Theatres, Television, both or neither?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by tinyfang • Jun 18, 2014.

?

Where do you watch movies/shows?

1. Movie theatre

20.0%
  2. Television at home

40.0%
  3. Both theatre and television

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mix of theatre, television and computer

40.0%
  5. Only on computer and/or smartphone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't watch movies/shows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    With the digital age extending every aspect of people's lives, the influx of smartphones having the ability to watch streaming movies, play MMO games and keep in touch with entire collectives of friends and family, many of you have moved beyond the traditional small and big screens. However, there are still a large portion of the world that stick with lining up at the ticket booth, buying their snacks and frustratingly look for good seats. There are also the few that prefer to rent a movie from a rental store and physically bring it home to watch on the television.

The question is: have you evolved to watch all your movies and shows on your smartphone and computers are are you still watching movies and shows on the big screen and small screen? What is your reasoning behind your choice?

2. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Eh, I rarely go to the theatre unless I have a 2:1 promo and there's a must-see. Last movie I saw with the Mrs. was the 2nd Hunger Games as she's a huge fan.
    As for the TV, we don't even have one. The cost of cable and overall lack of appealing programming, at least to us, really helps us save a few bucks. Plus, we can always watch things online and enjoy not only a better selection, but also less commercials.

So in the end, really just computer. However, we're thinking about getting a projector just so we can make our own mock theatre at home. We'll see how that goes, haha.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to stream movies online. I think that cable TV provides more interesting stories than most of what Hollywood is making for the movies. I only stream to my smartphone in a pinch. I don't have the NetFlix app on my phone, but only use it for when I'm taking a long trip or have a long wait.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I watch where ever I can, and don't really have much of a preference unless it's a movie that I really like, in which case I'd much prefer to watch it in a cinema. I honestly prefer to just watch at home as much as possible, though, because I can do whatever I want at home while watching a movie such as pausing the movie or even checking my smartphone or tablet when the movie gets a bit slow. I'd never be able to do that at a theater because I'd be too conscious about distracting other people from the movie experience they paid for.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me I don't have any choices, at least as far going to the theater is concerned. I live far out in the backwoods so I have to wait for the movies to come out on DVD before I get them and even then I wait just a little longer so I can get used DVDs cheap.

As for TV shows, I watch them on streaming sites. It's a lot cheaper than paying for cable TV.

6. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    It depends on the availability and funds required. I like to watch movies at home on my TV or in the movie theatre most. But, if I have to, I'll watch on my computer. It's more fun to be able to relax and watch them as I please and the set up I have with my computer doesn't allow for that. That's why I am a patron of my local library so often.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to theaters because it's too expensice unless someone if paying for it. I prefer to rent or buy the movies I really like. Even though they cost more but I get to own them and re-watch them as many times as I like. Most of all, I just don't like watching movies at cinemas because I find it too restricting.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a TV so I am never able to watch television at home. I only do when I am at my friends' place. It happens rarely though because I like staying at home. When I am not watching the movie at the cinema. I watch it on my laptop. I am happy with resolution of my laptop so I get to watch a pretty good quality movies. The output is really excellent much more if what I am watching a blu-ray copy of a movie.

9. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I picked TV only, but I should clarify that I mean streaming at home. The cost of a movie ticket is way too high these days, and with how quickly these films see a home release it almost makes the whole enterprise not worth it at all. I don't have cable, either, because that's a money pit. I just stick with my OTA antenna (free HD!) and my Roku box. You'd be surprised how many free, legal, and cheap options are available for the cord cutter. If there's something on cable I just have to watch, I can either buy it on Amazon and stream or borrow a log in for HBO GO, Watch ESPN and the like.