The "Right" to Marriage?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by mythman • Jun 9, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    First, let's be clear about what we're discussing. Whatever the involved couple's "feelings" may be, I want to know 'what someone else's marriage is doing for me': taking each of the marrying-people OFF of the dating-market, helping provide a good example for future children to follow, providing a steady foundation for more future-children.

So, quid pro quo: they do that for the people of their community, and THEREFORE get the perks afforded to married couples (possible tax-refunds, visitation in hospitals/prisons, inheritance from early-deaths ... any others?)

Gays-&-lesbians DON'T offer the 2nd & 3rd quid, and so should not be given the corresponding quo; right?

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Right for Marriage should be always given to anyone, and this includes same sex marriage. Marriage is not just for having kids. It's about for couples to be one, including the rights for the property and for everything else. So, for real equality, right for it must be available to everyone, of whatever gender!

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why you think that someone's marriage should benefit you in some way. Not being argumentative, but curious.

I believe that marriage is a right that all people should have. Stable families benefit society in general.

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure how you cam up with your list of what marriage should be but I will say that I don't think marriage is all about children. There are gay couples with children and I suspect they put in an extra effort on items two and three because people think they can't. Being a married man and woman doesn't automatically make you a good role model for children and we are constantly seeing examples and results of poor parenting.

I think marriage is about a division of labour. Each party brings something to the marriage and contributes throughout the joining. If, after fifty years, one partner passes away, why should the other not get equal benefits under the law? Children play no part in the legal benefits of marriage (those are child credits and are separate). Should a spouse be denied a pension because of gender? Personally, I think not. As long as the tax rates are the same for gay and straight people, the benefits should be equal.

I should point out that I live in an area where gay marriage is legal and I think it is mostly accepted.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if "marriage" is a step on your 'pursuit of happiness' then you have a right to it (so long as it doesn't get in the way of anyone else's 'pursuit of happiness')

'That it benefits me in some way' is the reason the government certifies it & grants its partners benefits. Those benefits come out of Me the People's taxes, so Me the People want a benefit in return.

And you're right that stable families benefit society. But humans are sheep ... Why should we get extra feed for mating-without-(even the slightest chance for)-offspring?

6. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Everyone calm down.

First of all, about the children thing, if lawmakers and other people/agencies would just allow it, same sex marriages could have children either by adopting those children given up by those who cannot or will not take care of them or fostering them or, for females who want to, getting artificially inseminated or having relations with someone willing to give them a helping hand.

Some straight/gay/whatever couples may choose not to have children, or have them by birth, and that's okay too.

Right now, there are too many babies, little ones and young teens who need a good loving home but are either getting nothing at all, a system that may be too busy to care for them all or quite possibly being neglected and/or abused by those who are supposed to care for them and may be just using them to get a little extra money. These are kids that should be treated well and come into the world trusting us as a people to do that but are getting psychological issues because of these things. It's truly a social injustice to them. They didn't ask to be born, you know.

Second of all, I have no idea about the laws regarding benefits for married peoples and how that may eat into benefits for anyone else, so I'm not even going to get into that. However, I will say that I'm all for marriage for whoever wants it and everyone who marries should get rights accordingly.
    Perhaps the part about children should be treated as a separate thing for couples/singles who decide to raise a child. I don't know. Still, inheritance should definitely be for all of them. If one half dies, the other half should get something. And if one of them is sick or something, the other one should be able to visit them where they are being treated.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that marriage is not all about children; I'm just thinking more in the 'what does the government GET from it,' and that includes ME (and everyone OUTSIDE of the married-couple's family).

I'm running off of an old thinking about marriage---where one party provides, & the other 'keeps' (or 'manages'). One thinks of himself as 'the owner,' leaving the other to think of herself as 'the s- ... -ervant.' Maybe things are different now, so "marriage" has been destroyed and -is a 'new thing' (much like Christians say Jesus Christ was tortured-to-death & then resurrected 'a little different').

So we should celebrate the irresponsible ones (who go off & forsake any possible future) by setting them equal to the ones who BUILD the future?

What about 'unemployable me'? The best I can do is BE a 'Mr. Mom'---taking care of the house & children while my wife goes out & 'wins the bread' :(

Either that, or I could go out & TAKE a wife ... that's it! "Equal Rights for Rap- ... -ists!" :p:confused:

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You do know there is an awful lot more to life than having children, don't you? You are basically stating that gay marriage is worthless to society as it does not produce children. So what about heterosexual marriages where infertility is an issue? Are these marriages invalid too? What about heterosexual marriages where neither party wants children?

The only thing the government gets from people having children is more pressure on their budget.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think whether it is legally recognized or not, people can still have gay relationships. Before it was legalized, gay couples co-habited. So the question whether gay marriage is right or wrong would get those whose sexual orientation is different to blend in with the rest. They'd still live together, do whatever else they want to and no one would find out. So it's much better to allow them to live as they please without having to sneak around trying to hide who they truly are. That's why I support the legalization of Same Sex Marriages everywhere in the world. It doesn't change anything. Those who want to marry to procreate still get to multiply [gay marriage doesn't change that, does it?]. Those who don't . . .

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gay couples are taking care of the children all those perfect straight people tossed aside. (not to say all were tossed aside, but give me a break). Marriage, just like everything else, evolved. You can't expect things to stay the same.. but hey, if you want that, good luck in your search. You obviously have issues with gay people, but what makes them different from you? What they do in the bedroom. Why does it matter to you what someone does in the bedroom? This also means what straight people do in the bedroom matters to you and apparently, this is what makes a real marriage. I know my family doesn't function any more or less on whether I had a good night in the sack and what went where lol. I know gay couples who are inspirational parents.. apparently their lady parts matching hasn't made any of their kids spontaneously combust or even become gay themselves.. it's not catching you know. I really would like to know what all the fixation on sex is when it comes to people refusing to accept something completely natural. Yes.. *natural*. Your god doesn't make mistakes, remember? Other than what they're body parts are doing, which is nobody's business but their's, they are exactly the same as everyone else and deserves to make a marriage work or fail just like the rest of us. They change nothing but how many orphans are adopted.. how is that a bad thing?

I'm sorry, but the only marriages that affect you are the bad ones right next door.. gay or straight. And your own if it ever happens for you.. but hey, if you want everyone's lives to be your business, you better inform everyone of your preferences in the bedroom first. If you don't do things the same way as me, your marriage should be null and void.

11. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Whether the couple is gay or straight - being in a steady, happy and loving relationship is a great example for any child to follow. Marriage rights should not be based on benefit to society. That is insane.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Society in general doesn't benefit from anyone's else's marriage directly aside from adding to the population, although it was taught to us that the family is the basic unit of society. And even if the 3rd sex can't produce any children, it would be discriminatory to ban them from getting married. They deserve to have the perks of marriage too.