The never ending Facebook problem!

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 29, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Facebook...what is the real purpose of Facebook? well, to my good senses, based on what I've read about Facebook, and based on the type of person that Mark Zuckerberg is, the co-founder of Facebook, Facebook is a business, nothing more and nothing less regardless of all the additives that come with it, such as the Facebook Chat or Messenger (for keeping in touch with friends), Facebook video calling, for doing the same as Facebook Chat and the ability to post pictures, comments and notes. All the other communicative factors that are intrinsic to Facebook do not take away from the fact that Facebook is a business. And if Facebook was to become a person and do like some of us do, which is post pictures of ourselves, post comments and chat, Facebook would not be able to boast such huge profits.
    I am now onto the meat of the matter, which is to address the misuse of Facebook. How many of us here have been the victims of spouses (wives, boyfriends or girlfriends) causing domestic conflicts over matter that they post or matter that they see on Facebook? why is it that Facebook has become a tool of conflict in the household to the younger generation,is this generation that shortsighted? I must say, I experience relief to know that Zuckerberg, who is 30, and who created Facebook in his 20's never experienced these issues with his fiance', so why is the rest of the generation experiencing relationship problems over what is on Facebook?
    Allow me to clarify, why does it become a problem for men and women when someone messages their spouse about something harmless, meaning, of no threat to their relationship via Facebook, why is it that when a person asks for information relating business, or information for classwork, for those who are students,the other spouse snoops to find out about your business? Why is there such insecurity in today's generation? Furthermore, this problem has been ongoing for years, but is now heighten by the advent of Facebookthis is a sickness that needs a cure

#1Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, as you said, it has nothing to do with facebook.. facebook is just another way for people to lie cheat or show their insecurities. If someone cheats on you via Facebook or because of Facebook, they would have done it anyway... you were always with the wrong person. Facebook also makes it much easier for spouses to snoop on each other and again, you're with the wrong person if you feel the need to snoop on them or if you're the one being snooped on. Cheating or snooping via facebook is not the cause, it's a symptom. And a very very very smart business move lol.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a matter of mindset as to how to use facebook. I think it can be an incredible tool, if used correctly. For instance, I'm a musician and have probably booked 10-15 gigs over the last few years over connections I've made over Facebook. I've also encountered excellent learning groups that have helped me grow as a musician as well as a good political discussion forum. And of course, it's original intention of keeping in touch with friends who you don't live near is great.

I agree that people just need to relax with Facebook drama and learn not to obsess over it. But there's also a good side to Facebook that should be explored more in-depth.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't like using Facebook, but I wouldn't blame it for the world's problems. People have always been ignorant and reckless, and even though a tool like this could potentially emphasize or even enhance those characteristics, at the end of the day, it's still just a tool and it will always be up to people to keep themselves righteous. All tools have benefits and disadvantages, and if we live life blaming tools for the harm eh bring, then we should probably also consider giving up using knives or fire.

5. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    Insecurity in a relationship is not caused by Facebook- the problem may be amplified over something like facebook, but the insecurity is between the two people, and would probably still exist without facebook.

That having been said, I don't think it's fair to say that it's a generational problem- I know many adults in their 30s and 40s that have the same problems.

However, based upon what you said, my response would be this: If a girl messages my husband, I will not get angry. However, if a girl messages my husband and he tries to hide it, that would be a cause for concern for me. I could play devil's advocate and say "how do we know that the messages are innocent?" or even the age old statement "it always starts off innocent, no one intends to betray their spouse..." but the fact of the matter is that any relationship is going to have problems if the two parties don't trust each other. We should trust our significant other, regardless of who they talk to. On the same note, the person who is sending or recieving the messages should trust their significant other as well, and act in a manner that assures their SO that they have nothing to worry about.

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Insecurities is the first and foremost problems amongs ailing relationships, not Facebook. Facebook just happens to be the place where people turn to vent and/or cause drama amongst others. Another reason people turn to Facebook is to say whatever it is to someone and just log off. They don't want to deal with the person in public. Basically a cowardly way to end a relationship to be honest.

Facebook is what people make of it. Nothing more, nothing less. You choose the atmosphere 100%.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Facebook has become quite a commodity these days. I mean this is where we transact over our school-related conversations and online bull sessions. I also do think that this is the simplest way to get updated with the people around you like your friends, relatives and even your enemies, without them knowing about it. It's a good way of snooping around.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Facebook isn't really to blame if your lover cheats on you, it just makes it easier because they get to see a lot more people and it's easier for them to reach out as compared to getting that person's number in person. Facebook can increase problems in your home or relationship, but it's not really the source. The person is still to blame. That's why if ever I get in a relationship, I would ask the person not to use their real pics as avatars and or I would tell them to deactivate their account to lessen the "temptation".