The Real Deal Or Knock Offs?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by dashboardc33 • Apr 23, 2015.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I am curious as to how many of you would rather save some money and get the knock offs rather than the expensive brand name? Honestly, I think all you are paying for is the name logo on the item. I have bought some knock off uggs before and I think they are a lot more comfortable than the real uggs. The quality probably wasn't as good, but they did last two years which I was pretty happy about. If you can find the knock offs, would you buy them or would you prefer the real deal?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy big name products, because I feel they're way overpriced, and I'm on a budget. If I had all the money in the world, I probably would buy some of the more moderate designer brands (Tory Burch comes to mind), because I do like some of the styles/designs, but I still wouldn't buy the top of the line, because I'd still feel they were overpriced. That being said, I have a problem with counterfeit merchandise, so I wouldn't buy that, either. I'd rather just buy what I like, if I can get it on sale at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc., if it's designer, or simply buy items from mainline companies that are still well made, but are less expensive.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy designer anything unless I find it in very good condition in a thrift store. Even then I don't tend to look specifically for designer labels, as I'm really not that fond of or even knowledgeable about designer fashions. I just look for something I like in my price range that seems reasonably well made, buy it and be happy.
    Well made, however, seems to mean something different these days. Sometimes I find vintage things in good shape are better than a lot of the new things today.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy either expensive branded stuffs or their knock-offs. I always go for clothes that is very affordable, and at the same time, have great quality such as the brands Forever 21, H&M, and Mango.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I like mid-priced brands that reflect my personal style like Liz Claiborne. Every so often, I'm tempted by a high-priced brand (like Gucci) but I would feel silly carrying around a $700+ purse. When I was a kid, I used to buy knock-off bags and one day, my aunt called me out on it. Since then, I keep it simple.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Knock offs are an industry in themselves, but why buy them when you know the quality is poor? I used to buy them when I was younger, but now with outlet discounts you can get the real thing at a huge discount if you look.

Fake goods are illegal and if you get go through an airport with a fake bag, they can actually confiscate it. They undermine the brand name and reputation, but you can tell a good fake from a bad one.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate fakes because they're easy to spot, and have this tacky vibe about them. I'm also not about "flashing" that I have designer gear to the point where I have to fake it, like some people here.

I just buy what I like, not necessarily because it's designer, like "label bashers" do. I wouldn't ever pay full price on designer stuff I really like, I couldn't afford it, and i'm not willing to punish myself saving for God knows how long just to get that Louis Vuitton bag (those don't appeal to me BTW lol). But equally, I don't like fake versions. My main thing is, do I like it, does it fit nicely and is it affordable.

Like Thea says, there are countless discount outlets, both online and on the high street that I'd rather buy designer goods from, if something catches my eye. I have a few online retailers that I buy my clothes and accessories from, including designer gear at reasonable prices.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ Lushlala, some knock offs look exactly like the real McCoy. I've seen a few Chinese produced, which do a perfect "copy job."

The only difference between the two is that the quality [for them to be cheaper] has to be relatively poor compared to the real thing. I think for someone who is into fashion and wants to make it appear like they're decked in expensive designer clothes, shoes, etc, knock-offs can give them that "feel. "

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get that @Denis Hard@Denis Hard. But like you said, the quality is usually not up to standard. -and also, if I can get authentic stuff from an outlet store, at heavily discounted prices, I'd rather do that. Anyway, where do people actually go for these "knock offs"? Is there no risk of getting in trouble with the police? I ask because I've heard of these types of goods being confiscated by the police LOL Not something I'd want to get embroiled in!

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's an area of town up in Houston that is known for having great deals, as well as sometimes counterfeit goods. People go there for knock offs, but every so often, they're busted, and the venues are shut down. It's not worth it to me, especially for fakes. But, I also don't support the stolen goods that people sell on Craigslist, Facebook, etc.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The stores that are caught selling them will also get a fine besides losing all the fake goods they bought. The problem is that is a market, for people that want a slice of designer even if they know it's fake. That's one of the issues, people yearn for it as a status symbol.

If you buy something that is stolen, again that can be taken off you. It's not worth the risk of buying potentially stolen goods.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They can get it from the black market. Every city has a black market. Of course there's some danger involved but since you'll always "find someone who knows someone who knows someone," if you want to get your hands on knock offs you'll get them through those contacts.

And there's Craiglist . . .

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a brand conscious person so it's normal for me not to buy branded clothes. In fact, most of my purchases are the real deal but they come from independent boutiques or less known designers or clothing labels. For me, as long as it fits, has a unique design and is of good quality, I'd buy it. I am not in the habit of buying knock-offs or imitations. I feel like I'll lose my integrity if I buy a pirated product.

14. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    The real deal. Y not get something else that's original and cheaper than a fake that's just going to make you look bad

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Not with food, but with clothes I would. I think with electronics I wouldn't either, because you can always tell the sever reduction in quality. I had that problem with a knock-off webcam recently which only cost £5, but quality was absurdly poor.

16. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I’m a sucker for knock offs because I too believe that sometimes we pay for the brand and not the item itself when it comes to the real deal. You can score really knock offs that is if you’re really careful. There are loads of knock offs out there that promise a lot of things and you excitedly buy it thinking you’ve hit the jackpot only to find out a few weeks later that it’s already broken. I bought some knock off boots a couple of months ago and it turned out pretty nice at first but my feet were aching the last time I wore it (which was two months ago). I think knock offs are great only if you find the really good ones. But I think there are times that we should splurge a bit and buy the real ones because they really are the ‘real deal’.