The Need for Car Insurance

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by Real Money • May 8, 2012.

1. Real Money

Real MoneyNew Member

Threads:
    If you own either a luxurious sports car or a simple safe car then you would do well to go for car insurance much to your own advantage. It is absolutely important for you as a proud car owner to buy car insurance coverage in order to provide the best protection to your car against the damages caused by accidents and the damages caused to property. On the other hand if you don’t have adequate car insurance then you would be at a loss in terms of meeting heavy expenditure in the event of a lawsuit framed against you by the person that gets adversely affected by your driving.

Make sure that you have good driving habits before embarking on the idea of going for car insurance coverage. This has to be done in a bid to save some money on your car insurance. It is said that the best car insurance companies come forward to offer great discounts on your insurance rates if you have a good driving record and clean driving habits. Many car owners have suffered in the past due to the lack of adequate insurance coverage for their cars. Since you never know when a road accident would take place it is always important that you decide well in advance about the type of car insurance coverage your favorite vehicle needs.

All the expenditure in the form of repairs to your damaged car would be taken care of by the adequate car insurance policy. Therefore car insurance coverage is a must in order to meet the expenditure that would result due to car repair. You would be glad to know that the insurer would pay the garage owner that undertakes to repair your damaged car. The amount that is paid to the garage owner by the insurer would be shown in the excess amount that you would have to pay during the tenure of your car insurance policy. It is as simple as that. Therefore it is always better to think in terms of going for the best car insurance policy for your car. You need to have awareness about the need for car insurance before opting for the most suitable car insurance policy at an affordable cost.

2. Sandy

SandyNew Member

Threads:
    I had a little accident way back. The road was slippery and I skidded right into the fender of another vehicle. Thankfully no one was hurt but the other car's fender looked bad. I was glad to have car insurance. The company took care of everything and there was minimal hassle on my part. I can't imagine not having car insurance. I still shudder at the memory.

3. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot impress on people enough how important investing in any kind of insurance, whether it is car, house, travel or personal belongings insurance, is absolutely vital. I have a very close friend who lost absolutely everything she owned in a house fire, and while her and her family were lucky to be alive their lack of insurance meant they had to literally start all over again. Here in the UK, car insurance isn't optional, if your car isn't insured the police can take it off you and fine you. If you don't collect your car within a certain amount of time, it is crushed - regardless of its age or condition.

4. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Of course it is important to have car insurance! In fact, it is illegal in the US to not have car insurance, you license will be suspended and your car will be impounded if you do not have valid insurance. Not to mention that even if it was optional, if you ever get in to an accident regardless if it is your fault or not you will definitely want to have insurance. Don't get the cheap insurance either, you want full coverage. And make sure that you have the rental car add on, if you don't have this and you are in an accident and your car has to be fixed you will not have a replacement and even cheap rental cars cost about $30/day.

5. hairreplace

hairreplaceNew Member

Threads:
    Your car insurance policy is the most important document in your vehicle. Millions of car owners across India trust Bajaj Allianz to insure their car. Along with comprehensive coverage against physical damage, bodily injury and cover againts third-party liability, your motor insurance brings to you confidence and peace of mind. All this is backed by our superior claims servicing capability and fast settlement record for vehicles insured by us.

6. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Car insurance isn't optional for a reason! Without it you are really and truly screwed if you get in an accident (and you will eventually) and if you hurt or kill someone (it is possible).

What's not mandatory is insuring your car against damages. That is you need personal liability insurance but you don't need to insure your vehicle itself.

I drive an old car. It's close to 20 years old. But it's not worth enough to insure it for damages. That means my insurance quotes are often lower than someone with my record and a brand new 30 000$ car.

7. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    You said it all. I also have a 15 years old car, and instead of the mandatory insurance I don't pay anything else, cause it wouldn't be worthy. I paid around 1,000$ for the car, and the insurance against damages would be somewhere over 500$, and with a low limit of payments for damages.

8. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    Financial responsibility is the goal behind having car insurance...if you are rich enough to cover the costs of any damage you may incur or cause due to your driving than by all means, don't get insurance. But the truth of the matter is that most of us do not have the resources to be able to cover the cost of replacing even a stop sign if we were to hit it....so having insurance is not only the law but a necessity.

9. alishamilan

alishamilanNew Member

Threads:
    Good post about car insurance. I search something like this.

10. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    It is good to have a good driving record with no tickets and or accidents, and also taking a Driving safety course gets you good discounts as well, I am in the mist of taking a drivers safety refresher course myself, and not only does it get you a good discount with your insurance company you can also learn some new things.

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    In Europe, as in the USA, car insurance is mandatory, not optional, and you could go to jail for not having it. You certainly would here in Spain, especially if you were involved in a fatal accident. The system here is excellent, although it's more expensive to insure a car fully comprehensive here than in the UK. You insure the car itself, rather than the driver, so anybody over 25 can drive your car, as long as they have a full driving licence and your permission to use the car. You can pay extra for younger drivers to use the car, say if you have teenagers at home.

In the UK, it's the driver who is insured, and it costs extra to add drivers to the policy. Regardless of the laws in your country, it makes sense to buy the most comprehensive insurance you can afford, especially if you have a new or very valuable vehicle.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, as someone else pointed out here in the United States having auto insurance is the law, so everyone is required to have it. Although, there have been situations that I know of where I wondered if this was true. I have a sister who was in an auto accident with a co-worker who was careened between two cars. Fortunately neither of them were hurt, but would you believe that neither of the other two drivers, who were in the wrong here had auto insurance or even a license on them. What makes it worse a cop was on the scene, and he didn't even ticket them for driving without insurance or a license. They were even allowed to go back into their cars and drive off. I kid you not this happened in the United States, frightening thought that the law wasn't upheld in this situation.

Anyway the reason I am sharing this story with you is because it doesn't matter how good a driver you are. When you get behind the wheel of a car its not just you that you have to worry about its the other drivers as well. You could be the most cautious driver out there and someone else could be responsible for the accident, and this person might not have insurance or even a license, then what do you do. Auto insurance of your own will help protect you from such mishaps.

13. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    Just remember, cheap doesn't equal good.
    And what is cheap for me, doesn't mean you'll have the same price.
    Your best bet is to shop around. Find out who will insure you for the best price and compare it to JD Power's rankings.