The worse product you purchased because of the advertising ?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Pocs • Aug 10, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Kaboom... What a joke. I bought it years ago when it was just avaiable on tv. It did not work better than the other products on the market. For the money you would think it would have been at least a little better, in a perfect world. Just as good as does not warrant paying shipping and handling. Now that it is on the shelves at the local markets, I still dont but it, even if it's a tad cheaper.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought Hormel's Sriracha chicken deli meat thinking that it would have the flavor of Sriracha. It does not. It's bland, thin deli chicken doused in red food coloring and salt.
    I don't usually complain but this time I was so angry that I sent them an email and they sent me a $4 coupon and an apology.

Sriracha has chilies, garlic and sugar, so I don't know how they thought they could get away with putting celery salt on some chicken and calling it Sriracha.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Eggies - Please, don't buy this product.

Since I eat boiled eggs a lot, I bought Eggies thinking this product would save me time. The commercial made its use seem so easy. Then, after trying Eggies, I realized I spent more time popping my eggs out of the mini containers than peeling a shell. Also, the outer layer was tough, different. Wish I could get my money back.

eggies-01.

4. Moriarty

MoriartyNew Member

Threads:
    There's a video game accessory for the Xbox called the Kinect. That would have to be one of the worst purchases I ever made. It's supposed to detect body movements and allow you to control the game by just moving around instead of using a controller. It sounds great if only the damn thing worked even a little bit. To date there really hasn't been a decent game for it because it just can't detect body motions with the sensitivity necessary to control it's ambitious games. I still can't believe they sold the thing in the condition that they did, it was basically a beta test that they decided to get the public to pay for. Not cool.

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    The soda stream was one the worst things I ever bought. The whole thing was a joke and the flavors were totally disgusting. I tried every one and I will do better just going and by a regular soda than to drink those things. It tasted funny and syrupy. Having to buy the replacements flavors are expensive too.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It didn't cost me that much money, but what I regretted buying was this portable laptop table. Supposedly it's a small foldable table equipped with a mousepad and a laptop cooler with metal legs and a very sturdy companion if you want to be able to do some computing work on the fly, but it turns out it's just a flimsy hunk of plastic with equally flimsy legs. Another disappointment I bought was a Apple's 6th Generation iPod Nano. When I first saw it in Apple's website I was stoked, so I bought the damn thing for an awfully large amount of money and after 2 days of use I just lost interest. Biggest waste of money in my part.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of Kaboom cleaning products either, particularly because they smell and stain your rags. But the one thing they did do a good job at was removing soap scum from around your tubs. Some of the other soap scum removers stunk even worse, and only worked about half as good.

One of the more recent products I was disappointed with was the Insta Hang. In all fairness, I bought mine at a store in person and should have known better after looking at it. The device and the nails it comes with are much smaller than how they appear on TV. The nails themselves are so short and flimsy that you really cannot hang much with them. I couldn't hang any of my wall clocks with them for example, because they weren't long enough to reach the hooks which were indented into the backs of the clocks. The other problem was the device was so cheap and flimsy that the nails would regularly get stuck in it.

8. foodietr

foodietrNew Member

Threads:
    One of the worst products that I have purchased because of advertising is Micromax Karbonn HD phone. It was advertised with Wolverine and I think it is a really bad phone which does not do what it advertises. I also feel that bringing in Hugh Jackman to campaign for a cell phone brand is ridiculous.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some more recent stinkers...

The GFS brand pasta sauce and stuffed shells. I like to hit up GFS (Gordon Food Service) from time to time for a few of their bulk items. For the most part I've been pleased, but some of their products are really really bad though. Recently they had a special on their large cans of Marinara sauce, and they had their bags of cheese stuffed pasta shells on sale too, so I grabbed both thinking it would be an easy dinner, and I would have plenty of leftovers as well. The sauce is hideous. It has chunks of what appear to be peppers and onions in it, but it's the overall flavor and thickness of it which is really off putting. It tastes more like a tomato soup than a sauce. Plus it looks like they put some sort of thickener in it to make it look more like a richer tomato sauce, when it really isn't. I'm guessing it was either corn starch or wheat flour. The actual tomato flavor was very weak, and overall it was more like a tomato "gravy" if that makes any sense.

The stuffed shells didn't fare well at all either. The cheese filling was horrible. It was really gluey, much like when you over mix some mashed potatoes and they start to take on a shine and a texture similar to wallpaper paste. The cheese filling also tasted like it had some sort of extenders or fillers in it too.

Avoid both of these, for future reference.

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't regret it though but i bought from ebay was when i was too excited to try out linux system and so I tried buying a CD online only to find out I can actually download it for free. Worse is that I did wait for the cd for 3 days when I can download it in an hour :D

11. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Oh! Same here! I was thinking Kaboom would be some sort of wonder cleaner and like you mentioned it didn't seem to work any better than any other cleaner plus I was thinking it would be better with fumes and it smelled so bad! Using that was what helped send me over the edge to start using more natural products for cleaning. Now, I just use baking soda as a cleanser and personally I find that it works better without all the fumes.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the heads up... I was thinking of buying this product and glad I won't be wasting my money or time! Alot of these made for TV commercials make the product look so easy to use and I've found that they can be hit or miss.

13. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have been with family members who have bought a form of "Kale" chips because of advertising and both were disgusting. I really like super foods so I am not finicky on taste but this was exactly like cat food and it was so hydrated I just don't see what could be all that healthy about it. The bags were filled with air so you only got about a 1/2 cup of food by the time you were done with it. The packaging was appealing though! I would prefer to eat the cat food now that I think about it.

14. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I bought the Total Gym, it's the worst workout machine ever. I saw it on TV, I thought this is a great workout, actually it's the worst. You'll get more results from push ups or from a cheap pull up bar.

15. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Not sure how bad the product is because I never fully went through with the purchase, but there was some Night Hawk night-driving glasses my mother wanted so I made the purchase. They had all sorts of shady fees added on and no proper confirmation screen with all the purchase details listed. I'm fairly adept at purchasing online and reading the fine print, but additional charges came out of nowhere. I truthfully believe the company is trying to target seniors that either wouldn't notice or wouldn't know the proper means of disputing the charge.

In my case I had to cancel the order and during the cancellation process they kept taking $5 off if I didn't cancel, until it eventually got to the original price I was expecting it to be. However, at this point I just didn't want to support these clowns.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Well I don't know it is works or not because my father has only used it once, but it was a total waste of money so I'll mention it here. My father wanted a product that you place your feet on and it helps with the circulation in the legs, it costs over $400 and my dad used it once for about a minute and because it didn't work immediately he packed it away and it has been stored in his bedroom for the last five years.