The use of multivitamins

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Magic Pixel • Aug 4, 2012.

1. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    Taking multivitamins is a hot debate in medical science. Recent reserach has revealed that taking multivitamins is counterproductive and may cause cancer in the long run. I am curious to know what others think of this :)

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I don't buy that. The medical industry is a just one huge profit monster...and they do not want healthy people, otherwise where do they get their money from? They will only be believable when they do not profit financially from illness...and actually start finding some cures for bugs that are probably engineered in some lab in Switzerland somewhere.

So, those are my thoughts. Mind you...there are crappy supplements out there, but prescription drugs which doctors happily supply KILL far more people than freeging supplements. The medicine monster is getting scared as their profits are falling, I sincerely feel.

Eating high quality food is the answer to health...well, according to the Father of Medicine, Hippocrates - i tend to agree with that.

3. Spongecake

SpongecakeNew Member

Threads:
    I agree that eating food that's high in a variety of essential nutrients is the key component to health, but supplements serve the purpose of filling in the gaps. They are not meant to replace your daily value of vitamins, but to assist in making sure you reach your optimum potential. In order to understand headway in medical research, people need to read medical research. Making scare-based assumptions does nothing.

4. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Spongecake, you are absolutely right. I take a multivitamin 2-3 times a week. I think some people may get the wrong idea when taking vitamins because they think its okay to skip important meals or they don't have to eat something fruits and vegetables because the vitamin has the same amount of nutrients. I never skip a meal and I try to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I have always believed that if you eat a varied, healthy diet, you will obtain all the nutrients you need from it. Only people with vitamin absorption problems or specific conditions that require more than the normal amount of specific vitamins need to take supplements. I take a fish oil supplement on the recommendation of my doctor, as I have RA and Lupus, but that's all I take.

I don't buy that taking too many vitamins may cause cancer, though. I don't think there's been enough long term research to prove anything either way. Taking vitamins as a matter of course is a fairly recent behavioural pattern, so it's too soon to know.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take a multivitamin daily. It really takes more than one research study to provide any data to draw a good conclusion. I try to eat most of my vitamins in my food, but still take a multivitamin.

7. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of such a thing. Where did you hear this from? I don't understand how making sure you have enough vitamins daily would be counterproductive. I take a generic multivitamin daily.

8. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly my thoughts!
    I don't believe multi-vitamins are bad for us and cause cancer - we don't have any concrete proof of that.

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    May cause cancer? I think that information is stupid. I prefer getting my vitamins and minerals from fruit and vegetables rather than a tablet. Anything can be bad for you if you do it too much, even the good stuff. It's all about moderation and veriety.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Be very careful about the statement that the medical industry is making. They want you to be sick so they can continue to make money of off you. That is the most insane statement I have ever heard. They figure if you get well, they will lose money and won't have people like us to fatten there wallet. So pay them no attention and keep doing what you are doing to keep yourself and your family healthy.