The most expensive item(s) you have purchased online

Discussion in Online Shopping started by tinyfang • Mar 21, 2014.

1. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    With such a broad list of online shopping hubs and so many differing experiences, shops are bound to get a few bad ratings. Whether these ratings are legit or not, can turn off certain potential customers. This is especially true when scam and frauds are so prevalent throughout the internet.

Over the years, I have purchased computers and computer components from the web, but only through reputable companies like Dell, Futureshop and Ncix. The most I have ever spent in one purchase was about $1,200 at the Dell store. However, for places like Amazon and eBay, I tend to limit my purchases to less than $200.

How about you? What was the largest purchase you have ever made online and what was it? Which store did you purchase this from? Have you ever had bad experiences?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not usually one to make huge purchases all at once. I too have invested in trusted computer brands online....Dell primarily. As well as Canon products. Still, I think the most I ever spent was actually a guitar purchase and all of the necessary accessories for it from guitar center online. Nearly $2,000 in total. It was a very good experience, as all of my dealings with them have been..on and offline.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My most expensive online purchase was a queen size bed for $1,200. I have regretted it for years because I've since found that both Walmart and IKEA have decent beds for much less than that.
    I currently sleep on a $200 twin bed from Walmart and it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had. I bought a lot of overpriced things in my 20's because I was naive about the prices of things and didn't know how to comparison shop.

4. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Haven't bought anything that expensive online. Only a $80 hard drive. Was surprised it only came in a brown cardboard box with no cables or anything else inside. But still a good hard drive so far.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe the most expensive thing I got online was my new LG Smart TV! It was a bit expensive and more than I could actually afford, but I`m really happy with it! Despite it being pretty expensive and having been pretty big, it was a very good price, free sipping and it arrived in only a couple of days perfectly wrapped and working perfectly!

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought me an Iphone from an Amazon seller. It arrived within a good amount of time and is refurbished just as described. I am listening to music on it as we speak so I use it all the time. I couldn't find the 5 prepaid in stores at least not for less than 600 dollars.

7. canoe

canoeMember

Threads:
    I think most people pay the most money online for electronics. Naturally, things like cameras and laptops, which are basic, staple items in any home today, are usually in the couple hundred to thousand range. Unless you're buying a freaking car online, I don't see many people paying over 10K dollars from online shopping.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most expensive online purchase that I made was a smartphone that costs $150. I bought that one because I can't find a brand new one in our country. But unfortunately, it stopped working after 8 months, so I'm stuck with a brick phone. The downside of buying electronics overseas is that when it stops working, it's bothersome to ship it back to abroad.

9. DjoBoy

DjoBoyNew Member

Threads:
    The most expensive items I have purchased online, was the $950 HP Pavilion computer. It's a great All-in-one desktop computer. (all hardwares inside the monitor, just like iMac)
    Also the most second expensive item that I have purchased, was a Sony DSC-WX100 digital camera, which costed $150.

10. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    Most expensive purchase I've made online was a collective purchase on an online computer store; I bought all the parts I needed to build a computer and the total went up to around $1800 including all the necessary accessories (keyboard, Monitor, Mouse). It was a local computer store so all my stuff arrived the next day, perfectly packaged.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of the most expensive things I've bought online to date:

- A Dell desktop and laptop system, came to about $4000 total. This was about 10 years ago though, when laptops and computers in general cost a lot more for a reasonably powered system.

- A Canon 60D plus several lenses and filters, and flashes. I spent probably around $5,500 or so on all of this stuff in total - though I didn't order it all at once, but within a few days of each other.

- The "Total Gym", though I bought a more expensive model than the one they sell on TV. I think it was about $1800 if I remember correctly.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have the confidence to invest more than $200 on any purchase on the internet. The most expensive item I ever bought was worth $190. It was a special wooden device called a "Ma roller" from Canada that helps with back pain. The product was delivered within a few days and exactly as described. I am still using it on a weekly basis. I bought with a prepaid visa card, as I don't like to risk more than a couple of hundred dollars for internet purchases.

13. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    The most expensive item i bought online was a Laptop.

4 months ago i bought a windows Laptop on Amazon for around $400. $400 is a lot of money. For me at least. I still can't believe that i bought it. The purchase was completely against my budget, but i could not pass on the deal.

That doesn't mean that i am not happy with my purchase though. I love my laptop. It is like my best friend. I take it with me everywhere. I could not be happier with it

14. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    My experience would be when I bought a Macbook online that was selling at $1350 on Amazon last year. That is the most expensive that I have spend on my online shopping habits. The mac is still good and I will say that I got a good deal and more things are possible so long as the seller can deliver.

15. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I purchased a 9800 GX2 back in 08 and paid around 350 or 400$ for it. I have long since sold the card, it ran way too hot for my liking and the performance did not impress me too much.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is about the same for me, except for the latter number is $350 for me. I have purchased a couple phones and video cards from Amazon/Ebay. I don't necessarily LIKE doing this because it maeks me nervous sometimes, but overall, I have had good experiences and haven't been royally screwed over yet.

17. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I think the most expensive thing that I've ever bought online was my computer. Mine was only about 300 dollars, but it works wonderfully for me. Well. Unless there's a nor'easter or something, haha. I generally don't buy very expensive things, online or not.

18. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The most expensive thing I ever bought online would be the carpet for my girlfriend's bedroom and front room, it set me back £500, which I was well happy with because all the local carpet shops were offering me the same carpet for £1500.

19. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    The most expensive item I ever bought online was an iPad for about $800. I don't have a problem buying expensive items online, but generally I want to see them in person, jewelry, furniture, etc.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most I ever spent online was $1200. I think. lol! I bought a car through eBay Motors. It was being auctioned off my a local dealership on behalf of a senior woman. I don't regret it. I loved that car. I eventually sold it when I moved out of the state.

I was planning to pay a lot less, but a last minute buyer jumped in and I ended up paying more than I thought I would. No regrets, but I could have paid $400 less. Ouch!