The Ugly Truth About Outlet Stores

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Nov 10, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stumbled into an article that was published last year and decided to create this post since the information contained could interest everyone who buys anything from outlet stores.

According to the article most people shop at outlet stores believing that they are getting great deals but they actually aren't.

Why?

Inferior quality . . . but you can hardly tell a difference so what they sell can't be all that bad and you'll be saving money anyway.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had been to Hongkong the other weekend. The condo unit of my nephew where we stayed in was situated beside a mini mall that has the Outlet - so many brands have shops there. When I went there for my shopping, I found that prices are not really cheap. In fact, I was nearly turned off until I found one store with the buy 1 take one free deal. I bought a leather handbag and nothing more.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A good shopper knows a real outlet store, from one that merely has the title. I have been to some that are the same price as the normal stores, most chains just want a presence because they know people will shop there because the parking is free.

There are some good outlet places, but you have to find them and also go at the right time. I have had some excellent buys, and other times I have left the mall with nothing. You have to know whether a saving is genuine. Most people go as a day out, because the parking is easy and there is a food court for the kids. For some it's convenience, with all places they want nearby, so it's worth it.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    So very true - many of those fantastic designer bargains seen at Outlet Stores - may well not be quite the bargain they appear to be - especially as recent findings are that many of the items sold in these stores aren’t always just seconds or those that didn't sell at the regular stores - but more often than not - B-grade lines made specifically with inferior quality materials - by the manufacturer - for sale exclusively in their Outlet Stores.

5. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that too. But I feel that even if you aren't getting a GREAT deal, it is still a convenient, easy and (sometimes) fun place to get all your shopping done. So you could possibly save money because you aren't driving everywhere. Though I guess if you shopped online, it would be better...hmmm...

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Outlet stores are my favorite stores to shop at and I am aware of the quality of the items there but it doesn't matter that much since I'm not paying much for it either so to me it's a fair trade. Additionally, I also come across some branded items and it doesn't matter to me either if they turn out to have a few defects as I always carefully inspect the items in the store before purchasing so I know what I am getting into, and for me it's still a much better option than buying branded items at second hand since this way I get them unused at the same price. Probably some outlet stores are more deceitful but thankfully the ones we have here are just straight up with their image of having cheap products and trying to get rid of them as fast as possible.

7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Unless you have a trained eye or know how to sew clothes, I don't think you'll notice the difference in quality unless it's too obvious. What matters most to me is can I afford it and does it look good on me. Just because something is made by a famous designer doesn't mean that it was designed for you. Besides, no matter where you shop, if a person doesn't like what you are wearing then that's their problem. So let the outlet shopping begin.