The Topsy Turvy

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by dconklin • Apr 2, 2012.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    They used to advertise this all the time. I haven't seen it on TV lately but I am sure they will bring the commercials back out with the warm weather coming. This is an upside down planter for tomatoes, peppers and a few other plants. I have one that I bought at Walmart and it really does work well for tomatoes! They do have them at Walmart and stores like Home Depot and Lowes, so you do not need to call to order them unless there is a big special for calling.

I used mine 2 years in a row now and loved it.

2. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I was JUST talking about this very item a few minutes ago. I'm looking to be on the money saving side and grow a few of my own things. So this is perfect.

3. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    How much can you save by owning one of these? What kind of capacity does it have? When not it use whats the best way to store it?

4. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I am so glad to hear that you love your Topsy Turvy! I live in an apartment complex so I literally see them hanging all over in the warmer months. I was skeptical because I have never seen a decent looking tomato on one of them! I am beginning to think that perhaps people just pick the nice tomatoes before I get a chance to see them :)

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    It is perfect for if you want to grow your own tomatoes but don't have a garden. If you have a garden with plenty of room, you won't save money as you could just plant in your garden. I first got mine to grow my tomatoes on a deck.

Each one holds 1 plant and it grows upside down. When not in use, you can just store in garage, shed or closet if need be.

6. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    It worked great for me! One of my neighbors had one too that did quite well. It does take sun-plenty of sun is best. I don't know if it helps that I am in Jersey which is known for the tomatoes.

7. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I think I may try one this year on my balcony. I get mostly afternoon sun, but the area is bright in general. Wish me luck!

8. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I saw this mentioned on another forum I am a member of. For anyone who hasn't seen it: topsy_turvy_tomato_planter_.

9. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Thank you! I currentl live in a condominium and I think this would be great! Can you grow other things besides tomatoes in this? That would be cool:cool:

10. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have only done tomatoes, but there are a few different topsy turvys. I think there are slight differences for different plants, but I am not positive as I only have the tomato one. I know they sell it for peppers and strawberries too. Not sure how well the strawberries would do, but I seem to remember seeing it in the store. I know there are a few plants you can grow in it.

11. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Mine was ruined almost immediately. But the truth is that I haven't heard any other complains. Maybe it was just luck. I didn't have the time to replace it then, but since you all think it is great, I might get another... might :)

12. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    What happened that it was ruined almost immediately? I have not heard of any complaints, but I am sure there is also always the possibility of defective products. I like my garden better, but I think it is a great tool for using it on a deck or for somebody with little space. I only like my garden more because I can plant many different plants all together.

13. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you are right. I don't know what was wrong, it must have had a defect because the bottom (well top) kept opening. I will get another one though and I think I will put chilli peppers this time. They are lighter and they make the place very colorful. Thanks

14. LisaC

LisaCNew Member

Threads:
    I am not a big tomato eater, however I have seen the Strawberry ones around here & after seeing how everyone is happy with their Tomato's I think this year I am going to try out the Topsy Turvy for Strawberries. I will come back & let everyone know how I made out!

15. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I'd like to try the strawberry or bell pepper one. We never get fresh tomatoes, but I do put bell peppers in some things like chili. I could always dice it and freeze it, peppers keep really well. Thanks for the review! I'm terrible at growing things but this seems like it's too simple to mess up.

16. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Topsy Turvy Strawberry: Allstar-Marketing-TT041112-rw-208278-317375.

Topsy Turvy Hot Pepper 51ouuMjkOjL._SL500_AA300_.

Topsy Turvy Tomato topsy-turvy-tomato_5.

I think I want to try all 3!

17. cashorcheck

cashorcheckNew Member

Threads:
    I have on in my backyard but have no good way to hang it in full sun. When I loaded it up with soil it weighed about 80 pounds and found that I really needed something sturdy as I lacked a proper overhang that many decks or patios have. After some brainstorming I have decided to attach a ground based shepherds hook next to a fence post and attach it. Wish me luck; so if you buy one make sure you can hang that heavy bag somewhere.

18. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    My tomatoes do well in the ground and in the Topsy Turvy, but my strawberries have not been very productive in the ground. I may try the one for strawberries this year with new plants to see how well they do there. My strawberries are the only thing that hasn't done well in the ground, the plants are healthy just not producing. I am not sure what happened there.

19. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    Glad to know it works! We had actually purchased one that was on sale for $2.50. We are going to hang it on our porch look forward to having fresh tomatoes. I want to purchase the other variations as well that they have.

20. MrsFlipFlops

MrsFlipFlopsNew Member

Threads:
    How difficult is it to use the next year? I purchased one a few years back and used it once. Getting the plant inside, with the dirt just right, was a real challenge. I threw the thing away because I just started thinking about how much of a mess it would make if I tried to use it the following year. Has anyone used it twice and does it make a huge mess?