Theater candy is to much money

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Libragirl67 • Mar 31, 2013.

1. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    I am one of those people who sneaks in our own candy and treats at the movie theater. If we were to buy a few drinks and popcorn at the theater we would end up paying more then what we actually paid for the tickets. Who else does this? Or do you think it is wrong to bring your own snacks in?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do seek snacks into the theater. I don't eat movie theater food. My brother told me horror stories about movie popcorn. Ever since then, I bring my own snacks if I think I will get hungry during the movie. But my first choice is to eat before going to the movies.

3. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    you are so right about that the prices for their sodas and snacks are so expensive. We take our own snacks too. We sometimes buy a large soda there and that is it , we take our own snacks to eat and I am sure it is wrong and who knows if you get caught they might make you leave or whatever, but I still sneak it in because the prices of their stuff is way too high.:D

4. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather eat nothing than buy any snacks at the theater.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are right, it is the same over here in the UK. The price of popcorn, sweets and drinks etc at the cinema is extortionate. My friends and I buy our snacks at the supermarket and sneak them in. They can't search you so it's easy to get away with.

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    If I do go to the movies, which is very rare... I'll sneak a snack in. NO WAY am I paying those prices. It's ridiculous. Robbery really.

7. JPDunlap

JPDunlapNew Member

Threads:
    I've thought about buying a load of candy, smuggling it into a theater, and selling it for just the original price I bought it for added with the unit price. Do the people a service. I might wear a trench coat, I'm not entirely sure yet. :D

8. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    I've just developed the habit of eating a meal before going to the movies so I won't have to buy their popcorn and soda at such an inflated price. The movie tickets already cost more than what I'd like to pay. I do sneak in my own food, though, but it'll usually be a few snack-size candies or chocolate with wrappers that won't cause too much noise when I open them.

9. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    I honestly bring my own snacks, as most people that I know, do. In fact, the next time you go to the movies check out who you see on the lines for concession stands, couples! A guy takes his new girl out on a first date, he will appear cheap if he stops at the local supermarket and asks her to smuggle snacks in her purse. It is a shame what they attempt to charge for a box of candy, which is why sites like Netflix and On demand are so popular.

#9Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I either take my own snacks or just don't have anything at all while I'm there.

I have, on occasion, bought the popcorn. It's a rare treat and while it's expensive and really bad for me, I don't mind occasionally splurging on it considering I can't sneak it in anyway and I only go to the movies once every couple years.

11. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    The snacks is where they make the money. I knew someone who worked at a theater, and what they charge for a movie, if it sells out is pretty much what it costs them for the 'rights to show the movie.' The money is at the concession stand, which is why it's so expensive.

That being said, I generally sneak my own candy in.

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's wrong I mean I don't get it there tickets are high as it is but to top it off they charge even higher prices for their snacks I take my own snacks and drinks and am proud of it I don't have that type of money to pay 10 bucks for a snack and drink just for one person much less more

13. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think its wrong at all. I don't advise being obvious about it but I think its acceptable. I do think you shouldn't bring in anytime too noisy or distracting though. But as long as it doesn't bother the people around you, I think it is ok to bring in whatever you want. The food prices at theaters are so high. I usually don't snack during the movie though so I just avoid buying any junk altogether.

14. Khronic

KhronicNew Member

Threads:
    Whenever I go to the movies I usually try to have dinner before I go. Simply because the food that they have available is just downright gross. The popcorn is just awful, the soda is disgustingly overpriced and the candy is too little for too much. If I really want food in the movie theater I go to the nearby supermarket and just get a bag of fun size candy. It's pretty easy to sneak it in and I don't feel any guilt by doing it. I see people eating hot dogs, nachos and other horrifying foods at the movie theater and it's mind boggling. I came here to watch a movie, not eat something that looks like it was made by a 5 year old, and is also more expensive than the movie ticket itself.

15. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    The prices of sweets and snacks in the theater are really ridiculous... :confused: The ticket price is much more expensive with that sweet added, I think that's a purchase that isn't justified. Of course: the cinema's popcorn has a special flavor, a charm tied to our infancy but we have to assume that is the reality and in most theaters there are absurd prices. Likewise, I believe that the prohibition of entry to non-food place is arbitrary and offends common sense.

16. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    Oh my goodness, this made me laugh. Would you like a business partner? Considering how people feel about movie candy prices, this just might work. Yes indeed you are doing the world a great service. But ofcoarse, you will have to wear a trenchcoat. :cool:

17. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I only go to the cinema once in a blue moon, so i always get a large drink. I'm more of a drinking person than a eating one, apart from some special moments i don't drink much sodas regularly, so it's a change of pace for me.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is bringing your own food in the theater prohibited in the US? Over here in the Philippines, it's perfectly ok to bring food that was bought elsewhere like in the supermarket and you eat them inside the theather. That's what I do when I used to go to the movies, and it's really cheaper that way. Now I think that we are lucky that the malls don't impose that rule over here.

19. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    It's not a law or anything in the US. It's really up to the individual theater, but I would say that most theaters prohibit outside food or drink. Some theaters will allow you to bring things that they can't sell, such as fancy coffees and what not.

20. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely too much! Those same boxes are sold at the dollar store. It's a total rip off, if I don't bring anything with me I won't just eat anything. The tickets have also gone up in my city to $10.50