Thief Review

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Brad • Mar 1, 2014.

1. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    Many may disagree as this is my opinion, but this is what I thought about the game.

Okay, this game was meant to be the next big 'Stealth' game, but is it really? After picking it up for $50 yesterday, I had huge expectations for the game and expected to see a lot of action, stealth, great AI and pretty good mechanics.

Not only was I shocked by the amount of bugs, I was also disappointed by the AI and mechanics. Lets start with the AI. The AI is shocking, I have seen guards look at me multiple times and then just pretend to not see me. If this was in a real situation, a guard would clearly see my shadow, but since the games AI is poorly coded, the guards are just thinking they saw something but don't actually do anything about it.

The games concept is to steal, and that is something which is performed a lot throughout the game. The stealing is well done, but with guards who are pretty much not able to see you, it's pointless as you could just rob everything and the guards won't see you. Even if you make the candles go out, the guards act normal about it and basically pretend that nothing has happened so that means that stealth is almost pointless.

Even though I did say the stealth was pointless, it's quite exciting and exhilarating to be able to dodge past guards even they wouldn't see you anyway. The stealth has clearly been worked on a lot as it's a big element within the game, but the whole game itself to me has been a big let down, and my big expectations have been shattered.

Does anyone have this game, what do you think of it?

2. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Thank for writing this review. Looks like you are right on point with your assessment because I have heard the same thing from numerous people. I was planning on picking it up but heard it was quite a disappointment. I may get it when it is substantially cheaper but for now it looks like I'll have to hold out and use that extra cash for Titanfall. ;)

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which console is the new Thief for? I had the older Thief for the original XBox and it was a great stealth game. I still haven't finished it because I was playing it one night when I got a 4AM phone call that one of my family members had died. So the old Thief is a great game, but now I have a bad memory associated with it.

I heard there was a new Thief out. It's disappointing to hear that it's full of bugs and glitches. Part of the fun of sneaking past people was the smart AI that reacted if anything was slightly amiss.
    It sounds like that's gone. Are there difficulty settings? Could you play it on a harder mode to make the guards more responsive?