper jack, which add a bit of kick to the sandwich while also complementing the meats. Finally, there is the Colonel's Sauce, which is spread liberally across the top and slathered on the bacon. Its own blend of spices and herbs really adds a whole new layer to the whole ensemble, and I would personally not be averse to it being used as a dipping sauce for the sandwich.

Texture: The sandwich feels how it should. The chicken is crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. The bacon, also crispy, but it does maintain a bit of chewiness so that you don't break it into bacon bits. The cheese and sauce feel like a gooey surprise that you can bite into, and it really just melts everywhere inside your mouth. In addition, its also quite smooth, which is necessary for cheese to actually feel like cheese. The only qualm I have is that all the crispiness goes if you don't consume the sandwich right away, so eat it while it lasts.

Other Notes: I'm not kidding when I say that the Double Down is messy. It really is, so don't eat it in the car unless you want a chicken-bacon-cheese-sauce stain all over you and the seat. Use napkins liberally, as this is not the time to be thinking about how many trees were killed making sure your shirt doesn't have a new design painted on it. Finally, please don't eat this everyday. It has only 540 calories, but a lot of that comes from saturated fats, so its more of a treat (like a deep fried Twinkie) than a regular lunch item.

2. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    This is a really in-depth review! Thanks for that. I'm not in the proper group to be eating a double-down (vegetarian here) and frankly, I'm a bread-lover. I want the bread. Don't you miss the bread?

They brought this to Canada for a while. But it seemed like it didn't do as well as it did in the States. Anyone know if the double-down is still available in Canada?

3. vanstadam604

vanstadam604New Member

Threads:
    Trying not to just keep this a short "discusting!" hahaha... But I find this sandwich absolutely discusting!

Definitely not a healthy choice.

4. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Not sure if it is available in Canada. I do vaguely remember seeing a poster for it not that long ago. But I'm trying to get to my goal weight and be very healthy this year, so sufficient to say I won't be trying this. I think this has got to be one of the most unhealthy meals I've ever heard of. I think if you truly love this sandwich, make sure it is a very, very seldom treat. I still think I rather have a Big Mac though.

5. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    Using chicken for bread is pure genius. If I could I would eat one every day, but as stated it isn't the healthiest choice...but oh so delicious. I wonder if they put some addictive substance in them to keep us coming back for more.;)

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that using chicken for bread is unique and kind of clever. I've been wanting to try the Double Down for a while because it sounds good to me, but I keep getting sidetracked with other things. I might go get one this weekend. I love the idea of how crazy this sandwich is. I have to at least try it once. And thanks, OP for that very detailed review of the Double Down.

7. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Don't think I would want one of those, I don't really like cheese sauce on my sandwiches. I only go to KFC for the fried chicken, mashed potatoes and biscuits. It sounds alright if you like that kind of stuff I guess, but not for me I'm sticking to my Fried Chicken and sides.:)

8. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, you are seriously making me want to go get one of these sandwiches right now, with a side of deep-fried Twinkies:eek::eek: But that would not do for several reasons, A) I'm trying to be on a diet, B) It is 2:40 in the morning, and C) Well, I forgot what I was going to write for C, but the bottom line is that it just won't do, my thinking about going to get one of these right now!!

I really like Kentucky Fried Chicken because I trust eating chicken as a fast food much more than I trust eating a hamburger that everyone's hands have been all over before they serve it to me. I have not heard about this sandwich though.

I don't eat pork bacon, so the bacon on the sandwich would be a problem for me, however, I could ask them at KFC to make the sandwich for me, minus their bacon, and go home and add my own turkey bacon to it and see how that works!

9. vincenzaharrison

vincenzaharrisonNew Member

Threads:
    Definitely not a healthy choice.

______
    That initial conversation between these two is well-staged in

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've tasted this and it's nasty. Not only is it nasty, but it's incredibly unhealthy. I can't imagine why anyone would ever pay for this and eat it. Then again, I'm not a big fan of KFC in general. I find that the fried chicken at the local chicken shack is usually fresher, better tasting, and less greasy.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with classicnyer. I haven't had KFC for a few years now but I can remember how bland and unsatisfying it was. The chicken was like cardboard and it was ridiculously salty. The use excessive amounts of salt because it has no flavour and it makes you thirsty for their drinks. I can think of much better value for money in the context of nutrients.

12. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting. Please elaborate? Do you find that it tastes disgusting, that the lack of bread makes it disgusting or are you simply disgusted by the amount of calories, etc?

To be fair, one does not generally go to a fast food restaurant for healthy choices.

Personally, I love the sandwich and am pretty pleased that it's not hampered by bread. I'm not a fan of KFC's fried chicken, but I do like the double down.

13. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    So would this be disgusting because you don't like eating it or because you don't like the idea? If it's just the idea that seems a bit limited in scope. I mean there are many foods that look or sound disgusting, but are great for those that eat them. Lobster comes to mind - I mean you are dismembering a bug-shaped thing in a hard shell. As for health? Whatever. I really think it has gotten to the point where folks are so concerned with being "healthy" that they have forgotten how to just enjoy things. You probably shouldn't have this regularly, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have one at all.

14. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    That's a really good point. I try to eat healthy most of the time. But, there are simple pleasures in life like a cold beer on a hot day or a double down sandwich from KFC that just make life worth living. When live healthy, don't forget to actually live a little. All things in moderation. Including moderation.

15. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I think the KFC Double Down is actually double trouble. For more reasons than one. Personally I can only get a bite or 2 without feeling full. I also see a major problem with all the fat in it. I hate to be a wet blanket, cuz it does taste double delicious ater all.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen this sandwich advertised on TV. I have to admit that when I saw it I thought it look really good, but also very huge. Yes, it could be argued that its not very healthy. But since when does anyone go to KFC for health food. Lets face it, this isn't exactly the healthiest place in which to eat, but many of us, myself included will eat there.

17. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    Your review has made me hungry!!!!!! :) We don't have the Double Down in the UK, or anything remotely like it from the sounds of it! KFC is my favorite of all the fast food chains, although you have to remember we don't have anywhere near the amount of choice you guys in the US have!. I usually go for the basic Zinger burger with cheese. This is, however, a treat! While the chicken may be excellent quality - it is full of calories and god knows what else! Tastes good though!! :)

18. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe they can make a "Double Down Jr." Actually, you might try the Doubleicious sandwich if they still have it. It's basically just one patty on a bun with the same sauce and cheese and bacon as the double down.